And go!

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I'm going to take your "full image" insertion privilege away for abuse.....................
Can I have mine back Please? I didn't know I was abusing it at the time. But now I know. When I posted "full" images from my phone I didn't know it blew them up so big on the PC's. Sorry. I now know better.

FredC

Village Idiot
Can I have mine back Please? I didn't know I was abusing it at the time. But now I know. When I posted full images from my phone I didn't know it blew them up so big on the PC's. Sorry. I now know better.

I may change the way images are handled once xf2.1 is out of beta

FredC

Village Idiot
Whatever that even means.
What it means is that today's phones/cameras generate images with huuuuuge file sizes.

In order to prevent upload issues with these files I don't restrict file sizes in those ranges.

Then, since we have plenty of server power, thumbnails are generated from the images reducing the file/image size.

We use a relatively large thumbnail size instead of the traditional/default tiny thumbnail which provides plenty of size/detail without negatively impacting user experience through long load times.

Users can then click that thumbnail if they want to see billboard size daffy duck in all of its multimegabyte glory.

It doesn't have anything to do with images being blown up on desktop. The large file sizes take way too long to load on slower connections.

The version of forum software (XenForo) is currently 2.1 Beta...when it is out of beta I may make changes to the way things work

but I doubt it...other than to let damon load gifs he didn't know how to make a week ago there is no reason for it

*this is the simplified and slightly technically inaccurate version

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
What it means is that today's phones/cameras generate images with huuuuuge file sizes.

In order to prevent upload issues with these files I don't restrict file sizes in those ranges.

Then, since we have plenty of server power, thumbnails are generated from the images reducing the file/image size.

We use a relatively large thumbnail size instead of the traditional/default tiny thumbnail which provides plenty of size/detail without negatively impacting user experience through long load times.

Users can then click that thumbnail if they want to see billboard size daffy duck in all of its multimegabyte glory.

It doesn't have anything to do with images being blown up on desktop. The large file sizes take way too long to load on slower connections.

The version of forum software (XenForo) is currently 2.1 Beta...when it is out of beta I may make changes to the way things work

but I doubt it...other than to let damon load gifs he didn't know how to make a week ago there is no reason for it

*this is the simplified and slightly technically inaccurate version
I was just ragging you Fred but thanks for the explanation. I think I even understood it. I do notice pics load much faster.

Reactions: FredC

FredC

Village Idiot
I enjoyed the explanation. Almost as much as a Dung 24" 10 jet wand........... See what I did there?
I have now changed the language so the word thumbnail is no longer used and folks don't think their constitutional right to upload obnoxiously large files and have them displayed at full size is being abridged....................

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom