after running the judson..my opinion on a jusdon vs a butler

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
ok so my intentions are not to start a who's better debate or a pissing contest..i was asked a question and wanted to post it so everyone could see it and not miss the answer..

first off this judson is saving my butt right now! let me make that clear..dick (and larry cobb) helped me get this dialed in and running awesome and that it is!!

i am still running the butler and will till the new blower gets here or till it freezes up but the judson is taking up 1/2 the slack and all of it if the butler freezes..

so the judson is a great running machine..very reliable so far and pretty simple to use for the most part. i am happy with it but am pretty positive my guys would not get as much work done
in a day with it as they would with the butler..

reason..the judson is a awesome machine...the butler is a awesome SYSTEM.

the set up and break down of a butler system is so simply its scary..i mean stretch some hose, fire up the truck, hit a few switches and start making bank!!

if i were in the home and hoses we run from the butler and from the judson other than the massive heat the butler produces (with a bigger heater the jud would be equal) i wouldnt be able to tell
what unit i was running..

i called my customers at the end of day and everyones carpet got 3-5 hr dry times..pretty good.

i would be more confadent cutting my guys loose with the butler any day of the week but more hesitant with the judson simply because of the propane factor.

the butler breakdown for me and why i will forever be a butler guy..(and i am saying that despite that fact that i feel the judson is a awesome machine as well!!)

64k plus tax on a loaded to the hilt rig..after tax im sitting on 70kish..

i have 7.5 flawless years and 5000 hrs and about 1.5 million dollars made with the rig..only thing to go wrong was a warrantied blower. so other than belts, fluid and oil changes this rig has
not missed a single day of work!! and we run the crap out of our equipment! thats insane in my book..crazy reliability and simple as apple pie to use..no worries at all when the guys go out in any way shape or form..

and not the butlers have a 10 year warranty..i would be golden for another 3 years if i had a little newer unit..im talking 10 years of blower, pump, drive shaft and all covered..nothing to worry about except the truck falling apart around the still running strong unit..

i am very happy i bought the jud and it will be a part of my company for ever because i see it running forever..it will prob go through several trucks lol but the rest of my fleet vehicles will be butlers..

this is MY opinion..there is no right or wrong in this opinion its simply what fits my company and what i will have forever..

i figure in 10 years a 64k investment will return me a min of 2 million at this stage of our company if we dont grow anymore and sit where we are..and that aint happening!!! lol

Mike Draper

I suppose it does all have to do with the system and how its set up for production. After I sold my butler and built my new truck with a Judson for those who don't know, our gross per hour went up by $27.00 for every hour on the truck. At the end of the year, that is a substantial raise. This is without raising our prices as well. Our new truck is extremely productive. That being said, I wouldn't turn an employee loose with my truck. It would be like giving the keys to a new Porsche to a 16 year old. Everything is relative though and each company has to go with what is the most productive system that works for them. I built my truck to suit my needs. If it were for my employees it would be much different.

Reactions: Mikey P

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
I suppose it does all have to do with the system and how its set up for production. After I sold my butler and built my new truck with a Judson for those who don't know, our gross per hour went up by $27.00 for every hour on the truck. At the end of the year, that is a substantial raise. This is without raising our prices as well. Our new truck is extremely productive. That being said, I wouldn't turn an employee loose with my truck. Everything is relative though and each company has to go with what is the most productive system that works for them. I built my truck to suit my needs. If it were for my employees it would be much different.

Mike;

As a past manufacturer of both PTO and slide-in TM's . . .

I appreciate your comments.

I think slide-ins will dominate as Vans are forced to meet 27.5 mpg standards in the near future.

How would build a slide-in for your employees,

to achieve the same $27 per hour productivity increase ?

Is it additional accessories,

like electric reels, APO, filters like the Devastator, etc.

Slide-ins can be had now with extremely durable engines (we like the 34 HP Kohler and Nissan water-cooled).

Stainless Heat Exchangers can deliver any amount of heat with the correct engine.

General Pumps with Teflon seals eliminate downtime.

Larry

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Great post Dave. It really is about simplicity of use and that's why a Butler will always be a top contender. When I set up my Pro 1200 I did it my way and my design. My set up and tear down was extremely fast and even faster than my Butler. The problem with so many machines is the lack of ability to optimize space properly. Butler does not have a lot of space in the van but more than makes up for it with ease of use. My Pro 1200 is currently sitting in my garage as I look for a new truck for it. Not a single day that goes by that I don't think about how I'm going to set it up and make it more efficient than last time.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Great post... but confused. I have owned a brand new butler. My tcs is propane as well, cant be to different than the judson. The butler took us more time to set up and run. My tcs.. I turn the key, turn the propane to high turn pump to on... is your judson have live solution reels? If not is that whats causing some of the slowness? The butler has more buttons and knobs to turn! If ur judson is not set up the way u like it, change it. U will get use to the setup and breakdown. Pretend. .u pull up to a house and its already vacuumed and presprayed. From the time u put the van in park and the actual first stroke of the wand... whole setup should be around 4 mins or less.

Samsung galaxy S IV beta tester

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
All trucks have live reels..

I pull up to a house and drag hose set the ebrake, turn off the ac drag hose and push the engage pump and blower button and away I go.

Judson..

I pull up to house set the break. (Turn off the truck) lol turn on the propane tank, go to heater light the pilot then pull hose and set up the filter that sits in front of the truck.

The only added thing to do is deal with the propane and fire up the little engine and the filter that sits in front of the truck.

I'm sure a lot of it is the fact that I have been using the same thing the same way for 7.5 years.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I would think the Butler is going to your faster setup but only by a minute or two. (no propane to turn on and no heater to light)
But then who really cares, that's not going to be where you lose a lot of time. Not carrying your own water would be a true time killer!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Butler takes all of about a second to turn on- hose running no matter the unit is imo going to be the longest part of set up. When I clean my own carpet (solo) I am cleaning within about 90 seconds after pulling in the driveway tops. This would not be the same at a customers home as there is the customer communication side, but any system I would think can be initiated that quickly~ if not there's a problem Houston!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Now Jim you're going to scare Dave! :winky:

I've actually never seen or heard of anyone getting into an accident and getting hurt related to the belly tank. Those tanks are pretty damn heavy duty. On the TES we cart around (3)-#100 pounders, never with a worry about then getting punctured in a wreck. I'd be more worried that the bottles could be a projectile than it create an explosion.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
Make that's pretty slick where would I get one?

Mike p. are u nuts?? No way would I run anywhere with the belly tank open and the pilot light lit.

Mike Draper

You can purchase from Terry's RV center in slc Utah. # is (801) 262-2486. It's a propane fridge reigniter and the part # is DD2019. You'll also need to get a toggle switch somewhere. It's easy to hook up. Call me if you need instructions.

Reactions: tmdry

Mike Draper

There is still a flame, but if it were to blow out it would immediately start sparking again to reignite it.

Name
BradFenstermaker
Draper where does the ingitor box mount on the heater?? Does it require 12V also. Mine clicker is broke so use a grill lighter. Still easy to light but wood be nice if clicker worked.

Anyone know who sells the push button clicker's.

Mike Draper

Brad. You can mount it wherever you want. I made a custom mount for mine. The clicker needs to work because it plugs into the white reigniter box. I'm sure the clicker doesn't cost much to replace.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom