A true 2 inches from wand to waste tank.

John Watson

Today, for the first time, I ran a true 2 inch system from my waste tank including my in line filter to my wand.

I finally got rid of all the bottlenecks from the waste tank to the wand.

1 The thru tank fitting was pvc and reduced it down to 1 3/4 ID changed it to a 2 1/2 sweep el.

2 4 ft 2 1/2 OD rubber hose that coupled to 2in pvc fittings which also had an ID of 1 3/4 inches which coupled to my 2 inch cool cuff male adapter fitting was changed to 10 ft of 2 1/2 ID hose. Which now connects to my modified pool filter.

Modified pool filter, Using a saw cut off both male ends. On the large end I installed a 2 1/2 hose barb with a nut into a 3 in hole I drilled and sealed with loc tite plastic epoxy. On the cap end I drilled a 2 1/2 inch hole and installed a 2 inch cool cuff male adapter with a washer made from a 2 inch abs pipe fitting also utilizing the epoxy. Please note I had the use of a machine shop at my disposal for tools. I used a chop saw to cut off the ends and a drill press to drill my holes. to make sure the holes were centered for my hole saws I turned a couple of wooden plugs to center my pilot bit in.

My machine vac system cannot be used without this filter housing in place
so we just put a nylon sock in it!!!!! (In the SS filter)

I am not sure if it was just me, but I think I heard and felt a definite improvement in the air flow noise and suction from the hose before I coupled it to the wand on our job today.

Cost break down

$67.70 in line filter on sale at JonDon includes tax Normally $79
37.85 2 hole saws and 1 mandrel at Sears
4.30 Loc Tite Plastic Epoxy at Lowes
25.00 2 1/2hose barb with conduit nut
???? Male cool cuff adapter (Can't remember what I paid Joe)
$134.85 plus 2 hours of labor

Friends, There is this dummy friend of mine making and selling these things really really cheap. You need to talk to Greenie, This was a pain in the butt job that is best left to someone mass producing these for us.

Helen and I, We be sucking!!!

Now, We can tell our clients "More suck for the buck"

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
drill some holes in the bottom of the ss filter and you will pretty much made the one I made and posted except I used swivel cuffs....and with the holes the flow will increase....Don't flip the filter ..I tried it and it did not want to flow as good.just put the stocking in it like I showed in the picture and let it pull threw from the out side like it was designed to do...................??

I here threw the CC grape vine that someone already seen my pictures and this is already in the works for mass production.....and the numbers I have seen it will be much cheaper.....?????

John Watson

Jim, I followed your directions and pictures to a T. I apologize for not giving you your due. Greenie has been making them for $149 which is still way too cheap. My filter housing was the blue tinted one which at first thought was not as thick as the clear one. Nada there the same thickness..

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Y doesn't someone make a pool filter that mounts in the truck. All I need is one more thing to fall out of the truck in the winter and shatter to tiny pieces...cause thats what happens to those things.

A stainless version or heavy composite version would be nice. I guess i'll just have to make a prototype and do it myself.

Chads

Supportive Member
Kevin I believe that they do its called a filter box or canister look at the pics of Judson's machine and the canister next to it, pretty sweet stuff

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
besides that, read your own words....POOL filter....we just have taken it from the aquatics line and made it fit the carpet cleaning line...

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
John Watson said:
Jim, I followed your directions and pictures to a T. I apologize for not giving you your due. Greenie has been making them for $149 which is still way too cheap. My filter housing was the blue tinted one which at first thought was not as thick as the clear one. Nada there the same thickness..

That's fine.I am not looking for credit......I knew when I posted it someone would run with it.........I was leaning more towards telling you to drill holes in the bottom of the ss filter......it increased the flow a lot.......

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Kevin Bunce said:
Y doesn't someone make a pool filter that mounts in the truck. All I need is one more thing to fall out of the truck in the winter and shatter to tiny pieces...cause thats what happens to those things.

A stainless version or heavy composite version would be nice. I guess i'll just have to make a prototype and do it myself.

one could very easy make a cradle for a pool filter to sit in so it does not fall

Greenie

Everyone has to decide what works for them, but I know when the filter is flipped, holes drilled in bottom and stocking on the outside the Crap tends to build at the truck end in a doughnut leaving the main body of the filter open for airflow, it's just not as tidy, you don't throw the stocking out with the crap, you brush it off and put it back.

I must have a hundred guys with drilled filters, and at least 10 with epoxy barbs like Watson. I really like Jim's coolcuff mod., I just need to find a way to make it really secure, on the barbed ends I can use a metal conduit nut followed with epoxy, this is the conclusion Kevin Brenny and I arrived at as being the best universal answer since 90% of the industry doesn't have coolcuffs currently.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Everyone has to decide what works for them, but I know when the filter is flipped, holes drilled in bottom and stocking on the outside the Crap tends to build at the truck end in a doughnut leaving the main body of the filter open for airflow, it's just not as tidy, you don't throw the stocking out with the crap, you brush it off and put it back.

here is what I found ..... Maybe John can run a test and see if I missed something........with the filter flipped and the hose on the outside .the filter starts to get blocked with all the crap and you start loosing suction ..all that crap it going to build up where ever the air is pulling............

with the filter set right and the hose on the inside .(with the holes in the bottom of the SS basket) it causes the lint and crap to form in a ball in the bottom of the nylon and keeps all the side of the basket free with no build up.....

John Watson

Till day before yesterday (Tuesday) I was hooking my filter up basAackwards the way Greenie is talking about. Even though not a true2 inch system, We vacuumed every job, filter still plugged. Sock would get an even layer like an overcoat on it. We would brush it off and use the sock again.

We have completed 4 jobs with filter in the designed position. Same sock, I would check it every job. Yesterday afternoon at the end of the 4th job I pulled it and the sides of the sock were not covered with the overcoat and there was a ball in the toe end. Just like Jim is describing. But now there is crap on the inside of the lid that I have to clean up which wasn't a problem before.. Oh Well!!! I thank you both for the tips and getting me set in the right direction..

John Watson

Wow, did we ever suck today....

First time since the 2 1/2 inch modification berber style with a high low loop pattern.

Almost had to go get the wd-40 to lube the glide so it would glide easier....

Hose has a nice mellow sucking tone to it now,,,,,

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
We have completed 4 jobs with filter in the designed position. Same sock, I would check it every job. Yesterday afternoon at the end of the 4th job I pulled it and the sides of the sock were not covered with the overcoat and there was a ball in the toe end. Just like Jim is describing. But now there is crap on the inside of the lid that I have to clean up which wasn't a problem before.. Oh Well!!! I thank you both for the tips and getting me set in the right direction..

With this set up and the way it balls in the end.....under normal circumstances
I don't worry about changing the sock until after I am done......most times I can go 2 to 3 jobs and not lose suction... When I do change it I just use the ball and wipe the inside of the lid and I have a small trash can inside my side door that I just pitch everything in and empty at the end of the day...You will also notice that because of the way it pulls threw the filter..you really get no smell at all because the ball is pretty my dry.......John..do you run just a straight 2.5 inch or do you run a 4 to the door set up..............

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom