Am I the only one?

steve_64

im trying to make my money on volume. its a lot of work but i like working hard. it keeps me fit other than my back. i look at working as a workout im getting paid for. the better the workout the more im making. otherwise i lay around on my ass posting on stupid internet sites. :winky:

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
$7,000.00? I might have passed on that one too. :winky:

Actually I've damaged more upholstery than any employees ever has. The are worried when cleaning and will do just enought to get by without taking a risk.

and ....I'm just a little too over confident in my ability and have been known to go too far. No big deal if you qualify the situation, a whole different ball game when you don't. :eekk:

:pig:

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
$7,000.00? I might have passed on that one too. :winky:

Actually I've damaged more upholstery than any employees ever has. The are worried when cleaning and will do just enought to get by without taking a risk.

and ....I'm just a little too over confident in my ability and have been known to go too far. No big deal if you qualify the situation, a whole different ball game when you don't. :eekk:

:pig:
Ya the label said dry clean only. The method i use is safe for all dry cleanable uph. It was very clean to begin with.Just needed a light cleaning.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
$7K it propably wasn't very soiled to begin with.

I'd have vacuumed it thoroughly then sprayed it down with OMS and hand toweled. If it needed more attention I'd have used a sea sponge on the cushion backs and arms using a little dry foam. All hand cleaning, no machine, keeping control of my moisture and it would have come out fine.

Handed her a bill for $500.00-$700.00 depending on how long it took to setup and clean. :headbang:

steve_64

You're right Mike too many risks to charge a cheap price. The cleaning price should reflect the value of the piece you are cleaning.

if that were the case id be charging $20 for a lot of the furniture i clean. i clean a lot of stuff that has little value. that goes for carpeting too. i charge for my time and products. i have turned away some furniture that said dry clean only but ive also cleaned some. i guess it depends on the customer and the situation.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
i have turned away some furniture that said dry clean only but ive also cleaned some. i guess it depends on the customer and the situation.

Most furniture that the label says "Dry clean only" can be wet cleaned very well.
The labels are more about liabilities (not wanting the consumer to do some goofy spotting.)
Tom Hill, suggested in his upholstery cleaning class, only half jokingly, that when the consumer is looking the other way, that you remove that label.

steve_64

Most furniture that the label says "Dry clean only" can be wet cleaned very well.
The labels are more about liabilities (not wanting the consumer to do some goofy spotting.)
Tom Hill, suggested in his upholstery cleaning class, only half jokingly, that when the consumer is looking the other way, that you remove that label.

ive only turned away a couple upholstery jobs due to the dry clean only tag. if someone says something to cause a flag to go up i tend to walk away though. ive been thinking about getting a dry cleaning machine just for those types of jobs and charge a premium.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
What would a "dry Cleaning" machine be?
If it is foam, you don't need a machine. Get a bucket a brush and a sea sponge. Or a foam head if you have an electrical sprayer and you just hate twirling a brush :icon_razz:.

If it is a machine that heats up OMS like the old KleenRite machines. Good luck!
1) Dangerous, if you forget and heat it up to a higher temperature. Kaboom goes the place.
2) That stuff is toxic and absorbed by the skin. Fumes take some time to dissipate.
3) It will take a while to recoup the investment, which is not really necessary.

steve_64

What would a "dry Cleaning" machine be?
If it is foam, you don't need a machine. Get a bucket a brush and a sea sponge. Or a foam head if you have an electrical sprayer and you just hate twirling a brush :icon_razz:.

If it is a machine that heats up OMS like the old KleenRite machines. Good luck!
1) Dangerous, if you forget and heat it up to a higher temperature. Kaboom goes the place.
2) That stuff is toxic and absorbed by the skin. Fumes take some time to dissipate.
3) It will take a while to recoup the investment, which is not really necessary.

ive used the kleenrite type of machine before. youre right its a pain and toxic. i probably wont get one but the thought has crossed my mind more than once.

i havent taken an upholstery class yet, maybe its time.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
For no more than those drycleaning machines do, you're better off spending some serious time vacuuming with a flat & crevice tool then spraying with OMS and hand toweling with terry towel. Use appropriate PPE, rubber gloves, eye protection and ventilate the work space.

We've owned 3-different Kleenrite machines and a US Products Ultimate, all were great machines but when it came to drycleaning the results sucked from them all. Not work the expense for mediocre results.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Mike,

$99 for a sofa is hard to get in my part of the world.

What do you think the average replacment cost is on the sofas your cleaning for $150?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I think most are going to range from $1K-$2K but we've cleaned some more expensive pieces, those I usually hand cleaned those. Dry cleaned and neutral foam where needed. We don't have have the super rich here like DA Burns does.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom