Advice on upsells

ErikG

can any of you give a few tid bits of what you might be doing to upsell ? "Protector"

Scott

Offering packages makes it a lot easier, esp. if you make the slightly higher (and way more profitable) middle package the "no-brainer" solution. Most successful companies that offer packages use the classic A, B, C approach. Offer one that's really high and gives all of the bells and whistles; offer a middle one that costs less but is loaded with value; and offer a third "budget" or basic package that still provides a great cleaning but doesn't have the extras.

One thing you'll want to do is make the middle and budget packages closer in price than the middle and higher. That way it's easier for them to take the step up to the middle, which not coincidentally will be your most profitable package. Also presenting from high to low makes the middle that much more attractive to the client.

A long time ago we added a callout to the middle program that says "Most Popular Choice". It's a known fact that most customers would rather follow the pack than to go out on a limb, so help them with that thought process by doing the little things that help them make the decision.

It's seldom the big changes that make the most difference to your bottom line but rather incremental changes on a wider range of things.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
when ever you do your walk threw with the client...after you are done hand them this paper and let them know it explains the benefits of applying protector....after you are finished with the job ask them if they decided on putting down protector.....if you have it priced right 85 % of the time this has always worked for me and I did not have to stand there and try to sell it.......

protector.jpg

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
My friend Steve Torburon taught me to ask the customer if they would like me to reapply the protective finish that came with the carpet when they bought it new. Works probably 80 percent of the time. Another way is to include it in with your estimate and tell the customer that the price includes the protective finish that came with your carpet.

-JB-

Name
JB
Use it in your home when you do your own carpets, or better yet just do half, seeing is believing.

It's way easier to sell things you believe in.

Then simply ask. the worst they can say is no.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Thanks, Doug, for reminding me. Three Magic Phrases:

1. "Would you like the protecive finish reapplied?"

2. "Should I renew the carpet's protective finish after cleaning?"

3. "BTW, Mr. Adjuster, FYI we reapplied the protective finish fter we did the final cleaning on the water loss."

This isn't rocket science. Just ask the home owner...

Steve Toburen
Director of highly profitable on-site Up-Selling
Jon-Don's Strategies for Success
http://www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

PS Now if ya wanna make it into rocket science then write me at stoburen@StrategiesForSuccess.com and put the phrase "upselling" in the subject line and I'll send you about 15 pages on how to dramatically increase your upsells of anything in the home but especially protectors. One very profitable way to prosper during tough economic times. BTW, I won't spam you. Just read the informationand if you want include your mailing address so I can send you the free companion DVD. No charge on this either- just please watch it.

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Throw some red Kool-Aid on the carpet and tell them if they would have purchased the protector they wouldn't have a stain now

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
A question that I will get alot is...
"do you leave some kind of protective coating on the carpet when you clean?"
It just seems like most people expect it when you are a "quality" cleaner...or at least tell them that you are.

Not a bad idea uping your price and including it.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I use Steve's questions. When you say "re-apply", that opens up questions.

Then Education! Thats where Jim's sheet comes in, and the brochures if the protector you're using has them. Dupont, Maxim, SG I believe all have a brochure to explain the product.

I don't push, I offer. And I tell them about a personal experience I had with it where my daughter spilled a glass of milk. I didn't run for a towel, I just stood there looking at it for a minute at how it was beaded up on the carpet!

-JB-

Name
JB
That'll be $198. please make check payable to.. 8)

Mike Pailliotet
2888 Estates Dr
Aptos, Ca 95003

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom