Any suggestions for this transition area?

Mikey P

Administrator
Client is not happy with how the travertine and the wood join. The 1/16th gap is filled with some wood putty and some grout happ-hazzardly. The edge of the Travertine is rough and some fill has popped. It sits higher as well.

I know, 1st world problems... but they want it smooth and pretty..

1609723806392.png

1609723723443.png

1609723765919.png

T molding would look goofy ..

Is removing that boarder strip of wood and an equal amount of tile and inserting a 6" wide stone slab be possible, after the fact?

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
Mike if they have extra wood material you could pull that strip. Then use a smoothing stone sold at concrete supply and chamfer the edges of the travertine to get a smooth finish. I’ve used stone polishing discs on clay tile to do this.

then reinstall and do a better grout fill.

or use the schluter trim like mentioned earlier, typically it’s installed under tile but you could install under the wood portion.
Those schluter edges are very nice.

either way just adding the trim won’t do the trick. Those stone edges should’ve been chamfered. You might be able to to it without removing the wood but it would be tedious.

t mold would b retarded imo

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
We had the same issue once, except it wasn't travertine just smooth ceramic tile. We were able to shim the edge of the hardwood(slightly tilting it) to match the tile. Finished with some siliconized grout caulk. My elderly parent walk over it with or without their walkers without noticing it.

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom