Anyone build and sell their biz every few years?

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
So what you plan on doing is building your business, and then selling the customer database and equipment. And then starting over again, expecting to be able to market to those very same people again with the new company ? I guess there is a sucker born every minute but there'd be no way in hell I'd let you start a business again in that same area. I would expect some sort of legal agreement to that, and I'm sure a buyer would as well.

Chris A

Name
Chris
70 K for a piece o shit van, piece o shit Truck mount, and enough biz to maybe give you 3 months work a year? No thanks!

Name
George Valliant
Chris Adkins said:
70 K for a piece o shit van, piece o shit Truck mount, and enough biz to maybe give you 3 months work a year? No thanks!

I agree! That rig ain't worth even 15k.

I can't imagine building and selling a business that i enjoy. But, I've listened to people who claim to be smarter me say that selling an established business and starting another is a way to make a lot of money.

ARSuarez

I am steadily building my commercial and residential maintenance accounts. I am trying very hard to get it to the point where I can sell my business for more than dollar to dollar. (Unless my brain dead son comes in with me.)

Carpet Cleaning Fool said:
[quote="Chris Adkins":h9jalq5o]70 K for a piece o shit van, piece o shit Truck mount, and enough biz to maybe give you 3 months work a year? No thanks!

I agree! That rig ain't worth even 15k.

I can't imagine building and selling a business that i enjoy. But, I've listened to people who claim to be smarter me say that selling an established business and starting another is a way to make a lot of money.[/quote:h9jalq5o]

It is. But when you sell a business, you don't sell it for 70k. You build a business which is making multiple millions a year and sell it for $500k+. You might as well just stay in business if all you're going to charge for the sale and transfer is $70k.

There was a medical practitioner who was quite successful at building private practice. So, he went about building them into huge profit margins, then sold them, and did this on and on for a while. Can't remember his name, but that's what you should be looking to sell a business for: once you're consistently making enormous profits of the name of the company and its list of customers.

Best,

Angel

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
The truck doesn't look like a POS, nor does the tm.
Probably lots of years left in that unit. 70K though? Can get brand new for that.

200 clients? Depends on what kind of clients they are. What was the job ave? frequency?
I know a cleaner that sold out to his partner, took less than 100 clients with him as part of the deal, built it up to where he was cleaning 3-4days/week and NETTING 100K.

randy

Name
Randy
Hard to value the business without seeing the books. He metioned 15 commercial accounts, they could be chinesse carry outs or large assited living facilities and /or huge multi-location accounts. Who knows what it's worth, BUT his website valuation of $10,000 is pretty hilarious unless it is generating a serious amount of leads, which I doubt since he has 200 customers after three years. Truck might be fine but it needs a few hubcaps. The truck mount is an absolute piece of shit manufactorered by Ace truck mounts for Chemspec until Chemspec dumped them due to quality issues. Any business has to be valued by the income it generates, contracts. The fixed assets in this case might be worth $12,000 if he is lucky. Sounds like he could use a few business classes at a local community college.

The build it and sell out every 3-4 years business model isn't exactly a great fit for most service businesses. I have done it in the fast food industry but it worked much better there than the one carpet cleaning business I have sold. Services businesses are great because if run properly they throw off a lot of cash after a few years. They often don't have the value at sale that other industries do. For instants build a security guard business to $500,000 in gross sales and you can sell it for over 1 million. A Subway sandwich shop netting $70,000 a year will sell for $210,000- $325,000 depending on the area of the country. You will not get that kind of return selling a carpet cleaning business. So build your carpet business to a point where it is throwing off $10,000 a month net and invest in a second business that doesn't require you to be there 24/7. Some of you guys have learned a lot in a tough business and are way more capable then you give yourselves credit for. Don't be afraid to diversify outside of this industry. Right now you can buy a Quiznos that cost $250,000-$360,000 to open for around $50,000-$60,000. Corporate has taken over a bunch of them that were losing money. Apply the same marketing skills you have learned in this industry and rebuild it into a successful second business.

Owner operators need to think about the day when they are unable physically to push a wand. Yeah we all still think we are 25 years old BUT my artritis tells me different some days. I know a guy that is 67 years old and still cleaning everyday because he has to. Don't let that be your destiny, skip the boat , $60,000 car and buy a second less physically challenging income stream.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
his website has him doing a lot of pressure washing, he does say 485F. Just how much PSI is needed to run preswash tools as shown in his vid

His uph page is funny, first pic showing a nice beige sofa, but the next pic is a green sofa of the same style out on the street for pickup. Guess he's trying to say, don't throw it out.

Jimbo

I'd Pass...Good Post, Randy...lots of stuff to think about.

I wonder how the extreme guy got that little Nissan up to 100 horsepower??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom