Anemometer / CFM meter

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Here is info about the Extech anemometer from the Interlink website. This is the only one I have personally used. Depending on your plans, it may or may not be suitable for your purposes.

The photo won't copy over.

Item No. AC119

Extech AN100 CFM Thermo-Anemometer

Measures airflow or air velocity, and temperatures to 500°F with infrared thermometer

The Extech AN100 thermo-anemometer offers simultaneous display of ambient temperature and air flow or air velocity. Up to 8 easy-to-set area dimensions can be stored in the internal memory of the Extech AN100 thermo-anemometer.

The Extech AN100 thermo-anemometer has a air velocity range from 0.9 to 67.2 mph (or equivalent) and features a 20-point average function for air flow and a super large LCD backlit display. The low friction 2.83" D ball bearing vane wheel on 3.9 ft cable produces a 3% velocity accuracy. Other features of the Extech AN100 thermo-anemometer includes data hold, min/max readings, and an auto power off. The internal temperature sensor measures ambient temperature from 14 to 140°F.

The Extech AN100 thermo-anemometer ships complete with vane sensor with 3.9ft cable, 9V battery, protective rubber holster, and carrying case.

Applications of the Extech AN100 Thermo-Anemometers

HVAC installation, repair, diagnositics, and optimization
Fume hood testing, installation, and verification
Ventiliation system installation, servicing, and analysis
Environmental wind and temperature testing/analysis
Boilers rooms
Ionizer flow output monitoring
Automobile aerodynamic testing
Plant/facilities maintenance

Joe Bristor

You not only need the meter, but also a funnel and the meter must be calibrated for the funnel you use.
I loan em out cfm tests kits to guys who buy my Max Vac Packages.

There's several Interlinks that have the meter & funnel kits.
If you have one nearby call em.

Name
Eric Valentine
Here is the photo of the meter from the interlink site:
ac119_lg.jpg

Name
Lee Stockwell
Dale Collins loaned his to us to test machines at Summerfest 2002 in St. Louis.

Some company reps couldn't handle the truth. It pays to measure and verify all of our industry's claims as to CFM and other performance characteristics.

If someone wanted to get true "working cfm" they would need to measure the net exhaust of the machine instead of hooking the meter to the working end of the hose.

Thanks,
Lee

Ryan

Lee Stockwell said:
If someone wanted to get true "working cfm" they would need to measure the net exhaust of the machine instead of hooking the meter to the working end of the hose.

I'm not really sure what that means. Can someone explain?

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Lee Stockwell said:

Thanks,
Lee

Lee, that only works if the engine exhaust isn't combined with the blower exhaust...

Name
Lee Stockwell
Exactly Duane. That's why I said "net" exhaust. I was primarily including the vacuum relief in the calculation.

I'd guess the most reliable system would have a mass-airflow sensor right after the blower to capture both cfm and blower exhaust temperature data.

The vac relief could be plumbed back into the exhaust stream at this point.

Thanks,
Lee

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
If you know the engine exhaust CFM, you can compensate for it. For instance, a Kohler 25 moves about 120 CFM @ 3,600 RPM.

L

Lumber Jack

I will check this test today. I have hx with temp set high the engine exhaust will be seperated from blower exhause. I test with wand on carpet and with wand off carpet to see. I know the cfms will be less but how much dont know.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
Lee Stockwell said:
Dale Collins loaned his to us to test machines at Summerfest 2002 in St. Louis.

Some company reps couldn't handle the truth. It pays to measure and verify all of our industry's claims as to CFM and other performance characteristics.

Thanks,
Lee

Thats dangerous to bring up Summerfest 2002 again. :shock: :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom