Advertising On Car Windshields

Crazymcnick

Anyone ever trying putting flyers on peoples windshields? If so was there any success? Doesn't seem like a bad idea to go to a mall you could probably get 1000 cars in an hour or so.

Thanks
Tom

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I think it would be a waste of time as possibly illegal.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I have absolutely no idea. Never done that. I can only tell you this. My opinion is, the shotgun approach to advertising has to be better than no advertising at all. My father in law has a huge pest control business that advertises in just about everything you see around our town, and elsewhere, and I have done NOTHING for over 20 years.

He's rich.

I'm posting on this BDCC board.

Most businesses even churches etc have a no solicitation policy. You can do better than sticking your junk on peoples windows. Atleast that is how they will perceive it. Instead of placing them on the windows, get the permission of the manager or owner and pass them out to people as they come out of the building.

Crazymcnick

I'm not sure if its illegal or not it depends on the area I'd assume... but I tell you what in Chicago people are always putting flyers on cars 90% of the time they are for a restaurant though

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I had a cracked windshield once and the guy left his business card under the wiperbalde, I had my window replaced by him

any other time I toss out the flyer as garbage

sounds like litter to me, almost as bad as nailing it to the telephone pole high enough that people can't tear it down without a ladder

Chris A

Name
Chris
steve frasier said:
almost as bad as nailing it to the telephone pole high enough that people can't tear it down without a ladder

LOL, yeah there's better advertising mediums out there that don't involve such Brokedickery.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
If you try that here you will be fined for littering.

Marketing is relationship building.

Do you really think that placing junk mail on somebody's car is a good way to build a relationship?

Marketing one client at a time by whatever media is impractical at best.

Wouldn't it be a better use of your time to market where a single phone call can bring your company tens to hundreds of new clients every year thereafter.

Then you won't have to embarrass your company by having your litter strewn all over the parking lot.

Marketing doesn't have to be hard to do or expensive.

-JB-

Name
JB

Do you really think that placing junk mail on somebody's car is a good way to build a relationship?

Wouldn't it be a better use of your time to market where a single phone call can bring your company tens to hundreds of new clients every year thereafter.

Then you won't have to embarrass your company by having your litter strewn all over the parking lot.

cut the guy a break if he wants to try it let 'em!

Oh and Dave...

guyvomiting.gif

it's gettin O L D !

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
JB,

I certainly was only trying to give helpful advise.

I wasn't trying to promote my marketing stuff.

I think that kind of advertising on windshields is tacky and will not put your company in a good light and may even get you fined.

I also, think that most one client at a time types of advertising for new clients are likely not the best way to go.

Dave Yoakum said:

Dave, night after night I read your posts about relationship building marketing. Thats great. Why don't you just say contact every real estate agent, store owner, property manager, past customer, church, pastor, etc. and milk them for referrals. That is what you are promoting and I completley agree with you. There is the problem with that strategy though. Most start up carpet cleaners aren't going to have the experience and expertise to compete with companies that are more established. Basically you have to be the top dog with the best equipment and the most professional. If you are, then it is easy for people to refer you. If you aren't and someone comes along more professional with better equipment, then your referral sources are likely to switch unless you are giving them kickbacks. I do agree with you that it is wiser to invest the time and money to get a client that is going to steadily send work your way, but you also need to know what you are doing. Why does Mikey or any other cleaner in a similar postion do so well? I would think it is because of the reputation they have built up and not their pricing or any other gimmick to get people to use their service. So to promote a marketing package for all cleaners is absurd. It takes years for a cleaner to get the knowledge and experience to implement a strategy like yours. A guy with a portable running 49 dollar specials doesn't have a fair shake against someone like Mikey in the referral side of this business. Yes we should build relationships with decision makers, but if a cleaner is a hack then they are just a hack.

To the guy that started this post I understand you need customers and by all means do what you have to. Just take my advice that in five years you will be more experienced and know what works through trial and error, but to believe you are just going to magically get a lot of referrals right away is crazy. You need to learn all you can and model your business around great cleaners. In fact you will probably never hear of the best cleaners in your area probably because they dont advertise. Just don't copy every cleaner that looks successful becasue they probably are not doing as well as you think.

This post wasn't intended to promote any marketing package. :lol:

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Daniel,

Or whoever?

I'm not trying to sell anything here that is why I'm not getting into it on the board.

I'll just say that your assumptions are incorrect.

It's not about milking referrals from past clients or whoever even though that helps also.

Call me sometime tomorrow and I can tell you how it can be done.

Even if the cleaner a start up with one week of experience and with just adequate equipment.

TimP

i tried it one time and got a job out of a couple of hundred fliers. but it was when i first started. I also tried door hangers and didn't get any calls. Word of mouth is the best for sure, getting in the home is the hard part obviously. But I'd probably look into advertising in the form of donations like year books, local sports teams, plays etc. People will appreciate you more if you help the community.

On a side note keeping in the customers mind is more important. I just purchased a bunch of give a way spot cleaning bottles. I'm going to pass them out in a town get together thing next month to advertise. I think it's a much better way of promoting your business than handing out fliers.

duckster

My advertising includes fliers and craigslist.

Fliers distributed in the same neighborhoods every month. That keeps my name out there and I average 2 cleanings per 100 fliers.
Craigslist is the same ad every month complete with pictures, not just words.

My current customers are contacted by mail as well with incentive programs and discounts for referred and the one doing the referring.

Becker

Name
Becker
I hate coming back to my car and having crap stuck on it.

I'd not do it. I'd be to worried I'd end up getting sued.

Person gets in a wreck.. Sez the flier fly up and blocked her/his sight.

Besides, you will put a lot of fliers out in a hurry, but how many of those will be renters, or teens.

I just think it is a bad idea, but that being said. If I offered a service that had to do with cars, like windshield repair... I'd place a small card if I saw a cracked windshield, like above.

Door to door fliers. I use to get about 2 per 100. I've not done it in year, but I know a guy that does them with far less results.
Is it the market?

Hmmm...

Go to the fair grounds, or convention center during the homeshows.. Perhaps that will bring a better demo for the car to car fliers.

duckster

Becker said:
Door to door fliers. I use to get about 2 per 100. I've not done it in year, but I know a guy that does them with far less results.
Is it the market?

Work only newer housing tracts, nothing over 10 years. If you see foreclosures and for sale signs in the neighborhood in a greater number than your own neighborhood, trust me when I say they can't afford it. Yards in bad state of affairs, that reflects on how they care for everything they have. I would avoid those neighborhoods. Duplexes? Renters, bad choice of customers.

So, younger well kept upper middle class neighborhoods are the targets. Same neighborhoods every month, same week of every month, vary the offers, same design though (very important for visual recognition) and while I am at it, I drop by customers houses in the neighborhood to see how they are doing.

-JB-

Name
JB
Keep doing what your doing Mike, you'll probably be more sucessfull than 90% of the BDCC's on here, including the "Guru's"

Rock on.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I had a cracked windshield once and the guy left his business card under the wiperbalde, I had my window replaced by him

any other time I toss out the flyer as garbage

I recommend using the stickers with really tenacious adhesive, the kind that take MEK and a razor blade to get off. Make sure you offer to take it off for them, then they can get to know you. :twisted:

I would spend the effort on delivering your flyers to the doors of homes you'd like to work in. Those people don't like door hangers either, but they'll likely work better than windshield flyers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom