anyone else had this happen???

steve_64

last pic looks like the finish was actually pulled off

View attachment 100120
Looks like the finish bubbled to me.

Probably going to need a light sanding either way and new finish.

The area that looks wet still probably the same repair but put a fan on it after sanding to get it dry.

I'd say the Prespray migrated under the tape and ate the finish on the bubbled spot and possibly the other spot too. The finish was probably already wore out allowing the Prespray into the wood. Could have got under the finish from the edge also from getting the carpet too wet.

After looking closer I see the finish on the water stained spot too.

Last edited:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
the customer had me clean the carpet prior to moving in so maybe the sellers had the floor refinished. That is something I will need to find out.
No real floor finish will peel like that.

Any scrub and run wood cleaners here that can tell us what product might have been used? Maybe the right solvent applied with a white pad will take off the rough stuff so more of the same garbage finish can be applied.

It might be an opportunity to make friends with a hardwood guy that likes small repairs. He's probably seen this before.

scotty747

The tape sealed in the prespray. Light sand, light coat, buff to blend. After that its a refinish to get everything to match.

Reactions: steve_64

Brian H

Name
Brian H
My first inclination would be to test an area to see if in fact what you are seeing is tape residue. When confronted with a problem like that, I start with the easiest/simplest thing first and proceed from there.

Be careful doing any major repairs yourself unless you are 100% sure of the results and/or the customer's expectations. If it needs a major repair, try to work it so that you pay the customer and the customer hires the repair contractor. That way if there are further issues, it's between the customer and their contractor and not with the customer and YOUR contractor.

Mikey P

Administrator
That's first getting in the hard surface I took the IICRC course and the teacher was a big believer in blue taping and massing off the entire house as a way to earn top dollar

I f***** up more finishes with that blue tape than a little bit of overspray ever could

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
Maybe a little pledge would help.
Do Not Use Pledge! It will make the floor slick. Despite what the seller said something has been done to that floor. The way that the finish is lifting perhaps a cleaning person used something like Mop and Glo. No special service was ever done thus the sellers comments about it never being refinished. A finish like that would not bond to the finish that is on the wood.

Last edited:

steve_64

Ok, he sands it down, but the finish still needs to be reapplied. Right?
Apply a little polyurethane and blend it in.might take a couple coats if it's removed to the wood. A paint brush or a clean cloth would probably work.

I've seen polyurethane bubble like that before. It's like paint on a metal surface that has had a high ph cleaner or oven cleaner applied to it. We've done few of those too.

And yes the pledge idea was a bad idea.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom