Am Ex or Discover..

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
HARPER said:
Loren Egland said:
When they can't or won't be there to pay you, just take their cc number. That is the main reason it is worth taking visa and mc. No chasing your money.

Who signs off on the Job at completion ???
What happens if the client ..disputes the charge...???
How do you know what to charge...Prior to arriving...???

ps Unless the are a repeat client... :wink:

I have not had a customer "sign off" at the jobs completion in 40 years.

The is no "dispute the charge". The price per square foot does not change and the square footage is what it is. Do you not take a blank signed check if left for you because you worry about a "dispute"? Don't all customers know the charge up front, even if you just state a sq.ft. price instead of per room?

I always know "what to charge prior to arriving" because I tell them the rate. I know that doesn't always give a dollar amount until I get there to measure. Cell phones come in handy if they need an exact amount. I can always call them for an ok up front. I always give an upfront price or rate. The trouble comes when you clean a carpet and then tell them the charge or rate. Lesson learned after 40 years.

Taking credit cards is just another key on your key chain to open the doors to your customers $. If they appreciate being able to use their credit card, that is just one more advantage that some customers will take into consideration when they choose a carpet cleaner. And as has been mentioned, they may actually do more while you are there or add protection if they can't afford it now but can pay later. Not rocket science.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Plus the customer will feel more secure paying with a credit card. They know that if for some reason they need to get their money back, they just tell the bank. And it's insured if someone wants to charge a few extra hundered bucks on it.
Once you pay cash...that money is gone gone gone. Checks are more secure but who the hell writes checks anymore?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Brian R said:
Checks are more secure but who the hell writes checks anymore?

I have two dozen checks sitting on my DR table from this week's jobs that I will stroll down to the corner CU and deposit. I don't take credit cards.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
IDGAS...if anyone chooses to accept CC's.... :|

BUT...it AmAze'S...me that you BD's...will shop for 3 weeks to save a $1.00 on JuiCe... :!:

Then you give-up 3 to 5%...of your GROSS profits.... :roll:

Ps...If the client only can pay by CC... :!: We offer them a 10% discount for "CASH"...

Then they can drive their ArSe to the closest ATM or Bank.... :wink:

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Art Kelley said:
[quote="Brian R":bxry4ug1] Checks are more secure but who the hell writes checks anymore?

I have two dozen checks sitting on my DR table from this week's jobs that I will stroll down to the corner CU and deposit. I don't take credit cards.[/quote:bxry4ug1]

DITTO.....we even use a Credit Union... :lol:

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Why not charge the client the percentage?

Many companies do that when you make payments over the phone, usually cell phone, electric, verizon landline, cable, local govt tax fees, etc.

I always tell them up front about the percentage, if they insist than I bill it into the job cost, some people will just take the check book out instead, either or.

Never had a problem, and no worries about CC processing percentages...We also use Propay.

Cash or check from established customers.

It is just a personal business preference.

I did cc a few years back, and Am Ex was the worst. The fees were ridiculous.

I probably should start taking V/MC.

I get nervous when I see a brand new home, new cars, house full of new furniture, the customer is young, and asks will you take a cc. I reply no but you can pay cash. If they say can we write a check, then I really get nervous. I will take the check and 99 percent of the time there is no problem. If it is a referral, I don't sweat. With a cc I would not have to worry about the check bouncing.

Currently, we only accept cash and check as well. I have signed up for Square, which is a CC program for my iphone that people can pay with if they do not have cash or check present, but I am still waiting for the hardware to be able to activate this product.

I have only had 2 customers ask if we take CC in 1.5 years, neither of which minded that I didn't. They paid in cash. About 80% of my residential jobs are paid with checks and 100% of commercial jobs have been checks. Thankfully, not 1 check has bounced.

I will offer CC when this Square product is up and running, but will push for cash or checks.

Thanks, Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom