any trendy IDIOTS here?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
any of youinz have "distressed" hardwood flooring?

for those that aren't aware, distressed flooring is beautiful new hardwood flooring that's beat with chains, nails, spikes.
one I saw also looked like torches were used to scorch it in spots.

I can't believe people actually pay large dollars to make a BRAND NEW floor look like a beat to chit abused 150 year old barn floor

One of our "hi-end" "trendy" custys has it in her kitchen and dinning rm
Harry's "dirty looking" new carpet made me think of it.

guess I'm just not trendy enough to understand what makes peeps think an abused floor looks good??:roll:

..L.T.A.

TimP

They buy it for the same reason people buy faded out holey jeans. Just get over it.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
TimP said:
They buy it for the same reason people buy faded out holey jeans. Just get over it.

I tend to think that's retarded too.

I was with my sister a couple of weeks ago and she paid $150 for a pair of jeans with holes in them. I told her she could just buy $15 walmart jeans and pay me $100 and I'd put holes in them for her. She wasn't biting though.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
TimP said:
They buy it for the same reason people buy faded out holey jeans. .

I think that's WAY ignorant too.

My favorites are the ones with a permanent "pre-soiled" look like a homeless bum or crack hoe wore them with out being washed for months :roll:

TimP said:
Just get over it.

nothing to "get over" really
I just they're stOOpit :shock:

..L.T.A.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I keep trying to tell Kathy that my face has that "distressed, worn look" that is trendy today.

She just tells me 50 is coming on faster than I would like it to be.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Ive always liked "distressed" things...

I like old furniture, paint chipping off chairs, etc... but I like those things to actually be that way from years of abuse.

My wife and I always go to Salvage yards and turn things like 100 year old doors in to desks or somthing.

R

R W

Speaking of dis-tressed looking.......have you ever met or seen Marty???

I have a custy that did her entire 1st floor in new "distressed" wood, supplied by the Amish. Now, I don't have to worry about scratching her floors when I drag the hose couplers across them.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Larry B said:
Larry

My wife paid $600.00 for a living room table that has saw marks & 1/16" hole punch marks all over it.

dang, Larry.

in that case..you should of told her you were just adding "character" to her new dinning rm table when you accidentally dumped fuel all over it

..L.T.A.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Well think about how many claims people put in for watermarking, pooling, shading on carpet. Yet if you buy an antique wool rug the sales person will tell you that same pooling is what gives the rug its unique characteristics that make the rug so valuable.
At this rate I get more valuable by the day and Jim is just getting worn.

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
meAt said:
Larry B said:
Larry

My wife paid $600.00 for a living room table that has saw marks & 1/16" hole punch marks all over it.

dang, Larry.

in that case..you should of told her you were just adding "character" to her new dinning rm table when you accidentally dumped fuel all over it

..L.T.A.

I will hear about the table for the next year. We did find a place that can fix the damage but they cant pick it up till January. They said they can fix the damaged area to with-in a shade and you wouldn't notice it unless you really looked for it. I can live with that. :lol:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Yes, the pooling and watermarking of old oriental rugs used to be called:

"Sultan's Slippers"

Its amazing what you can get people to believe

You're right Bill. I've been told its a shame my beard on covers part of my face!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We bought some oak flooring at a significant discount from a flooring manufacturer because it was entirely culls and flawed returned flooring. We were putting it in a work room that would be getting pounded, so we didn't care about the flaws. Today their culls are a new line, selling for the same price as new wood.

The aged look has been a "fad" in the Oriental rug biz for years, and it always puzzled me why someone would prefer a torch burned traffic area and chemically faded new rug over a good new rug, until I realized that the buyers want to look like they've had money in the family for generations.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Clearly Meat never sets foot in a high end furniture store but if he did, he'd see "distressed" Leather furniture on display.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
harryhides said:
Clearly Meat never sets foot in a high end furniture store

No need. none of it matches the simulated wood press board paneling in my 1975 14' X 70' HollyPark.
The contemporary design and function of Sauder's fine furnishings are only rivaled by my Chinese made black lacquered Art Deco head board and chester drawers I found in a sec 8 empty

"distressed leather"?? makes me think of Danny's belt...

..L.T.A.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
When I delivered furniture we sold a ton of Broyhill stuff that was severely distressed. I thought the stuff was the ugliest furniture out there but this stuff was EXPENSIVE! Thomasville has a line like that too.

TimP

Selling hard wood floors I know that the most expensive is hand scraped wood. I don't know if tha'ts considered distressed. But it looks more like old timers made it. It's not perfectly flat. I've got some in my home. It actually cost more for my 11.5x11.5 dining room than the 100 yards of carpet we bought for our house.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
TimP said:
Selling hard wood floors I know that the most expensive is hand scraped wood. I don't know if tha'ts considered distressed. But it looks more like old timers made it. It's not perfectly flat. I've got some in my home. It actually cost more for my 11.5x11.5 dining room than the 100 yards of carpet we bought for our house.

Yes Tim.. hand scraped is the same thing as distressed. It all gets pounded on by a bunch of "artisan's" who chew it up before it gets finished.

But Meat stop raising hell about it publicy because alot of these floors we have that are distressed or hand scraped are mostly 4 or 5 inch boards. Then install quick, No worry about in perfections, and if you drop a hammer and leave a dent.. no worries because you can't find it.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Ok smart guy... a rectangle is not a square but a square can be a rectangle... hand scraped fall under the general category of distressed hardwoods but they get their own category because the distressing of the wood is done by hand. If the distressing is done by a machine during the process, then the its simply distressed and not hand scraped.. So.. while hand scraped can be considered a distressed wood, distressed wood can not always be considered handscraped. Sheesh.. picky picky... especielly when I'm sitting fifteen feet from 8 different brands of hardwood floors.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I kind of surmised Tim had beat up "new" flooring by his first post :mrgreen:

for the life of me though, I sure can't figure out why someone would actually OVER pay for an ABUSED floor :roll:

proves PT Barnum was right....

...L.T.A.

TimP

I paid 30% under wholesale so I didn't over pay.....now if I bought the crap retail man oh man. We wouldn't of bought it if we couldn't get it for cheap. And I was comparing the price to the discounted wholesale price on the carpet. The mills and distributors lower the wholesale price for personal use for retail shops.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Tim, "30% under wholesale" equates to how much or sf?

you could of bought some cheap Bruce HW at Home depot for $2.99 sf and gouge, chip, scrape, pound and generally BEAT THE HELL OUT OF IT yourself for free :mrgreen:

..L.T.A.

TimP

But it wouldn't be polished on the surface, nor have aluminum oxide on it. It would be rough and ugly, also there wouldn't be enough wood to put the texture into it since you only get an 1/8th inch layer on pre-finished wood.

The discount was like 2-3 bucks a ft. or about 2-300 bucks I can't remember the exact ammount since it's been 4 years.

We have sold like 1,000-12000 sq ft to a relative and charged them 30 grand for it......but they also have a 6 grand shutter on the front of their home and spent like 20 grand on their landscaping that equates to about 50x60 area of yard. But keep in mind they supposedly have over 15 million in the bank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom