Affordable pumpouts....

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Looks like someone "borrowed" my pumpout design that I posted pics of here a few times over the years.

The pump in the Affordable Pumpouts pic looks like the $32.00 Harbor Freight p.o.s. Very sloooow and will burn out the first time it runs dry.

Call Simer Pump (800-468-7876) and get Model BW85P for about $125.00. Get about $20.00 worth of parts from Lowe's and you have an excellent pumpout. Add a Rule bilge switch from West Marine for about $20.00 and you have an excellent automatic pumpout.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I like the idea of installing the pump out in the 2” drain pipe. That’s smarter than drilling a hole into the waste tank. The sump pump floats work much better than marine floats.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I've never used that pump, but I'd bet my prized unfired '71 Colt Gold Cup that Johnny's on the spot

where's Brevic???

he posted pics of his boom box

..L.T.A.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
I wonder why the builder of that APO says to not use it for water extraction (mentioned at the end of the video).

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Bob Savage said:
I wonder why the builder of that APO says to not use it for water extraction (mentioned at the end of the video).

Even my $1200.00 APO and not run aginst full vac load for long with out burning a fuse. If tm manufacturers really wanted to make good APOs they would be belt driven with an electric clutch.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
The reason I asked is the APO we use draws 1.3 amps, will pump against high lift, will keep up with extracting standing water, and will go for weeks with no attention required for it's filter.

I would expect something costing over a grand to work better than what you described.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Bob Savage said:
The reason I asked is the APO we use draws 1.3 amps, will pump against high lift, will keep up with extracting standing water, and will go for weeks with no attention required for it's filter. Are we talking apples to apples? will your APO run Against my Steamway pulling 15” of hg?

I would expect something costing over a grand to work better than what you described.
Me too :x

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
My question is.....with the intake that low, does it draw in the sand and grit that gets by the filters and does it stand up to that debris? My APO intake is about 6 inches off the bottom of the tank, and it uses a nitrile impeller to pump. ( A Jabsco belt drive APO).It moves the grit right along.

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
I used the exact pump and similar plumbing on my first homebuilt TM with the Prochem float switch in my waste tank. You need to keep your incoming waste water filtered. I chewed up a couple impellers when I failed a couple times to filter lint and debris. It worked great and I was running 15" of lift as well. Keep a couple impellers on hand. And yes it is the best kept secret for pump outs. It's sits on my component shelf in my shop next to my $1200 Prochem diaphram pump. What a price difference. Good luck.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
ACE said:
Bob Savage said:
The reason I asked is the APO we use draws 1.3 amps, will pump against high lift, will keep up with extracting standing water, and will go for weeks with no attention required for it's filter. Are we talking apples to apples? will your APO run Against my Steamway pulling 15” of hg?

Me too :x
Yes, Mike, we are talking apples to apples. I use this same APO in our slide-in with a Roots #45 blower, and it pumps against 14" Hg.

Our APO (30 gpm) sits in the bottom of the waste tank, or it can go outside the tank. Either way, even inside the recovery tank, it will go for weeks of daily cleaning and not need any filter attention.

The APO motor will also never wear out! I've not had one fail yet with 10 years of them being in the field.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
NobleCarpetCleaners said:
I used the exact pump and similar plumbing on my first homebuilt TM with the Prochem float switch in my waste tank. You need to keep your incoming waste water filtered. I chewed up a couple impellers when I failed a couple times to filter lint and debris. It worked great and I was running 15" of lift as well. Keep a couple impellers on hand. And yes it is the best kept secret for pump outs.
Scott,

If you put a knee-high on the APO filter, you will be amazed how long the impeller lasts, and it will not get hair in it, which wraps around the shaft. No hair, means a trouble-free operation.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
The one we use is belt- driven, can run dry indefinitely, pump particulates up to 3/8" diameter, pull against 17" Hg. and discharge about 50 GPM.

One of the main things when selecting a pump is having one that can overcome vacuum. And it takes about 2 PSI to equal 1" Hg. So, you need 30 to 32 PSI, just to break even. Ideally, you need twice as much as the "break- even" amount, or 65 to 75 PSI,, from what I've seen and experienced.

S

sam miller

Bob Savage said:

My guess would be it cant keep up with an extreme amount of water intake! like a 500 gal extraction your gonna pull more water and be left waiting for the pump out to catch up? easier to just let it fly out the dump valve when full.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Duane Oxley said:
One of the main things when selecting a pump is having one that can overcome vacuum. And it takes about 2 PSI to equal 1" Hg.

Duane, can you elaborate? The conversion tables I have seen suggest the opposite is true, that approx. 2" Hg = 1 psi.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
I don't know how to elaborate in further detail. Basically, 2 PSI per 1" Hg.

I can re- look it up, but I know I'm right on this one...

1 PSI per 2" Hg. would mean that you'd need 8 PSI to be equal to 16" Hg. and, since you need twice as much as the break- even point, all you'd need is 16 PSI for success.

And it's just not so...

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Suggest you get out the book Duane. Here are a few examples of conversions on the 'net. They can't all be wrong.

conv3.jpg

conv1.jpg

conv2.jpg

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Yep. I just looked it up as well:

15 inch of mercury [0 °C] = 7.367 312 283 5 pound/square inch

So it sure looks like I'm wrong on this one. (It's been a long time since I actually looked at the figures, since the pump we use works well enough that the subject is basically, "closed", for all intents and purposes.) :oops:

But you're not gonna get a pump out pump to work with 15 PSI. (I tried one that was a double- diaphragm back in 2000 and it simply wouldn't work.)

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Duane Oxley said:
But you're not gonna get a pump out pump to work with 15 PSI. (I tried one that was a double- diaphragm back in 2000 and it simply wouldn't work.)

No argument there. Agreed. Depending on the pump's construction, negative pressure on the inlet does weird things to the pump curve. You need a much bigger pump than the figures would suggest (for most pumps).

Name
Lee Stockwell
The problems with a "15psi pump" are that, first, most devices in our industry are "optimistically spec'd", and even at best it would result in a stalemate against the vacuum.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom