Any of you guys have second jobs?

Chris A

Name
Chris
This winters gonna be tough for me. Not that business is that bad, I just got too much sh*t, too many bills. What do you guys do for second jobs. I'm looking into a part time janitorial position for a local school district, about 25 hours a week, really good hourly and flexible schedule. Anyone?....

...Btw, anyone wanna buy an 07 Dodge Diesel or a boat?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I'm looking into selling high end women's shoes.

Its been a dream of mine for years.

G

He is wearing them :lol: I knew you were like that when you said you would like to see RW in a set to make him look taller.

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
c_adkins said:
This winters gonna be tough for me. Not that business is that bad, I just got too much sh*t, too many bills. What do you guys do for second jobs. I'm looking into a part time janitorial position for a local school district, about 25 hours a week, really good hourly and flexible schedule. Anyone?....

...Btw, anyone wanna buy an 07 Dodge Diesel or a boat?
I have a Part Time job driving Semi. Gone 1 1/2 per week, allows me to have the rest of the week free and pays $1600 per month so I can make my van payment even if it sits for a few days and still gives me extra money to pay bills.

davep105

Name
Dave Pires
I work a couple days a week for a juvinelle detention center. The kids know I have a cleaning business and always ask me for a job when they get out. I tell them I'm a one man one van operation, for now.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I work for UPS. Pay is no good, 10.50 per hour. Benefits cannot be beat, $10 doctor visits, $5 perscriptions, no money out of the paycheck to pay for them. 20 hours per week.
They also pay $5 per hour into my pre-existing Teamster pension.

davep105

Name
Dave Pires
The pay stinks at my pt job too. I could afford not to work there but it really helps out during the winter months. I like working there a lot, I hope I always keep my foot in the door.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Right on, Thought about expediting with a van, job came available to drive from Akron-Detroit 5 nights a week with a van, I think its been filled though, guys not calling me back.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I don't do it anymore, but when I was building up my business I delivered newspapers. It's not bad money driving around slinging newspapers. Average $25 an hour. Some guys would get 5 or 6 routes and make a pretty good living at it. Some would throw different papers on the same route and do $50 an hour.

Beats flipping patties.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
dave105 said:
I work a couple days a week for a juvinelle detention center. The kids know I have a cleaning business and always ask me for a job when they get out. I tell them I'm a one man one van operation, for now.
I don't think you want to hire a kid straight out of juvey. That's just asking for trouble.

My part time job is cleaning carpets.

davep105

Name
Dave Pires
I don't think I would do that. Some of them aren't bad kids just made some bad decsions. They lack the tools that most of us get when brought up in even semi decent homes.

G

I Pastor a small church here. Ain't no such thing as 'Part time Pastor'

Able 1

Name
Keith
Jim Williams said:
I don't do it anymore, but when I was building up my business I delivered newspapers. It's not bad money driving around slinging newspapers. Average $25 an hour. Some guys would get 5 or 6 routes and make a pretty good living at it. Some would throw different papers on the same route and do $50 an hour.

Beats flipping patties.

Thats not a bad idea.. Slip a flyer for carpet cleaning in the paper and they are paying you to advertize! 8)

R

R W

Kevin P said:
He is wearing them :lol: I knew you were like that when you said you would like to see RW in a set to make him look taller.

I'll have you know that I am 5'6", and I can still look down and see my &^%$% without bending over!

On the other hand, my youngest son is 6'2", and still growing. Hell, my mudder-inlaw is even taller than me.

R

R W

Oh....as for your question. I have, at least, a pension from GM.....but that might be gone shortly. I also have an embroidery and screenprint shop that should do well over the bigger guys. The bigger print shops are employee heavy, and will probably have to lay off workers, and I can pick up their slack.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
For the first few years of my father's business, he worked the following schedule:

Up at 4 AM so that he could start the boiler at the dry cleaning plant. He had the first load of clothes cleaned and pressed before the place opened.

When the staff showed up, he left to clean carpet for the day. When there wasn't enough cleaning, he gave commercial estimates. He didn't get most of them in the early days.

At night he worked as a salesman in men's clothing store.

That was his schedule six days a week. I only saw him on Sundays.

Those days were so difficult for him and my family, but he did what it took for our family to get by, and for his business to survive.

I respect each one of you who have to make similar sacrifices to get through tough times like these.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I was a high school band director for 24 years. I have been with the family business cleaning carpets and restoration since the age of 10, but was recruited to teach (what I thought was going to be just a little while) after student teaching. I walked away from the business I had started and expanded off of part of my dads area. The family kept that going.

I would go out and clean carpets after school everyday and weekends. We were also doing restoration work after hours alot (which most homeowners discover trouble after returning from work).

I am on a 5 year leave of abscence from teaching starting this year. Teaching (especially band directing) was driving me crazy. I was working year around because of marching band and other extra curricular performing groups for very little pay. With my leave of abscence, I can contribute to my retirement account. I will be about 2 years short of early retirement after 5 years. Don't know what I will do. Just waiting and seeing what will happen.

Business has been nuts. This is the first day I have had off in months, so I am going to work on snowmobiles, plow the drive and side walks, and service the van, cc machine and shop.

Mark

Chris A

Name
Chris
I know Greg, I clean a lot of tile and upholstery, and I am one of only a couple in my area that can clean uph and tile well. Business has just dropped off a bit, and now my rockstar lifestyle is being cramped.

WISE

If I were in a position that I needed to supplement income on the side I would:

Deliver pizzas at night--never done it, but Dave Ramsey says that is the way to go.

Sell everything around my house and at my office that I hadn't used in the last two months on Ebay.

Create a budget for the household...allocate a set amount monthly to each category and STICK TO IT.

Not eat out at all. Spend a little extra time each week on grocery shopping for deals. Coupons in the Sunday paper. Don't buy anything unless it is on sale or coupon offer or better yet both. If you have the time, thegrocerygame.com can help with that.
You would be surprised at how much money you spend on food when you look at it closely. Several years back I ate ALOT of rice, beans, potatoes, etc. I cannot eat a meal without some kind of meat or fish...so I would look in the meat department at the bin for stuff that was marked way down cause the expiration date was that day or whatever. CheapSteak, beans and rice I called it. A 50lb bag of rice is CHEAP. That and vegetable soup...you can get alot of meals out of a pot of soup. Grilled cheese and soup was a staple also.

Cancel cable tv. (Except for football season of course! LOL)
No beer; No smokes. Period.

Use any down time to MAKE SALES CALLS!!!
and
analyze my business and figure out two things:

What do I need to do to increase sales? (I would focus on commercial--service them yourself at first then hire a night crew when you get enough accounts to warrant it)
What expenses are not necessary-cut them out immediatley; and what expenses can I reduce by switching vendors or reduce usage? I switched cell phone companies a few years back and annualized it saved $900 even after the early termination crap fee.

Anyway, I am sure we have all struggled from time to time. May require a lifestyle adjustment. It will test your mettle but you will come out stronger.

I am a true believer that if you wake up every morning and when you put your two feet on the floor you walk with a purpose--focus on the task at hand and every purposeful step forward is to that goal of financial freedom (or whatever the goal) and you make deliberate, calculated, purposeful steps until the time you pick your two feet off the floor to get back in bed...there is NOTHING that can stop you. Day after day. But you must believe it, and never waiver in each stride or question your commitment. As my friend Ivan relayed in a story in his personal life... You will see it, when you believe it.

Good luck and hang in there! Figure out where you wanna go and take your first purposeful step!

WISE

Scott

WISE said:
If I were in a position that I needed to supplement income on the side I would:

Deliver pizzas at night--never done it, but Dave Ramsey says that is the way to go.

Sell everything around my house and at my office that I hadn't used in the last two months on Ebay.

Create a budget for the household...allocate a set amount monthly to each category and STICK TO IT.

Not eat out at all. Spend a little extra time each week on grocery shopping for deals. Coupons in the Sunday paper. Don't buy anything unless it is on sale or coupon offer or better yet both. If you have the time, thegrocerygame.com can help with that.
You would be surprised at how much money you spend on food when you look at it closely. Several years back I ate ALOT of rice, beans, potatoes, etc. I cannot eat a meal without some kind of meat or fish...so I would look in the meat department at the bin for stuff that was marked way down cause the expiration date was that day or whatever. CheapSteak, beans and rice I called it. A 50lb bag of rice is CHEAP. That and vegetable soup...you can get alot of meals out of a pot of soup. Grilled cheese and soup was a staple also.

Cancel cable tv. (Except for football season of course! LOL)
No beer; No smokes. Period.

Use any down time to MAKE SALES CALLS!!!
and

What do I need to do to increase sales? (I would focus on commercial--service them yourself at first then hire a night crew when you get enough accounts to warrant it)
What expenses are not necessary-cut them out immediatley; and what expenses can I reduce by switching vendors or reduce usage? I switched cell phone companies a few years back and annualized it saved $900 even after the early termination crap fee.

Anyway, I am sure we have all struggled from time to time. May require a lifestyle adjustment. It will test your mettle but you will come out stronger.

I am a true believer that if you wake up every morning and when you put your two feet on the floor you walk with a purpose--focus on the task at hand and every purposeful step forward is to that goal of financial freedom (or whatever the goal) and you make deliberate, calculated, purposeful steps until the time you pick your two feet off the floor to get back in bed...there is NOTHING that can stop you. Day after day. But you must believe it, and never waiver in each stride or question your commitment. As my friend Ivan relayed in a story in his personal life... You will see it, when you believe it.

Good luck and hang in there! Figure out where you wanna go and take your first purposeful step!

WISE

Mr. Wise that was one of the best posts on any board, ever. This part in particular:

"Use any down time to MAKE SALES CALLS!!!
and

What expenses are not necessary-cut them out immediatley; and what expenses can I reduce by switching vendors or reduce usage? I switched cell phone companies a few years back and annualized it saved $900 even after the early termination crap fee."

Great post, my friend

WISE

One last thought--

This may be bad advice, but it worked for me. Before I would tie up time in a part time job, I would slash expenses, adjust lifestyle, and liquidate/ebay anything I could--use that time to focus on increasing sales. Then I would focus on making sales calls. After that I would focus on increasing sales and making sales calls. See the pattern there? :) I always felt like it would actually cost me money to go tend bar or deliver pizzas or whatever vs. building the business. Or be less profitable than booking another carpet cleaning job right now, today.

Another thing I used to do, and still probably should. Each morning I would put 20 business cards in my wallet. The deal with myself was I could not go home until I handed each one to somebody. You will find that you will be heading home with a few cards left and guilt yourself into to stopping somewhere to make an introduction. Maybe even close a deal. It is all a numbers game, sales calls never bothered me...A "No" was just fine with me, because I knew that was one purposeful step closer to the "Yes".

Best
WISE

WISE

Thanks Scoot--

I must have been typin my follow up when you posted yours...I see we are on the same page with regards to making sales calls. :)

I have had some great mentors and teachers. :) I still got a LONG WAY TO GO on my own business; but still waking up everyday (thank the Lord), puttin my two feet on the floor and walking out the door with a purpose.

WISE

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom