Any quick tips for sliding on a rubber hose?

Chuck Shew

Name
Chuck Shew
I had to cut the old ones off with my cut off wheel. Does any one have a good way to slide these back on? I have tried dish soap but it still is super super hard!
Chuck

8674539447_82cfa04446.jpg

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I don't think that would help enough, it's marine exhaust hose.

I'd go get two picks one straighter and one hooked. Hook the one and slide the other around and work the hose up, then do the other side.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Yikes..that thread subject just begs for the dirty jokes.... :lol:

I would try drilling in holes and pull it with wires going across the holes. After its lubed up well enough.

Name
Steve Lawrence
Clean your hose barbs really well with an abrasive like steel wool. Lubricate. Put the hose in boiling water for a minute. Slide it on.

Reactions: dealtimeman

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
It looks like heating it with a heat gun would soften it enough to make it pliable and it slide right on. Or boil some water in a pan. Take it out there and dip the hose in the hot water for ten seconds and that would work.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Its all the rust...........the barb fitting is supposed to be clean and SMOOTH..........rust is not smooth..it is abrasive and pitted...........clean it up all nice and shiny.......and as long as the hose is the correct size....( an 1/8 of a inch with that type of hose make a huge difference ).......it will slide on there and you will not ...need any lube or any heat...

Name
Nate W.
Fred is right about the KY.. I had to change out my lower radiator hose at 3am.. It was super hard to fit.. I tried spit, water, then I got the KY out of my glove box.. Slipped right in...

I know i know, why did I have KY in my glove box, right? I was 17yrs old at the time... Condoms and lube was part of my survival kit.. lol

Reactions: Bruce Humphrey

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Didn't JiMmY used to recommend Astroglide back when he manufactured electric corn cobs?

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Clean your hose barbs really well with an abrasive like steel wool. Lubricate. Put the hose in boiling water for a minute. Slide it on.

Like Steve says........soak about a minute or 2 in boiling water.....really hot water. Don't dic around after pulling it out.....of the boiling water! Lube it up and slide it on, quickly.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Like Steve says........soak about a minute or 2 in boiling water.....really hot water. Don't dic around after pulling it out.....of the boiling water! Lube it up and slide it on, quickly.
We are still talking about the blower hose....aren't we? :eekk:

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
clean the barbs 1st.....lots of friction....

then lots of lube, to slide her in :clap:

shadygrady

Name
Rob Grady
Start with a new hose barb. To prep your marine wet exhaust, pull the wire braid out with vice-grips about 3 inches and snip it off, lube the inside, as suggested, and slide on. Much more pliable. Use the best hose clamps you can get.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom