Any Genisis user out there?

Name
George Valliant
Are you kidding? A Genisus 59 is the bomb! Rock solid machines with a very good reputation. It's at or near the top of the slide in food chain. I don't feel like running the specs at the moment but their good. Their supposed to be very good!!!

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
4 years on mine. I had a warranty issue about 2-3 months in and USA took care of that flying the part out to me.

Since then it's run like a charm. Recently had issues with the water box, and while not totally solved, another system installed along side has eliminated the problem.

I'd seriously look to the new DXT as it's plumbed better (2.5" from memory)

John

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
new models yes, old models no

Just my opinion

Did you buy Linton's? that guy is really taking you for a run for your cash :shock: :lol:

Farenheit251

I've heard 3 gallons per hour fuel from a few users. Prochem 650 and Titan are supposed to be less than half that. Factor that in the cost of ownership. It might still be a good deal.
I run alot so I would figure $200 a month-doesn't matter if it is going to gas or TM paymentit is still $200.
If you are putting it in a van don't underestimate the impact the weight of any of those machines is going to have on your fueel economy.

TimP

A lot of guys with the gas genesis have upgraded ports to 2.5 and reported a significant fuel decrease. But you'd have to get the info from them since I don't have one and I'm not sure what the numbers are.

Greenie

Most of the "big" units rely on EFI to achieve better economy, there is a dark side to that as well, the first time you have to replace a computer guided EFI you will understand, the older machines with Carbs are still running to this day, in fact since this is a Genesis thread, we have quite a few older Gen56 users out there, not to mention the volume of Gen59 models that seem to have a better than average customer report.

I think most companies have their flagship, for prochem it's the 650, blueline the thermalwaveII, hydramaster the titan, powerclean it's the genesis, it's where they put their money.

R

R W

I've got a 2003 Genesis 59, with about 3500 hours.(a lot of those hours were dual wanding) I've had the pumpout changed, under warrantee, in the first year. I've changed out the diverter flap at least once a year (it breaks), I've changed the belts once (but have tightened them a few times). Yes, I was using about 3 GPH, but the 2.5 conversion seems to have taken it down to 2 GPH. I change oil and filter every 50 hours. I've changed out the diverter solinoid once. It's getting a little rough looking after 5 years. Other than that it's still running well.

Greenie

Ya know RW, to be fair that ain't much, I kinda expected a few more repairs, you got a goodie.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I have an '05 with the Nissan engine. Overall I like the machine. It's really too big for a van for numerous reasons (weight, cargo space, heat build up, etc.) I've been dealing with an intermittent shut down issue as of late and haven't figured it out. I've upgraded the diverter system with a diverter from John's and the new solenoid system from Powerclean and that has been very reliable. The belt issue is another story. In the summer I've had to replace the belts almost monthly due to heat, although now I run the machine with the covers off and hope to see that situation go away, but I really shouldn't have to remove the covers. The fuel consumption is definitely in the 2-3 gph range.

R

R W

Hey, Greenie.......yes, I feel fortunate that I haven't had the same issues as other owners. But with the age of my machine, i'm sure I will be running into some new problems sooner or later. I've noticed that I'm slowly losing coolant from the overflow box, and I have to fill it every month or so. That could mean that the HX system has a small leak somewhere. There is no dripping under the machine.

At least I've got my 1995 Powermatic for a backup if need be. I also could rebuild my 405 Performer if I had to.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I lost my first set of belts at 2 years and so had my mechanic do a slight re alignment check.

I just had my mechanic replace that second set about a month or so ago... still in good nick and not half worn, but sheduled maintenance is way easier to deal with than a break down.

I can't remember the nunmber of hours on my machine, we don't do heaps of carpet cleaning so we're probably only adding 500 hours a year???

Greenie, what sort of issues are you aluding to with the computer?

I've had a little bit of fluctuating revs issue, Gary told us how to re set the computer and it seems to have settled down mostly. Something I should be looking out for? Warning signs? Does it suddenly die and therefore I cna schedule replacement or leave it run?

John

G

Hey Doug, I had a little bit of a heat problem as well,(partly how I installed it)but you mlght try reversing the fan to make it a pusher instead of a puller(which I am assuming it is)mine was pushing the heat of everything right at the belts, dries them out in a hurry.

Greenie

Didn't mean to scare ya with the computer stuff, I just like a simple carb, even if it burns more fuel, hard to get away from simplicity, I can replace a new carb for a fraction of the cost of those computers.

Got a 52hp ford, I'm gonna put back into action this winter, get that 59 spinning.

DevilDog

The 52 HP Ford model was terrific, that is the model that I had you idiot. You already said mine had wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy more vac than what you had and I know the heat of my Genesis was probably 60 to 70 degrees hotter than anything you have had.

The Linton version had a lot of problems but was still a good machine...the issue is the people that installed Linton's....but that is for another discussion.

And learn to spell dude.

DevilDog

DevilDog said:
The 52 HP Ford model was terrific, that is the model that I had you idiot. You already said mine had wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy more vac than what you had and I know the heat of my Genesis was probably 60 to 70 degrees hotter than anything you have had.

The Linton version had a lot of problems but was still a good machine...the issue is the people that installed Linton's....but that is for another discussion.

And learn to spell dude.

DevilDog

Oh gosh he is back..

Walt

I drove around with a Nissan NXT for a couple of days. The machine definitely needed to be pimped out - it was screaming for it. Plus the heat wasn't that great. What ever it said, it seemed like less. The biggest issue I can see is size - it's huge.

ZXT is a different animal. Lot's of heat and plenty of suction. Pimp it with 2.5 and a k-valve and you have a monster slide it. Still needs a really big van. Used sprinter would be perfect.

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
talked with a former Power Clean and White Magic distributor in Massachusetts. He said you'd need a shoehorn to fit the Genesis in a van. Said a box truck would be better choice, mainly because of the weight. If I recall he said it came with a 65 or 68 hp engine? He said they had some bugs but the most serious problems have been re-engineered and all worked out.

Damn!! Do you really need 70 horses to clean carpets?

TimP

WJMorgan3 said:
talked with a former Power Clean and White Magic distributor in Massachusetts. He said you'd need a shoehorn to fit the Genesis in a van. Said a box truck would be better choice, mainly because of the weight. If I recall he said it came with a 65 or 68 hp engine? He said they had some bugs but the most serious problems have been re-engineered and all worked out.

Damn!! Do you really need 70 horses to clean carpets?

To dual wand with a heat exchange machine yeah you do!!!!

I want a DXT so bad but I'm not near able to afford it.....2-3 years I have to tell myself 2-3 years.

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
I'm not trying to start a fight Tim, maybe playing devil's advocate a little... so guys with 32hp "lawn mowers", heat exchangers, 45 or 47 blower that are dual wanding, are hacks?

How can the El Diablo with a 24hp Honda, a 45 blower and a kunkle get 2.5 hour dry times? I know it's not a HX system, it's propane or kero. So all that extra horse power is going to the HX to make hot water? Seems like a waste.

Why are cleaners so dead-set against a separate propane/kero water heating systems? Is it that much more convenient to have a HX system over a little giant or similar? Guys are that concerned about the smell of Kerosene in their chick-magnet carpet cleaning vans that they'd rather purchase a machine with 44 extra horses to make hot water and use 3.5 gallons of gas an hour to do it? They must be practically filling their vans up every morning just to do a days worth of cleaning, especially if they are dual wanding? I don't know, I'm just asking..

Walt

WJMorgan3 said:
I'm not trying to start a fight Tim, maybe playing devil's advocate a little... so guys with 32hp "lawn mowers", heat exchangers, 45 or 47 blower that are dual wanding, are hacks?

How can the El Diablo with a 24hp Honda, a 45 blower and a kunkle get 2.5 hour dry times? I know it's not a HX system, it's propane or kero. So all that extra horse power is going to the HX to make hot water? Seems like a waste.

Why are cleaners so dead-set against a separate propane/kero water heating systems? Is it that much more convenient to have a HX system over a little giant or similar? Guys are that concerned about the smell of Kerosene in their chick-magnet carpet cleaning vans that they'd rather purchase a machine with 44 extra horses to make hot water and use 3.5 gallons of gas an hour to do it? They must be practically filling their vans up every morning just to do a days worth of cleaning, especially if they are dual wanding? I don't know, I'm just asking..

The bigger engine is simply for a bigger blower. Some of them get remarkably good fuel economy. With a kunckle valve and 2.5 plumbing most will see a huge improvement in fuel economy.

Dual wanding on my machine for eight hours straight on commercial uses about 12-13 gallons. Pretty reasonable, I think. Single would be about 10. Though, if we are really worried about fuel economy electric would be the way to go.

As far as lawnmower engine go versus industrial engines. You can decide. One is cheaper and easier to replace. The other should last longer. The isuzu in the DXT regularly gets 30k hours before being replaced or rebuilt when used on generators. Even if it only lasts half as long it will probably out live my interest in carpet cleaning.

You can be a hack cleaning with any machine, a 4005 or 4007 isn't a requirement. But you probably working a little harder when dual wanding. 2.5 hour dry times dual wanding is dubious unless you are running a bigger machine or restricting flow or running blowers etc.

The extra horse power doesn't go to the HX - that doesn't make sense unless you mean they cause a restriction on the blower to get the engine hotter hence burning more fuel. Personally I think propane rocks, but it can be kind of a pain and maybe a little dangerous if you get careless with towels or solvents. Have you ever burned the hair off your arm. Whooomp! I have. Yikes!

That all said, most cleaners on this board will never dual wand on a regular basis, so a smaller fuel efficient machine would make the most sense for most. However, most buy a machine for what they hope to do.

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
Thanks for the explanation Walt. I was being a little sarcastic with the lawnmower comment.. a little dig at everyone's favorite nut George from Checkmate and his movie :lol:

You were correct in answering my question about the extra horsepower, though, I didn't ask the question properly you were able to figure out what I meant. I'm not an engineer and didn't realize that turning a 56 blower would require THAT much more horsepower over say, a 47. I've never seen these bigger blowers in person, only pictures and there is no way to gain any real perspective. I've got a tiny 23 HP Powermatic and I think it only has a #4 blower.... and a Bane... so, yeah... I'm pretty out of tough with reality.

Don't HX systems get some of their heat from the engine and not just from the blower? Or is all from blower restriction? Would it stand to reason, that if you pimp your machine by adding 2.5 plumbing and vac hose to remove restrictions, the engine/blower would run cooler and you'll lose some of your heat production or is it negligable and the major benefit is a smoother running engine & blower that uses less gas?

I know this is off the subject and should probably be a different thread but I appreciate your time and the education lesson!! I won't ask any more questions.

R

R W

Remember......you're not running the Genesis at full RPM when single wand cleaning. I'll run about 2100 RPM for single wanding, and even lower if just cleaning UPHOLSTERY (Mike P....note the spelling).

TimP

Dual wanding with a #4 blower isn't like dual wanding with a beast of a machine. You may be able to run 2 wands on a smaller non restricted machine but you probably are running like a portable. Now I have never tried it to tell you. My 47 blower in my CDS is restricted and limited by a clutch.

Like Walt has said the extra power on the big machines is to turn a bigger blower that produces 50-100% more CFM than a #4 blower and at that CFM full lift so it's a lot more suction. A heat exchange machine gets heat from the cooling system, and the exhaust and also the blower in many cases. And a heat exchange machine needs more horespower to create the heat...the more heat you want the bigger the machine needs to be. The DXT genesis does such a great job at pulling heat it doesn't create heat in the truck....it's just that efficient. But yeat it does cost fuel to get the heat and LP would make better sense but you can only go up to like 700 psi with heat on a LP machine at least with the LG. The DXT is capable of 3000 psi with heat with it's stainless heat exchangers. Another downfall of a LP machine is space.

Just like with everything there are positives and negatives with every decision.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom