Advice needed

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I went and did a restaurant that hadn't been done in 7 months. It was gross. So I get down. I resprayed with slop and gobble prescrubbed with a 175 and extracted then post padded. I call for payment 2 weeks later and the guy says it was the worst job ever. I was shocked. No complaints ever.

II figure go back and release itI(encap) in open areas but what do i charge? He let iot get so gross that his carpets suck permantly . Do i press or just say "you know what get someone else" I worled my ass off on this one

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'd go look first before doing any touch up. They develop your plan.

Do you think it's a genuine complaint, or is he just avoiding payment?

I have a car dealership that owes me a chunk and has not paid. We get the run around and finally stopped in and he said he loved how well everything cleaned up t&g and carpet but they guys rubbed the wood with the Cimex and left some blue marks. We told him no problem we will come clean the baseboard marks, which we did. However he has still not paid it!

I have a couple others from regular clients that are never late but not only are they late but won't return calls. Winter has been tough on some people. :errf:

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
he has always been a payment issue. sometimes going out 90 + days buthe may have an issue of it not being where we use to get it because it was just so bad last time. It is a restaraunt that does a lot of business and it was horrible. OI was either thinking cut my losses and saying good luck my friend or if I can make it look better with the cimex do it and get the check. I don't chase people for payment. Usually it is small if I get stiffed but this would be $650 that I really don't care about if I never wor for them again

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Check it out that way you'll know. Being as it was very soiled it possible it could have dried and looked poorly. Remind him it wasn't due to the lack of effort on your part, but you'll willing to touch it up for no charge provided he will pay you for it.

THEN unload your equipment but before you start go collect the check, if he gives it to you, fast load up your equipment! :p

OK, just hit the traffic areas and collect your check. :biggrin:

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
my gut says hit it the traffic areas. get paid and just cut the account

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
You might want to offer him a reduced rate and pay with CASH.
Take $500 and away you go to never do business with him again!

Be super nice to him and even do the traffic areas and then get the CASH.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
I take it this is not a new account. If it were you should have followed up the next day to see their satisfaction level. Obviously you thought you did a good job or I think you would have been concerned and would have called sooner. Sounds to me he is trying to get out of paying. I would do what Richard says and tell him I will touch it up if he pays you that day when you are complete, other wise I would turn away and never go back. Then sounds like he will sucker someone else next.

If I have a new customer that we pick up (especially if it hadn't been cleaned in 6+ months) I always tell them it will probably take 2 cleanings to get it the way it should look.

Reactions: XTREME1

CrazyRay

Name
Ray Waits
Always get an "ok" from who ever locks up that night and follow up next day. A lot can happen in two weeks, including fading enthusiasm for the freshly cleaned carpet. "Worst job ever" is vague, only specific feedback is useful. Also, don't always equate going through all the steps with a job well done. As the professional, we have to know when the carpet is clean. The chemicals, equipment, time, etc. are just the tools we use to get there. They must be applied as needed until you're satisfied with the result. An unhappy customer is usually the result of expectations not met. Set the expectations before you set the equipment.

Of course, he could just be a no payin' som bitch! :errf:

CR

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
I don't do much restaurant cleaning, but the longer I am in the business the less patient I am getting with late pays & non pays. I don't get many, but this past year have had as many as I have had in the previous five combined (5).

A few years ago, there is a local pizza joint that used to staple the bad checks they got on a large bulletin board next to the register. There were some people that I recognized their names. They had five years worth of them up there.

If someone does $1m or more and gets burnt on a few deal, its the price of doing business. But when an OO is putting his life into the business and work, this takes on a whole different meaning.

I wish there was some type of public forum to recognize these people.

To your question, meet him in person to see the problem (if any), as stated above, touch up the traffic areas with cash in hand. Be done with it.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
I would tell him you will be happy to do the next cleaning for free, as soon as his account was caught up. Don't put it in writing though.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Like Doc Holiday said, you have to go back and look and see if the complaint is legit. If it is make it right. If its a case of avoiding payment then you either do what you need to satisfy him and get paid or youll end up losing the 650 bucks. Your choice on whether you work for him in the future or not but a repeat offender shouldnt be a hard decision. Payment is required prior to service if you chose to work in the future on the job. Did he ever sign a work order?

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
nothing needed to be done. He wanted me to come by later because he was going to be tied up with St Patty day season and I said I'd come right over. Pointed out the issues he had asked for my check he paid and I told him to find another cleaner because unless he has a better routine I will not work with him any longer. His wife called and asked me to reconsider and I said not without a contract on a reasonable cleaning schedule nd I can not be held hostage for payment for their negligent practices. worst job i ever did ALWAYS. it was never easy

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
nothing needed to be done. He wanted me to come by later because he was going to be tied up with St Patty day season and I said I'd come right over. Pointed out the issues he had asked for my check he paid and I told him to find another cleaner because unless he has a better routine I will not work with him any longer. His wife called and asked me to reconsider and I said not without a contract on a reasonable cleaning schedule nd I can not be held hostage for payment for their negligent practices. worst job i ever did ALWAYS. it was never easy

So he used a crappy job tactic as a decoy because he was broke and knew St Patricks day would bring him in enough to pay.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I had a restaurant that would call 2 weeks after cleaning complaining it looked like we were never there. It actually needed cleaning every two weeks because the servers had to go into the greasy kitchen to pick up their orders. Super greasy carpet and super hard work. After a few complaints I ended the account. It was a pita and noone was ever happy.

FloorPizza

Name
Brandt
I had a restaurant that would call 2 weeks after cleaning complaining it looked like we were never there. It actually needed cleaning every two weeks because the servers had to go into the greasy kitchen to pick up their orders. Super greasy carpet and super hard work. After a few complaints I ended the account. It was a pita and noone was ever happy.

/facepalm

Yeah, i have to get mad at my wife, 'cause after wearing the same shirt for two weeks in a row, the arm pits smell really bad! I insist that she wash it again.. for free!

Unreal that they think their carpets getting dirty again is *your* fault.

FWWIW (and it probably isn't worth much) I think they're totally taking advantage of you, Greg. They know that customer service is important to you (as well as your pride in the job you do), and are using that to their own advantage. Cut them off like a gangrenous limb.

ThaBeast

Name
Dave
I've been sending my late pays a letter stating that effective 20 days from the letter all accounts 45 days old will be charged $50 per invoice. Consistently overdue accounts will be subject to price increases. Guaranteed to put checks in the mailbox! One account after being repeatedly billed for late charges asked if I would take cash at time of service :) Of cousre, these are accounnts I have dealt with for sometime and/or have tried less expensive cleaners that did a 'less than satisfactory' job than we did.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom