A visit to the Butler Factory - infomercial

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
larry the big problem with swing out doors is room..we always park in driveways
and sometimes (50%) there is a car there..with a slider room is not a issue but
with swing out it is..also when it is windy the doors will blow open or closed..
after running a slide open i would pass on a swing out even if it were a good
deal

Name
Lee Stockwell
Have had several of both.

Some pluses of the swing out are: wider door opening, allowing better access, and the ability to run dually rear end.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
i had a slider door BREAK on me once......
right in the custys driveway!
I opened it......
slid it back....
and it jus kept sliding till it fell off right there in front of Mrs Phifft........ :oops:

but sliders ARE still better than barn doors that flap in the wind......

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We've had both, the slider is nice and easy to close but I think I prefer hinged.

The opening is bigger and while your doors may flap, you can prevent it with a bunge cord, but you can never get the opening bigger.

Not really had the issue with the hinges? We do wash out trucks a lot and so maybe that helps? Or Maybe since our winters are as bad they don't get the corrosion. ???

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
I like the hinge doors better for the opening. Never had a rust problem but have had a problem with the track for sliding.

Jimbo

Ed said:
Not to mention the hinges rust and break and they are expensive to replace.

Only if you are in the Rust Belt!

I am using a sliding...I prefer swinging! Doors that is!...I don't want anyone parked in the driveway anyway...

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We've had both, the slider is nice and easy to close but I think I prefer hinged.

The opening is bigger and while your doors may flap, you can prevent it with a bunge cord, but you can never get the opening bigger.

Not really had the issue with the hinges? We do wash out trucks a lot and so maybe that helps? Or Maybe since our winters are as bad they don't get the corrosion. ???

I understand there's a kit that will allow the slider door to go back farther. We haven't bothered since the CDS leaves a lot of room anyway. Sliders grunge up and the rollers need to be replaced (they require more attention than swing-outs) but they're cleaner in a lot of other ways.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I use the barn doors. If I can't get them open, then I'm too close to something....a car, a wall. Hint.....I use these neat little items called "bungies" to hold doors open when windy. They match the van color so you can't really see them.

kendallsdad

Supportive Member
The side door opening on a 2011 GMC Savana is 47 1/8" for both swing-out doors and sliding doors.

Name
Lee Stockwell
kendallsdad said:
The side door opening on a 2011 GMC Savana is 47 1/8" for both swing-out doors and sliding doors.

I think the opened door still covers some of that opening in the full open position?

kendallsdad

Supportive Member
Lee Stockwell said:
kendallsdad said:

I think the opened door still covers some of that opening in the full open position?

Yes, but so do the swing out doors. I've tried some different measurements and here is what I came up with.
If you measure the edge of the door to the opposite side its about 42.5" on a slider
With swing out doors you're about 44".

I experimented with different size boxes and they both accommodate roughly the boxes. The big difference is dealing with the two doors flopping in on you.

Most people that don't like sliding doors had a bad experience prior to 2003. Now GM and Ford have pretty solid sliding doors.

kendallsdad

Supportive Member
Lee Stockwell said:
kendallsdad said:

Yes, but so do the swing out doors. I've tried some different measurements and here is what I came up with.
If you measure the edge of the door to the opposite side its about 42.5" on a slider
With swing out doors you're about 44".

I experimented with different size boxes and they both accommodate roughly the boxes. The big difference is dealing with the two doors flopping in on you.

Most people that don't like sliding doors had a bad experience prior to 2003. Now GM and Ford have pretty solid sliding doors.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I agree Matt, we tried butlers with swing doors because of the pre-2003 problems, but went back to sliders the last few because they are better now and the barn doors were a pain in the butt.

Ken

Dmreed4311

Supportive Member
Name
David Reed
My vans all have barn doors but the next one will have a slider. when doing apartments the space is often tight and a slider will make life much easier.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I was told it is really hard to find sliders. Gm is discontinuing them soon

Sent from my g2 using tapatalk. Whofat

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom