Advice for a New Business?

Hood

I am starting a new business, and would appreciate any advice that I can get from other professionals. I am currently using a RotoVac with a portable extractor 100psi pump and dual 2 stage vacs.

I would like to know what products I should keep onboard?
What tools I should purchase?
Methods?
Classes that I should attend?
Any advice that will help me to run the business, and keep my customers happy..

Thanks for you help..

TimP

I would suggest at least taking the cct or cmt, IICRC class. You can find a schedule from www.iicrc.org. Then go from there and see what works for you. But a good background and foundation is the best way to start and it will keep you from making bad habbits and telling your customers the wrong things. Not to mention to know what problems do arrise and to know how to fix them either being a mistake or something that is normal and not your fault.

Tim

G

Sounds like you may want to include a couple of air movers on the van.

I use a Rotovac as well. Just a word of advice, since you're using a porty, definitely do at least 1-2 dry passes after your wet pass. 100 psi isn't very strong, but with the 6 water jets on the Rotovac it will still soak the carpet. Also, clean that filter sock inside the extraction tank regularly. In fact, if you have a busy day, it will probably be stuffed halfway through the day. When that thing gets full, the loss in vacuum strength is definitely noticeable.

You need a good traffic prespray. There's some good ones out there along with some good boosters to cut through the really tough areas. There's a lot out there, it just depends on your needs and preferences. Do some research, find what works for you.

You also need a spotting kit. You can buy one (which can be crazy expensive), or you can make your own. My kit contains: Red Relief, Stain Magic, Pro-solv Gel, Pro Gel, POG (Paint/Oil/Grease Remover), rust remover, Citru-Solv, Isopropyl alcohol, and WD-40, along with scrapers, agitators, and a good, sharp pair of napping sheers.

I haven't been in the business long at all, but I have learned a lot in the short time I've been doing this and I love it. This board has helped me out a lot. If you have any questions feel free to call or email me. Good luck!

Robert

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Don't forget the business end of your business!!!!

Go to the likes of SFS, read books like The E Myth, Al Ries 22 laws of marketing and 22 laws of branding etc.

(this could all be done with a total cost of less than $1000 + time off depending where you are and travel etc yet could mean the difference between making it or struggling for the first 5 years or more!!)

There's plenty of help available both free (here and other places) and paid for.

Big advertising budget and good know how only help, they are not a guarantee in and of itself for your (hopefully) prosperous venture.

John

W

War Monger

I couldn't agree with you more John. I was thinking the same thing as I was reading down through the posts. The E-myth is a great book to read. I would like to recommend a couple more if I may.

"Before You Quit Your Job" - Robert Kiyosaki
(It's OK to read it if you've already quit) :D

"Flawless Execution" - James D. Murphy

"Guerilla Marketing" - Jay Conrad Levinson

I've been self-employed most of my adult life....I'm 45 now and have owned several businesses. At times it seemed more like my businesses owned me.

There is a big difference between a person who is self-employed and a person who is a business owner. A business owner can take a long vacation, come back, and his business has grown. A self-employed person would be miserable the entire time they're on vacation worried about things, and for good reason. He probably won't have a business to come home to, especially if he left his employees in charge.

And by the way, you need to become a supporting member and get your free 2 gallons of the best darn carpet cleaning chemical on planet earth from Judson Labs.

Fred Homan

Is it true a person can get 2 gallons of Judson's solutions at no charge? How?

GRHeacock

There are a number of fine manuals available that give good information.

I suggest Jeff Bishop's, Bob Wittkamps, and *ahem* mine.

Each one covers a certain amount of the same information, which is fairly important to know, and other information that is unique to each one.

Manuals are written from the viewpoint of the writer, based on their own experience, and what the writer feels is important in addition to the basic information.

So, having more than one is a good idea.

http://www.heacocks.com/manuals.htm

Gary

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom