A word on beating odors...

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Suck up! :winky:

ahhh (clearing of throat).....I too found your article to be helpful and read it all.

Psst what was it about?

:p

Thanks Shawn as always your help is much appreciated....as is your patience with Marty.....ok ok me! :icon_redface:

Reactions: hogjowl

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Shawn, you mentioned several compounds: "mercaptans, sulfides, amines and certain aldehydes"

I'm familiar with hydrogen sulfide (and its smell - yuck). Would the smell be similar for all 'sulfides'?

Could you list real-life examples of the other compounds you mentioned?

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Shawn, you mentioned several compounds: "mercaptans, sulfides, amines and certain aldehydes"

I'm familiar with hydrogen sulfide (and its smell - yuck). Would the smell be similar for all 'sulfides'?

Could you list real-life examples of the other compounds you mentioned?

Mercaptans (also known as thiols) are the key odor from skunks. Amines include ammonia. Aldehydes would include formaldehyde as a prime odorous example. You already covered an example of hydrogen sulfide. All are strong odors due to the shape of the molecule as Shawn explained.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Not a single one of you guys read all that.

Stop acting like you're interested.

Nobody thinks your smart.

Uummm..that is incorrect Marty- I read every word of it and some parts twice, to try to actually understand it.

Reactions: hogjowl

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
I thought it was a real 'gem in the rough' not often somebody will so eloquently describe what the mechanism of chemical action is for all the various odor control agents.

Odors are among the harder things to deal with in my very limited experience if 18 months. I have learnt that I can often make a very compelling visual impact without much fuss. Pee, decay matter and dampness and dig oil odours are super challenging on some jobs.

This really helps.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom