Advice On Relocating

Travis Sonderegger

Supportive Member
Name
Travis Sonderegger
I am planning on moving in about 3 months. I am looking for advice on starting up somewhere I have not previously done business. Any tips or suggestions/questions would be great. I also dont mind being challenged if someone thinks I am wrong, which is something that used to be extremely hard for me :) Still cant say I enjoy it but it is helpful.

I have a website put together. I have been trying to get people to review me and will continue with this as time goes on. The website is www.outwestcarpet.com I have some pictures I am going to get taken and put on there as well. If anyone has any website suggestions, let me know.

As for the other things I am working on or planning to get done before I get over there (It's about 6 hours across the state from where I currently live...)

I have been looking at sending out postcards ( I will be getting there first or second week of April, just before the season starts)

I am working on getting a facebook page put together and going to setup some advertising and things around that. I will also do some drawings for free carpet cleaning out of those who share and like the page, etc... Just to help keep myself busy and spread the word a little more, get the whole word of mouth thing going.

Anyone have any other suggestions for what I can do? I'm really wanting to hit this hard.

FYI, I currently have a full time day job so carpet cleaning has been nights and weekends. When I go over there it will be full time. Taking the leap! I am really excited about it all, I feel like this industry is my passion and I enjoy doing really good work and getting to talk with people.

Thank you once again to all of you on the board who got me started on here and those at Superior who have helped me along the way. I hope to be able to give back to this industry some day as many of you have given to me.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
None of your plans include defining who your target customer is. How are you going to direct traffic to your website? Do you have a Seo person who can help you? Do you want to do commercial, residential or both? One of the hardest things to do (but very profitable) is to knock on doors to introduce your company to the community. My first company, I started in small town Alberta. First door I knocked on was a women's clothing store. The owner didn't need the stores carpets cleaned but sent me directly to her home to clean her house carpets. Her and the husband (both prominent business people) loved the job and started recommending to other business and personal friends. In 3 months we had a booming business that ultimately failed due to family problems. Don't be afraid to knock doors but be prepared with a uniform, cards and brochures, references if you have them. Good luck with your new venture

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I would suggest you have at least a 3 month emergency savings acct. to cover all living expenses before the big move and leaving your day job.. Using credit cards to live on isn't wise if that's what you are planning.

I just finished a great book my sister gave me, its called "The Total Money Make Over" by Dave Ramsey. I make a lot of money but I have trouble keeping it. This book just might change my life--
But Its been one hell of a ride and I've had so Much FUN!! :icon_twisted: :very_drunk::very_drunk::rockon::rockon::rockon:--- so maybe less fun and more wealth building are in my future.

Good Luck on your Move.

Travis Sonderegger

Supportive Member
Name
Travis Sonderegger
Everyone else that replied I will get back to you shortly. Just wanted to comment on the book thing. I have listened to some of Daves Financial Peace University stuf, but not his total money makeover. Have any of you heard of Rich Dad Poor Dad? I am uploading it now in a zip file so if you download and extract it you should be able to put it on your phone or computer and listen to it. That has been a great inspiration to me. I'll get a link posted on here as soon as it finished uploading.

Just found Total Money Makeover too, uploading it as well.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
If the town has a BNI chapter, visit it to see if it's worth a darn. The right group can send you a lot.

Find out what the area actually uses online to see reviews......yelp, angies list, facebook. Every area is unique as to what they use most. Find out what it is and focus on how to shine there.

Google will be used everywhere, so make sure you have a decent website, get reviews on your google plus page and start climbing the rankings.

Reactions: Ken Clean

Travis Sonderegger

Supportive Member
Name
Travis Sonderegger
None of your plans include defining who your target customer is. How are you going to direct traffic to your website? Do you have a Seo person who can help you? Do you want to do commercial, residential or both? One of the hardest things to do (but very profitable) is to knock on doors to introduce your company to the community. My first company, I started in small town Alberta. First door I knocked on was a women's clothing store. The owner didn't need the stores carpets cleaned but sent me directly to her home to clean her house carpets. Her and the husband (both prominent business people) loved the job and started recommending to other business and personal friends. In 3 months we had a booming business that ultimately failed due to family problems. Don't be afraid to knock doors but be prepared with a uniform, cards and brochures, references if you have them. Good luck with your new venture

This is great advice. Thank you. I was trying to do a lot of work getting my website to the front of google then I thought about a lot of my audience may not be going to the internet to find a carpet cleaner. The postcards will direct them straight to my website or to my phone.

Travis Sonderegger

Supportive Member
Name
Travis Sonderegger
What town?

What is the competition like?
Cedar City, UT. There are a few other competitors. Either people that suck bad or those who do quite well. College town. I feel like those who suck have the kids working that dont care and they dont do a good job. Heard that quite a few times from several different people down there. I think as an owner operator I will be able to do quite well.

Reactions: Ken Clean

Travis Sonderegger

Supportive Member
Name
Travis Sonderegger
I would suggest you have at least a 3 month emergency savings acct. to cover all living expenses before the big move and leaving your day job.. Using credit cards to live on isn't wise if that's what you are planning.

I just finished a great book my sister gave me, its called "The Total Money Make Over" by Dave Ramsey. I make a lot of money but I have trouble keeping it. This book just might change my life--
But Its been one hell of a ride and I've had so Much FUN!! :icon_twisted: :very_drunk::very_drunk::rockon::rockon::rockon:--- so maybe less fun and more wealth building are in my future.

Good Luck on your Move.
There is probably a way to put all 3 quotes together and answer all of the replies in the same message. I apologize for the messiness of things.

Working on selling the house, if all works out will be able to line someone up on friday, really hoping. After selling the house that should leave ~$10,000 in my pocket to sit on. Hoping everything will work out.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Yep-- I read Rich Dad Poor Dad about 8years ago-- Its a good Book.--- But I failed to move into the "I" Quadrant after reaching the "B" quadrant-- this is from of his "Cash Flow Quadrant" book.

What Did I do with all My Money!?

I spent half on parting with beautiful women ----and the Other half I WASTED!!:twisted::twisted::very_drunk::very_drunk::very_drunk::rockon::rockon:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yep-- I read Rich Dad Poor Dad about 8years ago-- Its a good Book.--- But I failed to move into the "I" Quadrant after reaching the "B" quadrant-- this is from of his "Cash Flow Quadrant" book.

What Did I do with all My Money!?

I spent half on parting with beautiful women ----and the Other half I WASTED!!:twisted::twisted::very_drunk::very_drunk::very_drunk::rockon::rockon:
Oh hell, what are you complaining about, sounds like money well spent to me. :winky:

Reactions: Papa John

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
personally Travis I'm very old school. i like to concentrate my work and the best way is door to door. you mail out post cards the week before saying you will be there on a certain day if you want. knock on doors and introduce your self and leave a card, flyer ect.

Reactions: Travis Sonderegger

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
FYI, I currently have a full time day job so carpet cleaning has been nights and weekends. When I go over there it will be full time.

Full time?

As in a full time effort?

Full time consistently turning over jobs is another animal.

How are you going to produce immediate consistent work in a new area to warrant full time dedication?

I can't stress how important part-time steady work can be in supplementing the income gaps that are common when starting from nothing and trying to establish a way to survive without much of a financial safety net.

Establishing steady year-long work from scratch with limited resources can often take YEARS of grinding at it, so be careful in deciding to decline some part-time gig, which may take putting your pride aside a little bit, but will help you maintain the hustle.

I'm not saying this is the exact case with you Travis, because I don't know, but it's just the gritty facts from someone that's been there if it at all helps.

College town?

Off/ON campus housing turnover would be the best direction to focus your efforts.

Travis Sonderegger

Supportive Member
Name
Travis Sonderegger
Travis Sonderegger said: ↑
FYI, I currently have a full time day job so carpet cleaning has been nights and weekends. When I go over there it will be full time.
Full time?
As in a full time effort?
Full time consistently turning over jobs is another animal.
How are you going to produce immediate consistent work in a new area to warrant full time dedication?
I can't stress how important part-time steady work can be in supplementing the income gaps that are common when starting from nothing and trying to establish a way to survive without much of a financial safety net.
Establishing steady year-long work from scratch with limited resources can often take YEARS of grinding at it, so be careful in deciding to decline some part-time gig, which may take putting your pride aside a little bit, but will help you maintain the hustle.
I'm not saying this is the exact case with you Travis, because I don't know, but it's just the gritty facts from someone that's been there if it at all helps.
College town?
Off/ON campus housing turnover would be the best direction to focus your efforts.

Full time as in I dont have to spend 40 hours a week at another job, this will be my main gig, putting time into it 6 days a week until things start to get busy and cash starts flowing in, then I can adjust my schedule as needed/wanted. Also, the wife is going to try and get a job as well so that will provide a bit of a buffer, also be super sweet if she can have benefits as well. I am also not opposed to some part time work on the side, especially if I can get a job somewhere I can meet and talk with people and get a little better known.

As for the apartments, I know Roger quite well, he owns several different sets of apartment complexes. I am going to try and get in a truckmount here this year or next and then go after those. I dont want to try and go at something before I feel like I can handle it well and efficiently. I understand some guys run porty's all the time. While I like my porty and it has its place, packing it up flights of stairs is a pain in the @$$. I know that Roger previously has had the apartment managers find someone to clean the apartments. They have had good cleaners and bad cleaners, I think I could get him talked in to me hitting all of them and then just billing him direct so he doesnt have to fight that battle every year you know? Now that we are talking about this I might actually give him a call in the next couple of days and run some of this by him and see what he thinks.

personally Travis I'm very old school. i like to concentrate my work and the best way is door to door. you mail out post cards the week before saying you will be there on a certain day if you want. knock on doors and introduce your self and leave a card, flyer ect.

Sweet, figured out how to add in another quote. Gene, you are the man. Door to door sucks. I get down pretty easy when people tell me to go to hell all day. Served a mission for the church and told myself I would never do that door to door crap again and here I am :)

I am really not opposed to it and I think if I can drive around and go door to door and then schedule appointments for other days that would be the most effective vs going around and looking for people to be cleaned right away. I may bag the postcard thing, who knows, I sure dont. I should go over there ahead of time and go around knocking doors now and let people know about me, that could be a worthwhile investment of my time. This is all wonderful stuff from everyone, I really appreciate it.

If the town has a BNI chapter, visit it to see if it's worth a darn. The right group can send you a lot.

The seats are already filled for carpet cleaning, I am trying to see if I can get in under carpet repair/restretching.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Travis I agree that door to door selling can be hard. I'm only suggesting you go into neighborhoods and introduce yourself. Like a neighbor. Leave a card and let them know you'd be honored to serve them. It's easier than you think.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Travis I agree that door to door selling can be hard. I'm only suggesting you go into neighborhoods and introduce yourself. Like a neighbor. Leave a card and let them know you'd be honored to serve them. It's easier than you think.
I agree with Gene. Don't go out trying to make sales, just introduce your self and before you do residential (which is really hard) do a little commercial. Walk in, introduce yourself to the receptionist, ask if the Mgr is available, let them know that you are the new guy in town, your here to stay and want to be part of the community

Mikey P

Administrator
Being the dead of winter I have not wanted to spend much if any, in promoting this Nevada adventure..

I was though willing to pay for Yelp advertising. While it's hard to tell just how they are finding us on it, ad or regular page, it's working regardless. The film crew shows up tomorrow to create my included 45 second video.

I created a personal and a business FB page here which has helped build our name already. A neighbor like me for some reason, we hooked up in person to compare landscaping and the next thing you know her daughter invites us to a B2B group. Today we were voted in. A designer or two and a house cleaner and other outstanding citizens has us excited to be a member. Got a coupe from my wife's church and a few other neighbors we met out walking the dogs.

Lucked out and met the head honcho of county maintenance which I feel will turning to lots of commercial once I wow them on a stripping job.
The van is now lettered up and trifolds are in the works..

Supposedly some dude is working on a website for me as well..

All in all things are doing better than I expected at this point and In know time at all I'll be blowing out my lower back and hiring chimps.

Reactions: Chris A
Back
Top Bottom