Anyone do this.

Name
I'm Rick James
Sub out work/services you dont offer like air duct cleaning, rug cleaning, window cleaning, drape and blind cleaning and so on? I have alot of experience in said services but dont want to strech myself to thin as an O/O and dont want the overhead.

I havent dealt with alot of sub-contracting, but the companies I would use is top quality. Whats the usual finders fee should I be looking at?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
to me, subing and referrals are two completely different things
Sounds like you're "referring" them, not use a sub contractor

we sub jobs we're not qualified or licensed to do or when buried in work and can't a job completed in a timely manner.
When using subs, "I" pay them, then add my 10, 15, 20+ % to the invoice and submit that for payment.

if I "refer" a contractor, I don't "expect" anything in return.
Though I don't see a thing wrong with referral agreement$ between contractors if it's negotiated up front.
I "guess" 10% would be the norm

.L.T.A.

Name
I'm Rick James
With the rugs, drapes, blinds I would sub out to a local company but with the airducts, house cleaning it would be considered referrals. I want to partner with certain business to offer my services and I would do the same. I think a 10-15% finders fee is fair. I see alot of upside to partnering with other houseservice businesses.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I do all the time...I have on the bottom of my work order different business resources.......like window cleaning....leather cleaning..pest control...etc.......and all the people that I have there names on my work order..they have my name on theirs.......we don't expect anything from each other if one of use gets a job off of another work order...just another way of getting our names out there........been working out great for a long time....

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
For rugs atleast it really depends on the company and how much they are cleaning for. Its not un common to get up to 40% discount to make on the rugs. I know a few plants that offer 50% discount to cleaners with a stipulation that the carpet cleaner is in charge of dealing with the customer exclusively. The cc is supposed to give them the price, find out about repairs and if there are any problems.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
A lot of beginner (or desperate) designers recommend the silicone protector hacks because they get a 50% kickback from them. When the client finds out they paid twice as much as they should have to get a substandard service they get pretty angry. The designer loses trust and word gets around. There's a lot of churn at the bottom of the design biz, mostly because beginners don't understand this.

Being a general contractor that is takes responsibility for handling the sub-contracted work is one thing, referring someone to generate lead fees is another. Be careful with your reputation; once it's dirty it takes a long time to clean up.

Name
I'm Rick James
The Great Oz said:
A lot of beginner (or desperate) designers recommend the silicone protector hacks because they get a 50% kickback from them. When the client finds out they paid twice as much as they should have to get a substandard service they get pretty angry. The designer loses trust and word gets around. There's a lot of churn at the bottom of the design biz, mostly because beginners don't understand this.

Being a general contractor that is takes responsibility for handling the sub-contracted work is one thing, referring someone to generate lead fees is another. Be careful with your reputation; once it's dirty it takes a long time to clean up.

Good advice. The only thing I am going to fully sub out is the air ducts. The area rugs, drapes, blinds ect is something that I am going to handle.

Brian do you work out deals for sub work with rugs?

Bob Foster

The Great Oz said:

Bryan wouldn't put this up for himself so I will. I suggest people here pay special attention to his advice. I personally toured his facility and say it and his people couldn't possibly be more professional. They are a CLASS ACT, that all other operations in the NW respect and look up to.

k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1y1vC5LbVsk]

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Brian do you work out deals for sub work with rugs?

Two ways:

One, the carpet cleaner sets up an account and brings the rug in to one of our stores. Rates are discounted to the trade, and cleaners will typically charge more than our published rates to their customer. Our guys will explain issues to the cleaner (our customer) and expect them to pass that information along to their customer.

Two, the carpet cleaner calls our office and gives us their customer contact information so we can set up pick up and delivery times. We handle the entire job and send the cleaner an invoice. The cleaner then invoices their customer. We never discuss pricing with someone that isn't the billing party, and we keep that customer out of our marketing database.

Many of our friends in the biz just tell their customers to call us for rug cleaning, but it would be good to call us as well so we can refrain from marketing competing services to that customer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom