Advertising Budget and general plan...

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
davegill said:
lee it was 5 years ago on march 26th that i did my first job!! crazy what i have changed, wasted
made and evolved into..if i could start over with the knowledge i have...scary the money i would save
at the beginning.

i will help him with as much real world info as i can but he cant move to fla..
not enough room for both of us..lol
you ether brian..florida is closed!!!

We were close to moving to Destin before we moved here.

I'm thinking we should have moved to Destin. lol

Jen was a DJ in Jacksonville
lite 96
WQIK 99
Groovin oldies 105.3 and 105.5
Mix 105

That was about 10 years ago.

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
B&BGaryC said:
Chicken, not lazy.

I think everyone can tell you that they felt "chicken" or nervous on starting their own business. Gees, man, you went to SFS, you have the knowledge of running the carpet cleaning business. You obliviously have the knowledge of carpet cleaning. you have a company there in Billings with support (Express Dist) or at least nationwide in JonDon. Plus all the mikeyboarders helping you out!! :lol:

I think in your case, it is more nervous than chicken. Sorry bout calling you lazy earlier, (hence, why I edited that thread felt guilty). Look, you already know the numbers as to what it takes to run a successful business. You have a customer list already, because it was you that built that list. Winter isn't that bad in Billings as you have basically the same weather we have here in Spearfish.

but hey, do what ever you feel is right. what does the little woman say? how does she feel about this? have you been talking with her about all of this? big decision to make, make sure she is included no matter if you stay with your current job or venture out to start you own.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
She wants me to advertise my DJ business during the winter, get holiday parties and winter formal sort of things plus have savings to get throught the winter.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Perception is so funny.

I never felt worried or "chicken" at all starting anything. I credit my parents with burning into my brain that no one ever got wealthy working for someone else.

Pro football players are rich

The guy who signs their check is wealthy.

I believe it might have been Chris Rock who said that.
!dork!

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
B&BGaryC said:
She wants me to advertise my DJ business during the winter, get holiday parties and winter formal sort of things plus have savings to get throught the winter.

no offense but the dj thing wont get you rich my friend..build your res side then attack the commercial
side from your res customers and name your price..then in the winter your commercial work carries you while
you sit at home chilling out while your commercial guys run your cimex from job to job..
i am not saying its not scary but if it was easy everyone would be doing it..i would never and will never
work for anyone again...ever!! i ahd a offer on my company not too long ago and turned it down for
that reason..it was a nice offer but not what i can make in the next 10 years..close your eyes pinch your nose and jump

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
davegill said:
B&BGaryC said:

no offense but the dj thing wont get you rich my friend..build your res side then attack the commercial
side from your res customers and name your price..then in the winter your commercial work carries you while
you sit at home chilling out while your commercial guys run your cimex from job to job..
i am not saying its not scary but if it was easy everyone would be doing it..i would never and will never
work for anyone again...ever!! i ahd a offer on my company not too long ago and turned it down for
that reason..it was a nice offer but not what i can make in the next 10 years..close your eyes pinch your nose and jump

Eventually one must decide if they are capable of swimming in the deep end. I had to make that jump in 1997 when i decided to grow it from 3 techs to 7. It was damn scary. Every fiber of my being was nervous but i knew it was the right course of action. I had done my due diligence, had the number to support my plans. I just had to pull the trigger....
Then a few years later I decided to grow it some more. Same deal..... We currently run between 50-60 techs every day (Monday - Sat). Thanksfully I grew a pair and went for it.

it's ok to be afraid. Just do your homework BEFORE you do anything. AND you should go to SFS

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Oh, a general update. We have been rockin' and rollin' since we got the new van and nobody has breathed word one about changing my pay to commission. If I can keep it busy until winter I should effectively dodge that bullet for a year. If he tries to switch me to commission going into winter I will respond to it as if it were a request to resign.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
B&BGaryC said:
Oh, a general update. We have been rockin' and rollin' since we got the new van and nobody has breathed word one about changing my pay to commission. If I can keep it busy until winter I should effectively dodge that bullet for a year. If he tries to switch me to commission going into winter I will respond to it as if it were a request to resign.

Congrats! If I may make a suggestion: Don't do what most business owners do. They usually decide 6-12 months later to monkey with the pay again! That usually ends in disaster!

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
I have no control over who monkeys with my pay and why. However I hope they will rather give me what I need to turn them a profit rather than worry about how much I cost them during the slow season.

Name
Lee Stockwell
B&BGaryC said:
I have no control over who monkeys with my pay and why. However I hope they will rather give me what I need to turn them a profit rather than worry about how much I cost them during the slow season.

Gary that's not true. You either negotiate or acquiesce to your pay and working conditions, and in either case you have control. I've watched your situation for a while and if I were your boss I'd be looking quickly for your replacement.

In a cyclical business the numbers to which you should pay attention are your ANNUAL figures. Over time seasonal variations will level out some. Early on my carpet cleaning would vary from as low as 30% to as high as 160% of average (Annual/12). Each year the chart would move up some and the variations would flatten a little. The "pattern" is still similar now to 30 years ago, but I'm not blindsided by it any more.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
We already have my replacement. I trained him well. I'm willing to listen if you would be willing to list your reason for wanting to replace me.
I usually only get two responses when asking for advice:
You need to buy your own company and ditch your boss.
or
I would have fired you years ago.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Gary- I am impressed by the fact that you keep sticking your neck out when it gets karate chopped almost every time. That tells me you have determination- or are dumber than shit :-)

I think you have made it very clear that you are not going into business for yourself. If you would like to talk sometime about your situation and how you might accomplish what YOU WANT, not what others here want for you, pm me and we can figure out a day/time.

Name
Lee Stockwell
B&BGaryC said:
I am stubborn and a bit bitter about all the ways I feel I have been wronged over the years. Of course taking no accountability for the ways in which I have wronged my employer. The biggest of which being giving up on planning and working on expanding because it is too much of a challenge to get him to listen to what I have to say.

I just read the entire website.

You don't fit. Sorry, good bye.

Edit: I would also examine the future of the person you trained, he may be infected with attitude as well....

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Lee Stockwell said:
[quote="B&BGaryC":94h12lrs]I am stubborn and a bit bitter about all the ways I feel I have been wronged over the years. Of course taking no accountability for the ways in which I have wronged my employer. The biggest of which being giving up on planning and working on expanding because it is too much of a challenge to get him to listen to what I have to say.

I just read the entire website.

You don't fit. Sorry, good bye.

Edit: I would also examine the future of the person you trained, he may be infected with attitude as well....[/quote:94h12lrs]
When I wrote that I was ready yo leave. I had done all I could do. I had gotten one mailing in to too many 3 postcard compaigns and showed no result. I had gotten 6 weeks into too many advertising campaigns to stop them right when they got our phone ringing. I had spent years trying to straighten out our Google local listing only to have him throw the post card away EVERY DAMN TIME. There was no point anymore. I was ready to get the boot or quit. There was no incentive to come up with an idea to get business if it wouldn't be implemented. Something changed when we got the 2nd van though. He realized he could delegate things to me instead of micromanaging me and I would produce results. I don't know if he did it as a test or if I finally put a big enough stack of checks on his desk or if it was a desperation move but he stopped fighting with my ideas and I started presenting them in context of projected revenue or projected savings. I want to produce for the company, and I knew someday when I did whatever it was that he wanted he would actually let me run the carpet side of the company instead of just gelling everyone I did it. I proved myself and now he has given me the freedom I need to succeed. Its also the reason I am back here learning and networking and getting ideas. Because for the time being I am being rewarded instead of punished for trying something new.

Also, I am # 7 of 8 carpet cleaners since the company started and NOBODY has brought the numbers up to the point they are at. EVER. Still room for improvement but at least I can try now.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
HARPER said:
Dave Yoakum said:
B&B doesn't have crap for backlinks.

What's with that?

Did you & B&B....sUckLe from the same "TEET"...as InfAnT's.... :roll:

You must have been bottle fed as an infant and have been craving teets ever since to compensate.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Dave Yoakum said:
HARPER said:
[quote="Dave Yoakum":4z6s56g5]B&B doesn't have crap for backlinks.

What's with that?

Did you & B&B....sUckLe from the same "TEET"...as InfAnT's.... :roll:

You must have been bottle fed as an infant and have been craving teets ever since to compensate.[/quote:4z6s56g5]

NOpE... :!:

I was BOTTLE fed from "21 to 41"...mostly DEWAR'S.... :shock:

Trust Me.. :!:
There was NO shortage of "TEET'S".... !gotcha! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom