Already broken and I replaced it ......

JohnHawkP

Name
John Paton
Details:
$600 vacate clean job last week.
Taking 2 window winders off and both window winders fell apart as they were faulty and missing rivets.

Although I wasn't to blame for them falling apart on me I was the last to touch them.

Choice:
1. Conflict with the client and real estate agent by doing nothing.
2. Getting a handyman in and paying him $200
3. Replacing them myself for $60 and getting the real estate agent on board as a possible referrer of work and peace of mind for the vendor.

I chose option 3.

What would you do?

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Details:
Taking 2 window winders off and both window winders fell apart as they were faulty and missing rivets.

Although I wasn't to blame for them falling apart on me I was the last to touch them.

Choice:
3. Replacing them myself for $60 and getting the real estate agent on board as a possible referrer of work and peace of mind for the vendor.

I chose option 3.

What would you do?
I wouldn't have time to fix them myself. Would hire it plus wouldn't want to be responsible for more damage (which could rear its ugly head)

Maybe this would be a moment of ask them to open some windows prior to your arrival.... And make them responsible.

Or ask permission to open windows and say we hope there are no issues with your windows....

Reactions: Old Coastie

JohnHawkP

Name
John Paton

Point taken

I was cleaning their windows and I needed to take the winders off in order to get the fly screens off so I could clean the inside of those 2 windows.

An accident waiting to happen.

I did engage a handyman but the a$$hole let me down so I did it myself last Sunday - my only day off.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
What would you do?

for sure do it ourselves ….but it's what we do, so it's just an odd 'n end added to a punch list
If a typical CC'er with few tools or skills beyond starting a TM, a pro should do it.

If in the case of Saiger (who's not a moron and could replace it right himself) it's not the worth the PITA factor 'cause he'll make more dough doing his primary work and paying a qualified sub to do it

if "clearly" broken before we touched it, I'd give em call and ask if they wanted us to fix it.
if "close" to broke and/or old/rickety POS , and one of the monkey paws was too stupid to unlock the window or "help" the window open when they felt cranking resistance ….."we broke it, we bought it"

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Steve Lawrence
We once had a rental unit job for a very good customer where we usually move most furniture. The desk we moved was a piece of junk and fell apart the second we touched it. The owner blamed us because he's kind of a jerk. But a good job source jerk who we value greatly. So we just replaced it for $200--no brainer. Because customers are not that easy to get. Even if they are jerks at times.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
If we break it we fix it. If it was broken before, it's "their's". When pressed we might negotiate but doubtful we would ever pay it all.

When we break it it's all on us. They can call their vendor or we can send someone. I prefer they call theirs and we just reimburse them. This way if there are issues with the repair process, we are out of the complaint loop.

JohnHawkP

Name
John Paton
If we break it we fix it. If it was broken before, it's "their's". When pressed we might negotiate but doubtful we would ever pay it all.

When we break it it's all on us. They can call their vendor or we can send someone. I prefer they call theirs and we just reimburse them. This way if there are issues with the repair process, we are out of the complaint loop.

That is a sensible approach.

And i guess it also depends on the cost of replacement.

If it is a high ticket job and the client assumes you have broken something that is only a few bucks then to shut them down just say Yep I'll take care of it.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Details:

Choice:

I chose option 3.

What would you do?
I would take pics of the parts. Contact client and explain what repairs are necessary. Ask if he wants me to aquire parts and complete repairs for a set price or does he want to hire his own repair guy. If we didn't break it, we don't fix it unless we are paid for it.

JohnHawkP

Name
John Paton
We once had a rental unit job for a very good customer where we usually move most furniture. The desk we moved was a piece of junk and fell apart the second we touched it. The owner blamed us because he's kind of a jerk. But a good job source jerk who we value greatly. So we just replaced it for $200--no brainer. Because customers are not that easy to get. Even if they are jerks at times.

Yeah that is a pain and sometimes you gotta bite the bullet.

Years ago I fell through a ceiling when doing a pest job for a client. The mess was unreal.

My off sider came rushing in from the kitchen and I said to him "Do you think they'll notice?"

Anyway we were covered by Insurance but I didn't want to inconvenience the customer by making a claim as the insurance company can take weeks to get it fixed.

Plus my deductible was $1000 and the contractors bill was $1200

I got one of my contractors I used in WDR Remediation work to do it.

Everything reinstated repaired and repainted within 48 hours.

That customer referred a lot of business my way.

Last edited:

JohnHawkP

Name
John Paton
I would take pics of the parts. Contact client and explain what repairs are necessary. Ask if he wants me to aquire parts and complete repairs for a set price or does he want to hire his own repair guy. If we didn't break it, we don't fix it unless we are paid for it.

I get that. Maybe I am over any conflict with the client and also the cost of repair which was quite low was a factor.

The photo shows the winder was missing rivets at the point of manufacture.

TimePhoto_20180714_114431.jpg

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I get that. Maybe I am over any conflict with the client and also the cost of repair which was quite low was a factor.

The photo shows the winder was missing rivets at the point of manufacture.

View attachment 83430
Quite often when I have a vehicle or machine in for a specific repair, the mechanic will call and explain that because of another worn or defective part, such and such has to be done and this is the cost. As long as it's legitimate, I have no problem with that. I would rather that he fix it properly and not just put it back knowing that something will break in the near future. I am sure your customer appreciates the good service as well.

Reactions: JohnHawkP

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Personally, I wouldn't replace it. It was faulty and the owners are too cheap to replace it with a quality blind. I have a rule when cleaning. If the blinds, ceiling fans, and closet doors don't function easily, I don't mess with them. I've had blinds fall out, closet doors bind up and fall out of the track, and ceilings fans come crashing down on my head when I pulled the string. Faulty workmanship or neglect is not my fault or responsibility. I don't subscribe to the mindset, "I was the last one that touched it, I'm responsible". Thats bull shit. How many times have you cleaned a place after a tenant moves out and discovered that they lightly placed the vertical blinds back on their broken tabs, only to have them all collapse when you slide them open. How about a faulty water spicket that the top was stripped out and popped off when you turned it on?

Reactions: BIG WOOD and FredC

JohnHawkP

Name
John Paton
Quite often when I have a vehicle or machine in for a specific repair, the mechanic will call and explain that because of another worn or defective part, such and such has to be done and this is the cost. As long as it's legitimate, I have no problem with that. I would rather that he fix it properly and not just put it back knowing that something will break in the near future. I am sure your customer appreciates the good service as well.

I agree absolutely.

The photo I posted showed the faulty winder that was installed when the house was built 2 years ago.

I replaced it free of charge with a perfect one.

Last edited:

JohnHawkP

Name
John Paton
Personally, I wouldn't replace it. It was faulty and the owners are too cheap to replace it with a quality blind. I have a rule when cleaning. If the blinds, ceiling fans, and closet doors don't function easily, I don't mess with them. I've had blinds fall out, closet doors bind up and fall out of the track, and ceilings fans come crashing down on my head when I pulled the string. Faulty workmanship or neglect is not my fault or responsibility. I don't subscribe to the mindset, "I was the last one that touched it, I'm responsible". Thats bull shit. How many times have you cleaned a place after a tenant moves out and discovered that they lightly placed the vertical blinds back on their broken tabs, only to have them all collapse when you slide them open. How about a faulty water spicket that the top was stripped out and popped off when you turned it on?

I can see your point.

And there are some clients who are money grubbing a$$holes ripping off tradesmen.

I am getting more selective in who I do work for.

Any red flags that show me they are an a$$hole and the price goes way up.

Mama Fen

Name
Amy Barnes
It all depends on how much you want to keep the customer... and your reputation.

A customer's perception is usually, "whoever touched it last, even if they didn't break it, should've looked at it closely enough to see that it was in bad shape, so they need to replace it." This goes for rugs full of pee, light bulbs, rickety furniture, the works. It isn't fair, but it's the reality in which we live now thanks to instant gratification online.

If the customer is a coupon-loving, one-shot deal who's never going to call you again, then by all means stick to your guns and refuse responsibility - and take the risk of what they're going to say about you.

If it's someone whose business you'd like to retain, the short-term pinch of replacing a chair or rug or lamp is vastly offset by positive reviews, referrals, and the potential for repeat business.

One of my local guys had a tech accused of theft on the jobsite. Not only did boss-man argue with the customer in person, but when the custy posted about it online he argued with them there too, even going so far as to accuse them of "making up drama". It was heartbreaking to see his business plummet after the fact. Those comments can't be taken back once they're out there.

A bored, angry customer can raise an enormous amount of ruckus online, and they know it and will use it as leverage against you.

As an owner, you get the unenviable job of deciding how much is bark versus how much is bite, and what you're willing to risk to be "right".

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
It all depends on how much you want to keep the customer... and your reputation.

A customer's perception is usually, "whoever touched it last, even if they didn't break it, should've looked at it closely enough to see that it was in bad shape, so they need to replace it." This goes for rugs full of pee, light bulbs, rickety furniture, the works. It isn't fair, but it's the reality in which we live now thanks to instant gratification online.

If the customer is a coupon-loving, one-shot deal who's never going to call you again, then by all means stick to your guns and refuse responsibility - and take the risk of what they're going to say about you.

If it's someone whose business you'd like to retain, the short-term pinch of replacing a chair or rug or lamp is vastly offset by positive reviews, referrals, and the potential for repeat business.

One of my local guys had a tech accused of theft on the jobsite. Not only did boss-man argue with the customer in person, but when the custy posted about it online he argued with them there too, even going so far as to accuse them of "making up drama". It was heartbreaking to see his business plummet after the fact. Those comments can't be taken back once they're out there.

A bored, angry customer can raise an enormous amount of ruckus online, and they know it and will use it as leverage against you.

As an owner, you get the unenviable job of deciding how much is bark versus how much is bite, and what you're willing to risk to be "right".
Theft is a different animal. I would have them call police and make an official accusation. If the tech did it, that's grounds for firing on the spot. The employer needs to remain neutral until the case is resolved.

JohnHawkP

Name
John Paton

Yes you are so right about someone's business you want to retain.

When I first started I was a bit of a hot head. I had a run in with a Loss Adjuster. I was in the right and he was out to prove me wrong. We had very heated words and a bit of cussing.

Anyway he cost me a lot of potential business for around 10 years.

If it had happened now. Sure lets work this out. What works for both of us.

Reactions: Mama Fen

Mama Fen

Name
Amy Barnes
Theft is a different animal. I would have them call police and make an official accusation. If the tech did it, that's grounds for firing on the spot. The employer needs to remain neutral until the case is resolved.
Precisely. And that's what this owner should have done in the case I mentioned. If the customer is making a false accusation, willingness to call the police usually ends it right there and they miraculously "find" the "stolen" item.

The same principle applies with damaged property. Calling the cops isn't part of it, unless the customer is threatening violence over the incident, but the same negative press can be involved as would be with theft.

Look at all the negative reviews that talk about carpet cleaners not respecting a customer's property. Most of it is avoidable.

Like I said, every owner needs to make a judgement call as to which is going to cost more in the long run - replacing an item or standing your ground.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom