an end of an Era

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
This is probably my 2nd most difficult post I've ever had to make.
It seems the universe is forcing me to dispose of the Vortex sooner then desired.

It started with just a front end brake job... and then the drama, headache and rising costs began. Now after dumping about $7 grand into a whole new brake system I still may have to sell it and walk away. It now needs a rear wheel hub, which I'm having difficulty finding. It can not be safely driven without this part. I may have to have a CNC shop make the part.

long story short---
If I had an appropriate place- I would part it out myself, because these parts are expensive and rare.
If I wasn't about to downsize and semi-retire I would move the Vortex to a new chassis.

My relationship with the V has been similar to a Hot, High maintenance girl friend, I put up with her BS because the sex was awesome! but now-- this crazy bitch has gotta go! :eekk: :lol:

PM me if anyone wants to buy this from a motivated seller. I realize the buyer is taking on a headache for future rewards. the price will go up and my urgency go down if I get this part; until then, It will have to be flat bedded to the buyers location.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
Do you recall that 1 time at band camp when you totally blocked off my street at the Mikey's Fest house party?
my neighbors were so in the happy with your girlfriend....lol
Lol- sorry.
In my the early years with the Vortex I was totally unaware of the how inconsiderately I parked my vortex. I would create traffic jams by double parking the thing just to take care of customers. And thought it was okay to do so. Until I got $1,000 ticket, which could have been up to $5000, and had to spend the day in the classroom for "sympathy training".
Having to park the V legally and old age has decrease my production from 6 appointments a day to 3 or 4.
I leave for thailand on December 4th-- i would like to unload it before then. Once I return from thailand ill be able to take more time before i need to unload it. My dads friend has an area where i can park it longterm. But id rather not trouble him.
@dealtimeman any interest?
Or maybe Busbee will want it.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Get a used rear end from a wrecking yard? Doesn't need to be the same brand as your current chassis.

Reactions: ronbeatty

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
The Vortex is up and running again. :biggrin:
We had a CNC repair rear axle hub. The entire braking system is now new and was repaired at a cost of nearly $9000!:dejection:
Had I known in the beginning it would have cost that much I probably would have salvaged it.

So now I'm going to try to sell the whole thing for $10k. If its not sold by March- I'll part out the vortex part first-- and then I'll either part out the UD or salvage the UD.

The current blower and silencer only has about 1000 hrs on it.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I know you're not stOOpit, John
so could you share why you bought such an over complicated, over large and over expensive to repair monstrosity in the first place?

did you have capacity need to dual wand most places?

..L.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
do you have insurance?
I hear those things have a tendency of parking brake failure
if parked on a hill.......

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
I know you're not stOOpit, John
so could you share why you bought such an over complicated, over large and over expensive to repair monstrosity in the first place?

did you have capacity need to dual wand most places?

..L.T.A.

In 2004 I was stuck in a rut. A rut is a grave with the ends kicked out. I decided I needed to Break away from the pack of mediocrity and do something to make my company stand out and be different from everyone else. To do this I needed a better TM and set-up. I couldn't qualify for a loan on a Butler; however I could Qualify to lease the V. Buying the V was my "Hell Mary Pass" that helped me become a success. I was able to pay the whole thing off in 3 years. We did 2 and 3 wand setups, even use it on 5 story buildings with 700 ft hose runs.-- all to avoid using a portable. I even used it on the 17th floor condo. The V gave me the ability to do high rise offices better and more efficiently then a portable.

Driving it around is like driving a billboard for your company around town. When its cleaning carpet it gets noticed and brings in more business. In order to afford the lease of the V, I stopped paying for advertising. I let the V and my customer service do the advertising for me.

As far as repairs go-- over the life of the machine it has been the most reliable and seldom needed repairs. I think this is due to it layout that allows heat to dissipate. its also super easy to work on.

My sprinters have been more expensive to repair.
The 9K brake job included a lot more then just disk, rotors, pads and shoes.

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
In 2004 I was stuck in a rut. A rut is a grave with the ends kicked out. I decided I needed to Break away from the pack of mediocrity and do something to make my company stand out and be different from everyone else. To do this I needed a better TM and set-up. I couldn't qualify for a loan on a Butler; however I could Qualify to lease the V. Buying the V was my "Hell Mary Pass" that helped me become a success. I was able to pay the whole thing off in 3 years. We did 2 and 3 wand setups, even use it on 5 story buildings with 700 ft hose runs.-- all to avoid using a portable. I even used it on the 17th floor condo. The V gave me the ability to do high rise offices better and more efficiently then a portable.

Driving it around is like driving a billboard for your company around town. When its cleaning carpet it gets noticed and brings in more business. In order to afford the lease of the V, I stopped paying for advertising. I let the V and my customer service do the advertising for me.

As far as repairs go-- over the life of the machine it has been the most reliable and seldom needed repairs. I think this is due to it layout that allows heat to dissipate. its also super easy to work on.

My sprinters have been more expensive to repair.
The 9K brake job included a lot more then just disk, rotors, pads and shoes.

Get yo'sef the shortest Transit 350 you can stand up in and a Prochem Peak and enjoy the low cost of ownership.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
Get yo'sef the shortest Transit 350 you can stand up in and a Prochem Peak and enjoy the low cost of ownership.

Too weak for me.. 200 ft hose is too much for the smaller tms.
my other vans have 5.9 blowers.
owners of entry level TMs are at risk of losing business guys with better machines.

Besides I'm going to be retiring soon-- like 2-3 years max.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Too weak for me.. 200 ft hose is too much for the smaller tms.
my other vans have 5.9 blowers.
owners of entry level TMs are at risk of losing business guys with better machines.

Besides I'm going to be retiring soon-- like 2-3 years max.
That's a very irrational fear. I've run over 350 ft on a 45 blower. Sure it's not as powerful as a 59 but it's on commercial carpet. Still dries under 4 hours. You're not going to find a lot of residential jobs where you need to go over 150 ft. The client doesn't know one TM from another. As long as you have decent heat, vacuum and pressure, you can do a good job. A little agitation goes a long way and some dri-pods can help with drying. An apex is as big as you need to go for a single wand machine. You will be impressed with the heat and suction.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
That's a very irrational fear. I've run over 350 ft on a 45 blower. Sure it's not as powerful as a 59 but it's on commercial carpet. Still dries under 4 hours. You're not going to find a lot of residential jobs where you need to go over 150 ft. The client doesn't know one TM from another. As long as you have decent heat, vacuum and pressure, you can do a good job. A little agitation goes a long way and some dri-pods can help with drying. An apex is as big as you need to go for a single wand machine. You will be impressed with the heat and suction.

I had a "apex" 4 blower TM. I know its limitations. Its not good enough for ME after 200 ft: cleaning past that length will take extra time. My customers say that the V cleaned better.. I know it cleans faster it takes less passes to clean the carpet better then a 4 blower.

A V /AT isn't for everyone. they are a waste of money if doing single wand, & under 200 ft.
I really loved the machine when It saved me from having to use a portable on 5 story commercial buildings.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
Ok, an Everest then..

If I wasn't retiring, I would possible go two different routes:
I'd copy your Everest setup-- if I needed a new setup-- I still have two 5.9 TMs
Or an electric Mini- Ero-van with a porty set-up-- maybe even with my ETM, which we use in our rug plant.
I would entertain this idea because this crazy city is removing curb side parking to make room for bicycle lanes. 😆

Reactions: Mikey P

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
If I wasn't retiring, I would possible go two different routes:
I'd copy your Everest setup-- if I needed a new setup-- I still have two 5.9 TMs
Or an electric Mini- Ero-van with a porty set-up-- maybe even with my ETM, which we use in our rug plant.
I would entertain this idea because this crazy city is removing curb side parking to make room for bicycle lanes. 😆
The problem with the battery powered vans is still range. For the average owner/op it's not practical. I am still waiting for the hydrogen fuel cell vans to appear. It appears that the large oil companies have stifled that technology. The proof of concept is there. They have operating buses, cars, tractor trailers, airport equipment all powered by hydrogen. You could power your van, run and heat your truck mount all on hydrogen.

Reactions: Papa John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom