Any suppliers headed to Cancun Next week?

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
I am in the wrong side of this business!! First Bill goes to a Prochem meeting in Mexico and now looks like you are going to a Hydramaster meeting!! Remember DON'T DRINK THE WATER!!!

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Won't go to either, ever.

Why go to all that trouble and pay to go and get sold as to why each is better than the other, and why we should sell that brand to our customers rather than the other?

They have reps that can come to my office to tell me that.

When I need a vacation, I choose the time and place and company I keep.

Damn, I am turning into a cranky old man, aren't I?

Chris A

Name
Chris
Jim Pemberton said:
Damn, I am turning into a cranky old man, aren't I?

Yup, all you need is a rocking chair in front of your building so you can yell at the cars passing by!

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
Don't forget the whittling stick. If it were closer like the Vegas meeting I would be there. Cancun has no appeal to me.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
That's right Chris

I'm going to pick out some checkered shorts, black socks, and sandles to complete my attire for my 50th birthday.......

John Olson

Name
John Olson
floorguy said:
Does that tell ya how much these guys make on us???? :x

Geez Doug, sometimes I could swear your a F'n Liberal.

Not like it is any of your F'n Buisness we(prochem Dist.) pay our way to the meeeting which was in Cozumel this year. Prochem paid for 4 nights Hotel. It is cheaper for them to pay for an all inclusive in Mexico then to cater the food for 3 days in the US. Besides that it is nice to go somewhere warm in February.

Now go look in the mirror and tell yourself you're a red blooded american man not a pinko, pussy liberal and go make some f'n money.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Jim Pemberton said:
Won't go to either, ever.

Why go to all that trouble and pay to go and get sold as to why each is better than the other, and why we should sell that brand to our customers rather than the other?

They have reps that can come to my office to tell me that.

When I need a vacation, I choose the time and place and company I keep.

Yeah you are but if we can Love Mikey, Jimmy and Odin and even Pig Boy sometimes, then we can Love you :D

Chris A

Name
Chris
Jim Pemberton said:
That's right Chris

I'm going to pick out some checkered shorts, black socks, and sandles to complete my attire for my 50th birthday.......

My grandfather has some lightly used ones for sale.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Nahh

I'm pretty unlovable to the manufacturers and most distributors.

Seriously, I'm not that bad, but I've gone to distributor meetings since 1977, and I've become more than cynical, if you haven't guessed.

Enjoy your trip. You and Micah both deserve some fun in the sun. Storm clouds just follow me anyway :lol:

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I would go if it was all expenses paid and they had some free whores.

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
I'm glad the ol' bossman is sending me.

First time to Mexico and a week paid to boot!

He's sick of going and I bet if it was my business it would be a different story, but it's pretty much free for me to go so I'm not going to complain.

Too bad though, I was hoping to to meet Chris and Jim in person.

Oh, well I have a couple shots of Mezcal for my homies! :)

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Enjoy yourself Micah

You'll have fun and no doubt pick up some good sales picks.

Do it before you morph into a cynical old man like me!

"Get off of my lawn!"

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Rex Tyus said:
Buy American.....

but support the tourism industry in MEXICO. Fn hippocrits.

Lets see 4 days in the Caribbean or 4 days in Arizona (and not being able to jump) I think i'll take the Caribbean. :D

Serious I understand what your saying but we need to support the American Airline industry too right? :D

And as Doug so eloquantly :? put they need to be fiscally responsible as well as showing it's distributors a "good" time. They have all said if they could put it on in the states for even CLOSE to what it cost for what we all get in the Caribbean they would. I think Florida was double or some ungodly amount like that.

Rex Tyus

Lets see 4 days in the Caribbean or 4 days in Arizona (and not being able to jump) I think i'll take the Caribbean. :D

Serious I understand what your saying but we need to support the American Airline industry too right? :D

And as Doug so eloquantly :? put they need to be fiscally responsible as well as showing it's distributors a "good" time. They have all said if they could put it on in the states for even CLOSE to what it cost for what we all get in the Caribbean they would. I think Florida was double or some ungodly amount like that.[/quote:25j04qmt]

That is exactly the logic Walmart uses in buying offshore goods.....at least they are in "good" company. :roll:

Seriously if WE the people don't pay attention to where we spend our money we will never get out of this mess.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug

This "industry" in general screws the end users period...

take the ISSA or BSCAI, their "executive" whoo ahhs or what ever they were (just like these) are in places that are just ridiculas,,,

period plain simple....

so when i here prochem or hydra master or who ever it is, is having a "glorified" sales meeting, it gets me a little hot...

And before you say you dont understand what it cost to do business...guess what?? I am in business to!!!!

but i look at ALL factors of cost etc...and yes sometimes you have to spend the money for things....but who pays for it??? The customer..

So who is your customer??? who are the MFG customer??? whose getting the bright rosy tip of something in their rear "most" times???

You cant argue thats how most of us feel...why?? because we do...
Lets do a poll to see how many of us BDCC feel like we are getting shafted??? Seriously

Are there a few out there who dont care, or arent smart enough to figure it out...sure....

I will drag Greenie into this cuz hes a perfect example... How many FREE samples/product has he given out???? I can count about 4 for me.... Guess what when i need something in his realm of product...I might not look anywhere else...cuz i have seen what he has and how it works...

We can go round and round on thisin the end its like Cell phone service.....we all have our own opinion

And for the record...yes you have helped me out on a few occasions, when i have been in a pinch out that way....to bad your so far away, I have to find other resources for stuff...so local, most not..( this northern area sux ass bad when it comes to that)

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
You guys think you have it so tough being on the service end.

You wouldn't last five minutes on our side.

First thing I noticed when I started in the supply side of our industry is how low the profit margin is compared to the service side.

I'm sure there are those that feel some of our prices are high enough we're "shafting" them. Our best customers are those that understand that the supplies they purchase from us comes with more than just what that gallon jug holds. It comes with support beyond that. Those who just shop on price and price alone go somewhere else. Those types of customers are usually pretty stagnant in their business's as well. They know it all already or they are so content with their views on things that we are pretty much worthless to them unless they're broken down an need a part asap. Otherwise they'll shop at a place that gives them a couple of dollar break on chemical because it makes them feel better.

I know that some suppliers in this industry are pretty sad and are only out to make a buck. But, I think the suppliers on this board are pretty concerned with the success of their clients. What fun is it to wake up every morning and go and sell something? Pretty freaking boring. But, if you know you get to wake up and help someone become more successful in his/her business and have them buy something they'll be able to use to make money, well, that's worth coming into work for. Especially when they learn something new that makes their job easier.

Otherwise we'd be selling cars

And for the record...yes you have helped me out on a few occasions, when i have been in a pinch out that way....to bad your so far away, I have to find other resources for stuff...so local, most not..( this northern area sux ass bad when it comes to that)

It looks like your just a little over an hour from John. We're in Billings, MT. The next largest town that has a good number of customers is almost 2.5 hours away. I rarely hear complaints about how inconvenient we are because we're so far away. Most just take the problems that spring up head on and deal with it. I have three customers from that same area that travel at least twice a month just to buy products or to have service work done. Two of our largest volume customers are over eight hours away. I guess distance is just a frame of mind. If it wasn't I don't know how we'd survive.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Ok so if you have people that far away, why not do what john does??? and ship it??? dunno maybe you do..

I have had chance to buy straight from mfg, for various things, some chemical, some tools. I have seen invoices at other businesses for various items they get, from how much they pay for gas (c-stores i clean) to plain jane commerical places.... And there are multipule give and takes...CHEMICALS ARE A TAKE....the freakin mark up on chems, wether by you or them is just plain retarded...

How many guys have $100s and i mean 100s of dollars of chems sitting on their shelf because the "SALESMAN" told them its the best and latest and greatest??? Yet did they offer them a gallon?? to try for free..

Now when i made my 1st comments it was a broad comment, I am not trying to pigieon hole anyone here...your right most on this board are straight shooters and do what they can to make it right... Guess what.....they arent here you are.....sooo now you get to here my bitch....fair enough???

Heres a story of why i quit dealing with local companies...

Has to do with floor pads.....was buying them from a local shop.. Then came the wonderful internet, so i did some searching.....Found some roughly 30% cheaper (sorry but thats more then a few bucks) Did some more searching...Total of 60% cheaper then the local guy...SAME PRODUCT.

Went to them and asked about the "matching" prices.. Of course the answer was no...then he told me "thats cheaper then we buy them" Ok then :idea: "Want me to hook you up with this guy?" Figureing i could piggyback my order....flat out NO...

2 things

1.He is lying to me

2.He is stupid

Either point I dont want to deal with this guy...

Sorry but if i can find a 25% or over savings on things...well then wouldnt it be in my best interest to go for that??? all other things being equal?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Every time my thoughts go in that direction, my spiritual advisor Terje Brevik convinces me otherwise.

Seriously, I don't think there could be a parallel for what Bill, Chuck, and Steve provide.

We do what we can in our own way; we feel its complimentary to, rather than competitive with, the efforts of the SFS team.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Doug I have two types of customers. Those that look at us as partners and wish us the same success they hope for themselves and those that only want for themselves.

I am busy weeding out the ones that only want for themselves. They take up more time and energy and bring no money to our bottom line.

You also mentioned Greenie. There is no reason in the world Jeff nor Lisa should be where they are right now. They should be able to walk into any store, car dealership etc and pay cash for anything they want. Why can't they? BDCC's thinking they should get everything for free. Jeff and Lisa have given so much and continue to do so but holy hell stop it already you two! They have a right to make a f'n profit just as YOU DO.

I'm not going to through numbers around but I will tell you we have 5 of us here and our payroll is about 19k a month with bonus and health insurance for everyone. Oh and me and Lora only make 300bucks more a month then our service manager. Sounds like we are getting rich doesn't it :evil:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yep been there done that.

Unless you're big time like the Pemberton's, Bridgepoint or Jon-Don it's a cruel business.

When we distributing, were doing nearly half a million in sales and net profits didn't compare to the same numbers for restoration and cleaning.

One day my father looked at Dan and I and said "I don't get it. You guys are helping all these cleaners build their businesses, why are you not doing the same for our own?".

After that we had to take a serious look at what potential for growth there was for our distribution business. We had some of the best lines but competition was going to limit what we could do. At least with our cleaning business we were only limited by ourselves, not territory restrictions.

We've been out for more than 10-years now, while I miss seeing all the new equipment, I don't miss spending hours on the phone trouble shooting and researching a part, only to have the guy say he could find it $2.00 cheaper from someone in Florida.
:x

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
I personally drive 4 hours to get to Billings, plus it is 2 days for shipping, no sales tax either. I like Express Dist. as I know that I can get great customer service. I don't have to worry about talking with someone that doesn't know me personally. I knew from the first time I walked into Express Dist. in January of 2002, that they had a first class organization! Micah wasn't there at that time, but when they hired him, they hired a good one! Express has always given discounts at their schools for people that attend. Giving me a break on chemicals as they know you spend time and money for the class. I like that! I know of other times where I have gone to a CAD and the discounts were even bigger. I know that JonDon probably does the same thing as well, but I still like the little guys that are in business. I have a Solutions dealer 10 miles away and know that I can get product from him. Problem is though they are higher in price plus he is a competitor.

ps. I am the other Doug

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
Doug - About 85% of our business is mail order. We cover ND,SD,WY,MT, and some of northern Idaho.

Without getting into the whole logistics of it there are things out there you can get at quite a big difference in price.

Heck, I don't expect any of my customers to buy 100% of their supplies through us.

If you break down how much it costs in office labor to set up a new vendor to buy just one thing for one customer, it's honestly not worth it.

Unless that customer is spending a decent amount every month.

It sounds like that supplier could of been a little more tactful with you and maybe of explained things better.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
your right he shoulda have...

ok tell what you think here...

looking at a new machine (autoscrubber)

checking around for various controls, features, etc..

settled on 2 different models, 1 supplier had 1, and the same supplier i talked about had a different 1..

one was mostly automated, power up down of brushes, brushes dont run unless you start it moving. The other well it was manuel release of brush, kinda like the VW wit no power windows of the bunch.. But i had a smaller one of the same brand and new it was good stuff..

Went to him said alright i am geting financing together, whats your best price...xxxx amount of dollars 90 days same as cash...ok fine

The other 1 was $1000 cheaper!!!! So i went with it... and it is still running strong 11 years later...

Went back a couple days later for some other supplies, he asked what was going on with the machine, i told him....needless to say that was the last time i went in there... he was a little upset...

So was i wrong??? i mean we are talking $1000 dollars here....

Would you have been mad at a custy for it??

At this point I had only been in biz 2 yrs, no way i could have come up with xxxx divided by 3 each mth...

i have just had far to many bad experiences with local places who are only trying to push their stuff rather then help me fix my problem...If they fix my problem and have the balls enough to tell me "try this over there" then I am one who will go back to that guy...

Do i spend the amount of $$$ that some places do?? nope I have chosen a different way to run my biz...I like being home more then avg guy, and so do my kids (most days hahah)

are there times I am a PITA to deal with from a suppliers stand point...yup sure sometimes

But I usually always come back for more down the road....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom