Alum. Waste tank thickness

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Kevin;

Most tanks on the market are designed for 14" HG.

For 16" HG you need 3/16" in a high-strength aluminum alloy with substantial bracing (not baffling).

Larry Cobb

G

You WILL be sorry if you a construct a waste tank out of aluminum......! Besides rotting out real quick, it will HOLD odors real bad!

SS is the only way to go!

I know!

GRHeacock

Ummm... the aluminum waste tank on my 1986 Ballweber has never leaked. Still OK.

My son has it now. No leaks.

BUT!! it is made of marine grade aluminum.

Gary

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Kevin Brenny is running one of our aluminum tanks that is 12 years old and he is running it @ 16.5" HG.

That seems like a very long life to me.

Larry Cobb

KBRENNY

I can say I have been very happy with the durability of the aluminum tank on my TM. I am not exactly sure on the age of the tank but I am sure it is at least 12 years old . I have only had one problem and it was 7 small holes in the bottom of the tank that had to be welded. The holes were not caused by rot, they were caused because the starter for the engine (mounted on the top of the tank) was not grounded properly and was grounding through the tank. The welder who fixed it was an instructor at a welding Tech school for 15 years and said he had seen this type of pitting before from electrical arcing. Even a very small "pit" caused by an electrical arc can quickly turn into a hole. The welder explained it as the arc starting a type of "chemical" reaction with the aluminum. The arc not only physically removes a small amount of aluminum but allows a chemical reaction starting decay at that spot. I ran a 4 ga dedicated ground from the engine block next to the starter to the frame of the truck and have not had any problems since.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
bobvawter said:
You WILL be sorry if you a construct a waste tank out of aluminum......! Besides rotting out real quick, it will HOLD odors real bad!

SS is the only way to go!

I know!

Bob, some people actually wash their tank out more that once every two years.
My last Alum. tank lasted 15 years and it was 1/8"but I assume it was a special grade alum.

G

Well if that is true...why do the BETTER manufacturers go to all the extra expense of Stainless..if aluminum were jus as good?

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
I didn't say aluminum was jus as good.

But if I can I will go alum. because I am pushing my GVW.

What thickness stainless do you use BOB?

G

The Steam Genie designed waste tank has two horizontal breaks on front and back for stiffness as well as stragically placed internal baffle..

It really is quite a well enginered from the waste tank that sets over the wheel well, to the filter design that is unsurpassed in simplicity!

Kevin:

It ain't all about thickness ya know..it's got ta do wit the way it is "bent" there are structural "breaks" that will make a tank super strong!

I betcha i can fold a piece of writing paper in such a way as it would suspend a pack of playing cards in the air....all by itsef...!

Back
Top Bottom