anyone ever did rafter cleaning?

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
Just was called to bid a job cleaning cieling pipes and rafters. Went down there was about 80k sq ft 40 - 50 feet in the air. I decided this job is too far out of my ability but it will sure be a payday for someone. I might add I am seriously affraid of hights thathurts probley have to be done on scissor lifts

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Alfalfa said:
You're right scissor lifts and air wash with compressor and hepa vacuum. Hand cleaning usually gets out hand and out of budget.

Wouldn't that be a perfect job setting for dry ice blasting? And would you still need a HEPA vac when DI blasting?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
rwcarpet said:
Alfalfa said:
You're right scissor lifts and air wash with compressor and hepa vacuum. Hand cleaning usually gets out hand and out of budget.

Wouldn't that be a perfect job setting for dry ice blasting? And would you still need a HEPA vac when DI blasting?

He is talking about an occupied warehouse.
I have done this type of work before with scissor lift and shop vac. It is painfully slow, dirty and labor intensive. Personally, I would bid the job high or on a flat hourly rate.

I don’t know much about dry ice blasting but am guessing it would make a hell of a mess. WTF is an air wash???

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yes Ice blasting would be ideal for this, the dry ice sublimates and you don’t have the cleanup you would with other blasting media. You’d still need to clean up the debris it knocked off but it would be much less of a mess.

However the cost usually makes it prohibitive for most budgets, unless it’s an insurance loss.

If they can afford it you can usually rent an ice blaster and air compressor for this type work. The rental yard also sells you coolers of dry ice for the project.

We bid a lot of these but actually clean only a few. Mostly due to what they desire to have cleaned is more expensive than they thought it would be.

Air washing, is an air duct cleaning/iaq term. Using high pressure and high volume air you can remove loose and settled debris. Combined with HEPA vacuuming it can be a very effective method.

Many times the debris will come off that easy but we've bid some that had pet food dust caked and hardened that needed physical agitation.

Ice blasting would have been ideal but once again it was much more than they planned to spend.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Alfalfa said:
Yes Ice blasting would be ideal for this, the dry ice sublimates and you don’t have the cleanup you would with other blasting media. You’d still need to clean up the debris it knocked off but it would be much less of a mess.

However the cost usually makes it prohibitive for most budgets, unless it’s an insurance loss.

If they can afford it you can usually rent an ice blaster and air compressor for this type work. The rental yard also sells you coolers of dry ice for the project.

We bid a lot of these but actually clean only a few. Mostly due to what they desire to have cleaned is more expensive than they thought it would be.

Air washing, is an air duct cleaning/iaq term. Using high pressure and high volume air you can remove loose and settled debris. Combined with HEPA vacuuming it can be a very effective method.

Many times the debris will come off that easy but we've bid some that had pet food dust caked and hardened that needed physical agitation.

Ice blasting would have been ideal but once again it was much more than they planned to spend.

When I worked for GM, they would use ice blasting to clean all the fans in the plant. This was done during the annual 2 week down time they alloted around the 4th of July. I guess it can be used on electrical equipment. It really cleaned up the fan blades and they didn't have to take them apart for cleaning. They also used it on the 1000's of robots they have. It was a subcontractors equipment, with the janitorial staff of the plant (maintainence) operating the equipment.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Dry ice blasting is amazing.

The only downside is, to get the dry ice at a decent cost you'd want to have a whole container shipped, unless you have someone local.

Jimbo

Mr Les Jones @ Judson makes specialized equipment for this kind of work, Jon...you should give him a call.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom