AND FURTHERMORE

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
to those guys that say flow makesa a difference wit a HX....let me jus remind you of how a stat works........
it STAYS SHUT until the desired temp is met(205) and will hold it there opening and closeing so it will...
HOLD THAT TEMP !

Mike Draper

Why don't you make a video of your coolant hx holding that 205 temp for more than 4minutes. Just record your motor temperature. Do it this winter. The wand cools it down fast, the rv360 well, just forget about it. Your motor temp will be running at 150 within 2min.

Scott Rogers

bob vawter said:
to those guys that say flow makesa a difference wit a HX....let me jus remind you of how a stat works........
it STAYS SHUT until the desired temp is met(205) and will hold it there opening and closeing so it will...
HOLD THAT TEMP !

Wrong! it holds that temp or LESS. Its purpose is to prevent surpassing that temp not hold it. Geeeeeez you dense old goat

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Holy Jumpin' Jeebus ....when you BUY a stat....
what position is it IN.......open or closed........

hint it's CLOSED......and will STAY closed until the 205 is met...
Hey guys...we're talking about a V8 here...NOT a lawn mower engine!

and i GOT yor goat....right here........ :lol:

Scott Rogers

bob vawter said:
Holy Jumpin' Jeebus ....when you BUY a stat....
what position is it IN.......open or closed........

hint it's CLOSED......and will STAY closed untill the 205 is met...
Hey guys...we're talking about a V8 here...NOT a lawn mower engine!

and i GOT yor goat....right here........ :lol:

Yep. and when it opens what happens? It brings on line the radiator, fan and additional capacity to cool it down below the opening temp.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
nope.......caz THAT'S where i plumb my line TO the HX....the hot water is shot from the front of the motor which is the hottest straight to the HX........

Scott Rogers

bob vawter said:
nope.......caz THAT'S where i plumb my line TO the HX....the hot water is shot from the front of the motor which is the hottest straight to the HX........

If your using a 205 therm. then assuming the rest of the coolant system is working as designed the extra coolant capacity, radiator and fan start to cool the whole system. You are also receiving cooling from the cleaning side of the Heat exchanger, the more solution you flow the faster the coolant in the engine side cools.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Scott Rogers said:
[quote="bob vawter":2o365fyz]nope.......caz THAT'S where i plumb my line TO the HX....the hot water is shot from the front of the motor which is the hottest straight to the HX........

If your using a 205 therm. then assuming the rest of the coolant system is working as designed the extra coolant capacity, radiator and fan start to cool the whole system. You are also receiving cooling from the cleaning side of the Heat exchanger, the more solution you flow the faster the coolant in the engine side cools.[/quote:2o365fyz]
well ya but it's FREE! :lol: :lol: :lol:
seriously if you run yor pressure line the SAME WAY as the coolant flow in the HX there is longer contact...thus more exchange.... you'd be surprised how many people get that wrong!

Name
Lee Stockwell
bob vawter said:
if you run yor pressure line the SAME WAY as the coolant flow in the HX there is longer contact...thus more exchange.... you'd be surprised how many people get that wrong!

Seldom do I disagree, but you have that one wrong Bob.

Due to the key law of thermodynamics (heat flows to cold), a counter-flow design extracts the most heat.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Lee Stockwell said:
[quote="bob vawter":36q47ux2] if you run yor pressure line the SAME WAY as the coolant flow in the HX there is longer contact...thus more exchange.... you'd be surprised how many people get that wrong!

Seldom do I disagree, but you have that one wrong Bob.

Due to the key law of thermodynamics (heat flows to cold), a counter-flow design extracts the most heat.[/quote:36q47ux2]
Lee...this is a subject that i've tossed back and forth for years......until someone can explain how there is longer contact(for heat exchange)running the OPPOSITE way......i'm stickin' to my story......havin' tried it numerous times EACH WAY!

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
OHH YA BOB!!!!!
shit
damn i hate it when i MIGHT be wrong!

WAIT

the reverse flow is for COOLING purposes
sooooooooooooooo...
it makes sense the the SAME WAY flow
WOULD run hotter......

put THAT in yor pipe an' smoke it! !gotcha!

Bob Foster

There's a difference between cooling something and heat exchange. One is done passively and the other pulls more actively. Think cooling fins and water jackets.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
pulls more actively. Think cooling fins and water jackets.

PLUS...plumbing coolant from the hottest part of the V8 would get "hotter water" TO the HX best....! so that's the way it HAS ta flow.....

Name
Lee Stockwell
First: the contact time is the same either way.

If the coldest incoming water paired up with the hottest point in the HX there would be an initial transfer of heat still. However as it progressed thru the tubes it would be paired with cooler water and less transfer.

With reverse flow you will grab MORE heat as the cleaning water is progressively paired with increasing temperatures until the hottest point just as it leaves the HX.

Name
Lee Stockwell
And FYI: The hottest point in a Chevy V8 isn't at the coolant exit, it is usually on a coolant passage at the back of the engine. Not as easy to access, thus isn't used much.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Lee....my mechanic jus tol me that yous was FOS......

full...half-full or completly empty i still respect yor knowledge.....

but people that are wrong don kno they're wrong....ya know

Ryan

I see how Lee is right, but would that difference even be enough to notice?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom