Am I being scammed?

diamond brian

I posted a Bane Mega Port for sale on Craigslist. Here is a copy/paste of the e-mails I've received from a potential buyer. I can't put my finger on it, as I'm new to Craigslist, but something may be wrong here.

1st E-mail:
hello i will like to know if this posted ad is still available???????????????

2nd E-mail:
Thank for the prompt response my secretary will process and mail a
certified draft to cover the cost as am completely satisfied with it.I
will need the details of whom & where to mail the payment
1.Name to be on the check
2.Home address
3.Mobile # preferably
Please note 'United Parcel Service' do not deliver to P.O.Box
addresses and i will not be mailing a draft to one.My mover will be
coming over for the pick up right only after the payment as been
delivered.Kindly delete the posting as am totally committed to buying
from you to save cost,..Here is my relay phone # is (210) 209-8524 am
deaf and will receive your phone messages via email ,
regards

3rd E-mail:
Good day,how was your day?.I just receive the confirmation from my
Bank that the check as been issued out and was mailed by the UPS it will
be delivered to your address a day from now according to the courier,
but to my greatest surprise the draft was made out for $2000 instead
of the actual cost .It was claimed at the Bank that i requested for
such but am very sure i only made a request for the cost of the goods.
i will have love to cancel the draft but once the draft and been issue the
payment can not be reverse so pls

When and once the check is delivered to you place please take it to
your bank and
have it cashed,you will deduct your money plus an extra $100 to offset the
cost of your run around expenses,the rest of the fund should be sent to my
pick up man via western union the same day so that he can come over for the
pick asap.I would have actually love to give you a call immediately i was
informed about this but am a deaf and only uses a hearing-in paired phone
the relay so please send me a email if i can trust you to have the excess sent
to my mover thank you,best Regards

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Typical Craigslist scam. Never agree to any arrangements that seem too complicated (bank checks, money orders, P.O. boxes, Western Union, or "sorry, I'm not in the USA at this time")
Nobody is going to buy it without looking at it first. Look for a more "traditional" inspection/sale arrangement. Good Luck.

Cameron1

Don't you pay JP thou$ands for the type of feedback you are requesting here ?

CALL JOE.......HE WILL HELP YOU FIGURE IT OUT..............OR DID YA SEND THE MONEY ALL READY

Name
Lee Stockwell
Most JP groupies are "colorblind" to scams.

The first tipoff that something wasn't quite right was that he wanted to buy a Bane Megaport....

Thanks,
Lee

diamond brian

Thanks for the replies.

steve said:
Don't you pay JP thou$ands for the type of feedback you are requesting here ?

CALL JOE.......HE WILL HELP YOU FIGURE IT OUT..............OR DID YA SEND THE MONEY ALL READY

I wasn't being facetious, Steve. Seriously, when you compensate a business coach/mentor for his services, isn't it reasonable to expect the to provide marketing feedback? And, since the mentor is being paid, doesn't it stand to reason that his opinion would trump the opinions of those whom you chose not to hire?

Cameron1

Your question or statement is painfully obvious...... The problem is it has no merit.

You are implying that I pay a Marketing Guru thousands of Dollars to advise me on websites and other Marketing ideas, therefore I should direct any and all questions to that person and that person only. Right

Well, the fact is that I employ no Marketing Guru.

Now, you are trying to say your question was not sarcasm, but a legit, honest, innocent question. I guess you have Beach front property in Nebraska too?

Besides, even if I did why wouldn't I want opinions from the talent available on this board? That is why I posed the question and thank you for yours

diamond brian

Hello here is the tracking # 1ZF4282E0143138140...of the check i sent you is should to you tomorrow if there is any delay be sure to call UPS at 800 (742-5877)** . to find out if there is a delivery delay due to incorrect address.You might need to give directions.Once it as as been delivered please do have it cashed at your Bank and deduct the cost of the purchase.The rest of the fund should be sent to my mover today as well so pick up will be scheduled.Here is the shipper's information to send the money to via Western Union

Name: Johmary Tavarez
Address: 1400 NW 17th Ave
Miami, FL 33125

I will need the details of the transfer once you have sent fund . . .
1.The MTCN number that is the 10 digits number on the Western Union receipt
2.Sender's name and address used in sending the money
3.Actual amount sent.

Please pay off the western union charges from the remaining fund after you must have deducted your money and the $100 that is to cover the cost of your run around.Kindly locate a Western Union store close to address from their website www.westernunion.com and select locate agents.I will await your email

LeeCory

But then again maybe not....

There's probably a reason we're not all doctors. :) just kidding

Cameron1

Dang, talk about timing......................check out this e-mail that I just got.

My name is Mr Paul Kenneth with
the Paul Kenneth Company Ltd And i am sending this email to your
business in regards to the order for some Steam Cleaner I need
In stock Just send me an email with the Types you have in stock plus
their prices for me to choose the One Want to Order So that we
could Proceed From there and also These Unit will be picked up at your
location when ever they are ready for pick up so send me an email with
cost plus tax without shipping so that i can know the quantity to
order Advise me the method of of payment you accept .I will be
Looking forward to hear back from you and working with you so that we
can proceed with the Order . Waiting for your Urgent Reply.

Best Regards,
Thank you.
Mr Paul Kenneth

Cameron1

I think I will give him Diamond's e-mail........ as a bigger supplier with more choices.lol

diamond brian

I now have the $2,000 money order in hand. Took it to my bank and they are unable to determine its authenticity.

So, I'm on hold with supposed issuing bank as I type this. Yes, if it turns out to be a scam, I'll forward money order and all correspondence to appropriate agencies. I just want to be absolutely sure before siccing the feds on them.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Tips for Recognizing and Avoiding Fake Check Scams

If someone you don’t know wants to pay you by check but wants you to wire some of the money back, beware! It’s a scam that could cost you thousands of dollars.

·There are many variations of the fake check scam. It could start with someone offering to buy something you advertised, pay you to do work at home, give you an “advance” on a sweepstakes you’ve supposedly won, or pay the first installment on the millions that you’ll receive for agreeing to have money in a foreign country transferred to your bank account for safekeeping. Whatever the pitch, the person may sound quite believable.

·Fake check scammers hunt for victims. They scan newspaper and online advertisements for people listing items for sale, and check postings on online job sites from people seeking employment. They place their own ads with phone numbers or email addresses for people to contact them. And they call or send emails or faxes to people randomly, knowing that some will take the bait.

·They often claim to be in another country. The scammers say it’s too difficult and complicated to send you the money directly from their country, so they’ll arrange for someone in the U.S. to send you a check.

·They tell you to wire money to them after you’ve deposited the check. If you’re selling something, they say they’ll pay you by having someone in the U.S. who owes them money send you a check. It will be for more than the sale price; you deposit the check, keep what you’re owed, and wire the rest to them. If it’s part of a work-at-home scheme, they may claim that you’ll be processing checks from their “clients.” You deposit the checks and then wire them the money minus your “pay.” Or they may send you a check for more than your pay “by mistake” and ask you to wire them the excess. In the sweepstakes and foreign money offer variations of the scam, they tell you to wire them money for taxes, customs, bonding, processing, legal fees, or other expenses that must be paid before you can get the rest of the money.

·The checks are fake but they look real. In fact, they look so real that even bank tellers may be fooled. Some are phony cashiers checks, others look like they’re from legitimate business accounts. The companies whose names appear may be real, but someone has dummied up the checks without their knowledge.

·You don’t have to wait long to use the money, but that doesn’t mean the check is good. Under federal law, banks have to make the funds you deposit available quickly – usually within one to five days, depending on the type of check. But just because you can withdraw the money doesn’t mean the check is good, even if it’s a cashier’s check. It can take weeks for the forgery to be discovered and the check to bounce.

·You are responsible for the checks you deposit. That’s because you’re in the best position to determine the risk – you’re the one dealing directly with the person who is arranging for the check to be sent to you. When a check bounces, the bank deducts the amount that was originally credited to your account. If there isn’t enough to cover it, the bank may be able to take money from other accounts you have at that institution, or sue you to recover the funds. In some cases, law enforcement authorities could bring charges against the victims because it may look like they were involved in the scam and knew the check was counterfeit.

·There is no legitimate reason for someone who is giving you money to ask you to wire money back. If a stranger wants to pay you for something, insist on a cashiers check for the exact amount, preferably from a local bank or a bank that has a branch in your area.

· Don’t deposit it – report it! Report fake check scams to NCL's Fraud Center, at http://www.fraud.org. That information will be transmitted to the appropriate law enforcement agencies.

royalkid

Supportive Member
Name
Gulf Coast Carpet Care
brian, 100%fake. My friend had the same situation...rec'd the money orders...in his name, looked legit! There was a phone number on the money orders...he called...they said that the money orders were in the amount of $1.00 and were cashed months ago....so, these scammers are buying real money orders for $1.00, and then erasing the information somehow, and putting in the fake info...a lot of people who fall for this will cash, send the dude items/money...and then bank will come after YOU for the money...not much cops can due as most addresses are fake to. I've sold some stuff on craigslist (car, washer/dryer) and each time I rec'd at least 2 of those emails....just delete...if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is.

diamond brian

Yeah, the bank doesn't have a record of the #s on the money order.

So, I'll do my civic duty and try to find a law enforcement agency that gives a sh*t.

LeeCory said:
Brian, Are you hopeful this is a valid deal?

Not particularly, Lee.

diamond brian

Hello how are you doing i will like to inform you that the check i
sent you has been delivered here is the proof of delivery

Your Tracking Information ?
Last Scan: 9/1/2009 9:05:00 AM DELIVERED TULSA, OK US

I will await your email with the details of the money transfer asap

Hi, Grant. I spoke with Citibank, and they were unable to verify that the check was
authentic.

So, I gave the check to a friend in local law enforcement (cyber-crimes)to research its
origin and to protect my interests regarding this transaction . He asked me to forward
to him all of our e-mail correspondence as well.

It shouldn't take long at all, and I will contact you as soon as I have his blessing.
Thank you for your patience.

Brian

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom