anybody have experience degreasing or cleaning auto garages?

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I been thinking about marketing to mechanics for degreasing and cleaning auto garage floors. If anyone has did this what pressure,tools,chems, etc and how much you charge? I have a hotsy diesal heater and just bought a hard surface tool for tm so I think I can pull this off.

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Re: anybody have experience degreasing or cleaning auto gara

Are you planning on sucking the grease & Degreaser up in your machine?

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret

Larry B said:
Are you planning on sucking the grease & Degreaser up in your machine?
YES, I dont see how that could be any worse on my machine than the punishment it endures at the super china buffet. Just oily grease water .

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell

JR

There is a reason most shop floors are pressure washed and pushed into drains. The harsh degreasers used to clean automotive grade grease and oils is not a good thing to be sucking into your waste tank or worse yet getting sucked into your system.

The sludge that comes up from cleaning shop floors will not just drain out of your tank and if you get caught dumping that stuff into a carwash, yard or just about any other place you will need your checkbook ready.

We done some shops a couple years back with pressur washers and the drains in the floor had to be netted to catch the sludge and placed into a recycling can. At one point we purchased a auto-floorscrubber and after a couple times of using it on the degreaser it started rusting on the bottom and could never be cleaned good enough to use on VCT floors again.

If your really wanting to do this I would go the pressure washer route because the damage to your machine from the sludge and degreaser & the fines you will get if caught dumping the sludge is not worth it.

As far as pricing it you wont get much. Most shops wont pay you enough for your time to get it cleaned, most just dont clean them and the ones that do have their min wage people do it.

Becker

Name
Becker

YES, I dont see how that could be any worse on my machine than the punishment it endures at the super china buffet. Just oily grease water .

They advertise no MSGs never thought to ask about automotive grease and oil..

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes

I don’t know if you would come out that well on one time service, but I think you would do alright if you had it set up on a periodic service and possibly combine with janitorial service for the bathrooms and front office.

I am amazed how most carpet cleaners turn up their nose at janitorial work. Janitorial has the same margins, less investment, steady cash flow, they are much easier to staff, represent a much bigger market and comes with contracts that guarantees the value of your business if you want to sell it.

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell

Ace
It has nothing to do with turning up a nose at janitorial. Thats all I have done for years until I moved last year. Janitorial is great year around money and works even better if you have somebody doing it for you. I was just pointing out degreasing floors in auto shops is not a high paying thing and if he gets caught dumping the grease/oil sludge out of his truck the fines will be through the roof.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy

Go to Home Chepo buy Zeps Purple Degreaser....scrub with a 175 with a nylon grit brush...rinse with turbo at high PSI..wear a fullface respirator as well..collect $$$$ :mrgreen:

Jon just focus on cleaning CLEAN carpets for a good price.

I think you will do better.

Most mechanic shops could care less whether the floor is clean or not. It will get dirty in a few days anyways and the pay would not be that great.

Also you will work hard to get mediocre results.

Same thing applies to cleaning nasty greasy restaurant kitchen floors.

It sounds like a good idea until you start and realize the grout is shot and needs replacing.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret

danielc said:
Jon just focus on cleaning CLEAN carpets for a good price.

I think you will do better.

Most mechanic shops could care less whether the floor is clean or not. It will get dirty in a few days anyways and the pay would not be that great.

Also you will work hard to get mediocre results.

Same thing applies to cleaning nasty greasy restaurant kitchen floors.

It sounds like a good idea until you start and realize the grout is shot and needs replacing.
ya I agree totaly.I am however trying to have a second van on the road a couple days per week next year so I am trying to mildly think outside the box. I think allthough it may not pay the most , every grease monkey around here told me they wouldnt know who to call so maybe word would get around and become a niche job

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy

juniorc82 said:
Home depo gets none of my money
that's fine give it to Interlink then or some other shit carpet cleaning outlet...u asked for a strong degreaser and there was the answer...don't ask questions about something u obviously know nothing about then fire back with a high and mighty response like that

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon

Go to a pressure/power washing supply store. They will have much better cleaners for that than the run of the mill carpet cleaning supplier.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

Rent an auto scrubber it will be much faster and it it tears up they unit as Larry mentioned.....it's not yours. :mrgreen:

After you got them all cleaned up, then it maybe it can be maintained with a turbo and your tm afterwards.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret

Bee Busy said:
juniorc82 said:
Home depo gets none of my money
that's fine give it to Interlink then or some other shit carpet cleaning outlet...u asked for a strong degreaser and there was the answer...don't ask questions about something u obviously know nothing about then fire back with a high and mighty response like that
home depo owns chem lie. chem lie is my biggest competitor around here

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom