Anyone hear of getting grants?

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
Had a call from American Grant Writers Services saying that they can get me a grant to buy a building. I am thinking scam as they want $2500. They do say that they don't get paid until I get the grant. They claim that the gov't is giving out these grants. Anyone hear of these guys or even gotten a grant before???

rhyde

Name
rhyde
I bet you they won't take the money if they cant get the loan all you need to do is give them your drivers license & ss# bank account info, mothers maiden name, copy of birth certificate.

let us know how it works out

W

War Monger

I once wrote a grant and got funded for $10,000. It was a Federal grant.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
DougsGrant.jpg

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
guy calls today and asked him where the information was that he was going to email me so I could check it out before I said anything. He says that the 2 email addresses I gave him didn't go through! I told him it sounds like a scam to me and hung up on him. Sounded pretty convincing though.

W

War Monger

It's a scam....there are plenty of legitimate grants. I know....i wrote one....but here is the thing....if it is real.....number one...the grant writer had better know what they are doing....I got lucky...first and only time I have ever written a grant...also it was being funded through local channels.....this organization had already been Federally funded and was in charge of distributing those funds.

Secondly....there are so many hoops to jump through and so many strings attached to a real grant, it had better be a big one, because you are going to need an entire staff or a Heck of a lot of time to make sure you meet all the criteria once you are funded. It wasn't worth it to me....I took the money and I jumped through all the hoops.....I got an education in the process.

Out of about 50 local non-profit organizations that got funded, I was one of only two executive directors who was Caucasion. There were only two Hispanics who got funded also. The rest were Black folk...mostly churches. I just thought that was an interesting dynamic.

Equally interesting was their attitude towards George Bush who made the grant money more accessible to faith-based organizations in the first place. That was what this entire grant process was about.

We had to attend a lot of meetings mostly about how to run a non-profit and how to run a business...things that any self-respecting business owner receiving a Federal grant should have already known.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom