Accelerated truckmounts ?

jimmyolas

Has anyone have any recent transactions with duane?
Or does anyone have any inside info as to how solid his company is right now or dependsbility ?
Any orders for tm over the past 3 to 6 months ?
How was the experience ?
How long did it take to get truckmount? Was it on time.
Any help would be appreciated .
Jimmy .

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?hlaci0

Name
Lee Stockwell
I've known Duane for 12 years, good guy. He always delivers, but I think he gets too optimistic with his timelines, especially for new design fabrications.

He's basically a one man show, with a couple of helpers. Given the recent history of Steam Way, PowerClean, White Magic, Hurricane, Blueline, Ace, and other defunct companies, it's amazing he's still at it.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Currently, we have standard frames and tanks in stock. What that means is that we have the fabricated parts such as frames, tanks, etc. in stock and ready for assembly, which is a big shift from the way we did things before. That shift is, in essence, to cut the time of production by cutting fabrication wait- time. The way we've done that is to stock those parts, vs. ordering them on an as- needed basis.

This is common- sense, I know. But because we make so many models of systems, keeping that many models in stock simply isn't practical. Some systems we sell very few of, while others seem to "pulse" in sales, compared to each other, so it's difficult to predict exactly what the next likely order will be- and therefore, which systems to have at the ready.

We do have some systems in stock. But even for those we don't, we can assemble them when ordered within 3 days of the order.

Previously, our frames were made by the same fabricator we've used since 2002. But about a year and a half or so ago, we pulled the system frame fabrication from them and went more or less, "in- house" with it- which is why our turnaround time got so much faster (3 days on average) for system frames. This was done by having the same fabricator make frame parts on the CNC machine (no loss of quality- no change of design in any way), but us doing the welding. We are in the process of doing the same thing with the aluminum welding, which will complete the goal of reducing production time.

What does take time, and at times can be a serious strain on patience- is when custom orders are placed for items that we do not, or have never, produced. In such cases, the items in question typically have to be designed by me, then submitted to the fabricator and put into their production line. They don't get excited about "one-sies" as they call it, so they typically see single- item orders as kind of a nuisance that they do as side- work. (They're done almost as a "favor", in other words.) So there can be a gap there that can't be forced, as much as I'd like other-wise.

Recent references include SteamLine in St. Augustine, Fl. and Professional Carpet Systems in Augusta, GA.: 3 Dominators in all.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Dominator 3047 Demo Partial 1 Week Turnaround (Currently in re-assembly after inspection. Recovery tank being made.)
Dominator 2545 Partial- 2 day turnaround
Dominator 2036 Partial- Ready

Viper 2036
Viper 2545 Partial- 2 day turnaround
Viper 1833 Partial- 2 day turnaround

Predator Unleashed Partial- 2 day turnaround

FloodMaster is currently the longest "out". Frame parts will be in next week.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Duanes machines have a lot of nice features, one of which is they don't look garage built.

gene

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Yes.

We've made 3 to date. There were definitely some kinks to work out. One thing that I changed was spreading the bundle of tubes so that we could insert temperature probes deeper into the "heart" of the exchangers.

One of our customers here has about 20 systems that we maintain for them. They bought 3 exchanger systems from another company here that were made in house, using exchangers fabricated elsewhere. (There were several things done wrong on them, that the original company couldn't seem to figure out, so they brought them to us to see what we could do.) All 3 systems are different and it was interesting to compare them to see the learning curve of the other company at work on those systems.

In the process of re-designing and adapting those systems, I got to further confirm my ideas about "what not to do" as well as try different approaches to similar issues, which was a great opportunity for me to study another way of doing things, as well as to remedy the problems for the customer.

We have such a focus on secondary- fuel- for- heat systems that there's a lot of inertia there, in terms of what people call us for. But I've been working on a concept for the Viper model that will feature heat exchange heat instead of propane. I'm planning to call it "Viper HX". When I feel confident in it being as stable as I want and the finished product looks like a "finished product", we'll make a point of announcing it via YouTube and our web site, as well as direct mail, etc.

Thanks.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That sounds promising Duane, that would purchasers another option.

With gas prices going up again the last thing you need is a secondary fuel source for heat adding to the already rising cost of goods sold.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Richard:

Each type of heat has an advantage over the others. As a purchaser, you have to be the one to decide if one is a better "fit" for you over another.

Propane is the simplest and costs less up front. It can generate as much heat as oil- fired systems, if it's designed to. But there is the continued fuel cost to factor in. And it's mainly available during business hours, so, you need to plan ahead if you do night work, etc. A cost of$35 a week for someone who runs "hot" and does a lot of work is typical. So, in a year, based upon 52 weeks, propane cost of $1,820 is reasonable to expect.

Heat Exchange systems cost significantly more up front for comparable heat to propane and oil- fired systems. This is because the size of the components is directly- related to the heat the system delivers. (They typically weigh more as a result, as well.) And, for a HX system to generate substantial heat, it will have 2 or perhaps even 3 types of exchangers- each adding cost and complexity to the system. But you never have to buy that secondary fuel for heat. Based upon national brands, a HX system that delivers propane- like heat will sell for about $20,000, which is about $5,000 more than a propane system. So you'll need to keep the HX system 3 years to break even with regard to that increased cost. And with the complexity of HX systems, with more to "go wrong" as the system ages, that increased maintenance cost has to be considered.

Oil- fired systems are legendary. But they're also known to not burn as clean as propane. And they stink, unless you like the smell of diesel or kero. They're also more complicated than propane, but less so than most heat exchange systems. And the fuel is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Fuel for oil- fired systems costs similar to gasoline, but there are more BTU's in a gallon of it than in propane, so fuel costs are lower.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Duane Oxley said:
Richard:

Each type of heat has an advantage over the others. As a purchaser, you have to be the one to decide if one is a better "fit" for you over another.

Propane is the simplest and costs less up front. It can generate as much heat as oil- fired systems, if it's designed to. But there is the continued fuel cost to factor in. And it's mainly available during business hours, so, you need to plan ahead if you do night work, etc. A cost of$35 a week for someone who runs "hot" and does a lot of work is typical. So, in a year, based upon 52 weeks, propane cost of $1,820 is reasonable to expect.

Heat Exchange systems cost significantly more up front for comparable heat to propane and oil- fired systems. This is because the size of the components is directly- related to the heat the system delivers. (They typically weigh more as a result, as well.) And, for a HX system to generate substantial heat, it will have 2 or perhaps even 3 types of exchangers- each adding cost and complexity to the system. But you never have to buy that secondary fuel for heat. Based upon national brands, a HX system that delivers propane- like heat will sell for about $20,000, which is about $5,000 more than a propane system. So you'll need to keep the HX system 3 years to break even with regard to that increased cost. And with the complexity of HX systems, with more to "go wrong" as the system ages, that increased maintenance cost has to be considered.

Oil- fired systems are legendary. But they're also known to not burn as clean as propane. And they stink, unless you like the smell of diesel or kero. They're also more complicated than propane, but less so than most heat exchange systems. And the fuel is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Fuel for oil- fired systems costs similar to gasoline, but there are more BTU's in a gallon of it than in propane, so fuel costs are lower.

I've known Duane for the better part of 15 years. He's sold dozens of machines to my contractors over the years. he always stands behind his warranties and works to get them in and out quickly. He has competed sucessfully against JonDon and TCS in the Atlanta market for a reason: He is innoventive and keeps his systems simple and easy to repair.

The only problem I have over noticed is that his workload ( his units are in high demand here in the ATL market) sometimes gets in the way of meeting timelines. Thankfully those delays rarely exceed a day or two.

Mikey P

Administrator
Cole, do you pay your subs the same if they chose to use a truckmount as you do your portable equipped guys?

or more because they can actually wet clean "Berbers"...lol

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
For me the extra time it takes to get propane has always been the biggest draw back. Plus when you have employees, it was not uncommon to have someone neglect to monitor their propane level and they would have to finish a job or steps with cold water. good lord Vawter, just die already.

They are lower entry and can be great units with hot temps but the additional hassles will keep me with heat exchange.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Mikey P said:
Cole, do you pay your subs the same if they chose to use a truckmount as you do your portable equipped guys?

Contractors that have truckmounts are paid a higher rate. (no I can't post it)

gregcole said:
Mikey P said:

You said before you paid them an additional 3 percent. KMA!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'd almost do it the other way. I mean other than in Marty's case, a TM will allow you to be more productive than a portable.

So the portable guys need mo-money!

jimmyolas

allright, here is some of the details.
I have a sledgehammer from about 9 years ago, so when i decided to buy a new tm or used , i came up with the idea to get a partially new tm,
our sledge hammer has pretty new cat pump, motor and heater coil , but blower, waste tank and other nick nacks are in bad condition.

i ordered a partial dominator. everything except , motor, cat pump and heater coil.
on the waste tank i wanted the tank to go strait up as apposed to the van seat angle it has usually.

i gave duane a deposit on April 2 2012 ( 50 %) ,

duane is apparently having trouble with custom waste tank fabricator not finishing up.

its been 9 weeks since i payed the deposit i am leaving the country in a couple weeks and needed this machine to be here long ago so i can be sure we have a good machine while i am gone.

Duane called me tonight ( monday) and said it is ready to go out tomorrow. hoping he can also complete the tank i needed as well and keep our deal.
i look forward to a great machine from duane when it gets here.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
We did get the frame ready to ship today, but not in time for pick up by the freight company. So it goes tomorrow.

As I said, the tank has been the hold up. As always with a new project of any complexity, they move more slowly on the programming side of things to make sure that there are no misunderstandings. In addition, the fabricator gave me target after target, but kept pushing us back when orders from their largest customers came in. They actually told me Thursday that it would be two weeks before they would weld it up, even though the parts are ready, because they got a large "rush" order in from their largest customer, that had a 7- day due- date. We had a heated discussion as a result of that and I resolved to do as we've done with system frames- pull the welding from them and do it ourselves.

It would have been much simpler for me to simply say, "No, I won't design a new kind of tank for you.", but when I originally checked with the fabricator, they were super- slow. During the time I designed the tank, that changed.

I totally agree that this tank thing has taken way too long. I've had more talks with the fabricator about it than I can count. As I said, we pulled frame fabrication from that fabricator for this very reason. Aluminum welding is another thing entirely. But we've been working to do the same thing with that- having them make the pieces and us do the welding.

I hate that this has taken as long as it has. Custom work seems to do that more often than not. Maybe the lesson here for us is not to get involved in custom work...

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Sorry Duane but I think your making a bad and unfortunate situation worse by asking for an additional partial payment at this time. The delay in delivery of the complete package may not be your fault but your customer deserves better than you asking this of him. He's the one who has been inconvenienced. None of my business, I'm just saying and I believe you are trying to operated a quality company.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Yeah. I agree. I spoke too soon and in frustration. Not a good thing to do and not the way I typically do things.

We had a long day today, which ended after 9:00 PM with no time for lunch, and I simply wasn't my best when I got home and first read everything.

I spoke with Jimmy a few minutes ago and we came to better terms.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom