Anyone own or had problems with boxxer 427

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I had one but got rid of it

I had an early edition that went through several updates to work out the bugs

I spoke to the people that bought it from the store where I traded it in, I had a blower put in it when it was under warranty and they also had to put a blower in it but other then that they say it has run fine and they have put quite a few hours on it

if it was my money and buying new, I would buy a Thermal Wave II

Glynn

I have the newer 427 and it's been faultless. Very hot & fantastic vac too.

TimP

If it were me I'd look into the MAXX series in a HM. Or I'd look into buying a powerclean 47 freedom. I'm not saying the 427 is bad but I'd spend a bit more and get the best I could cause it's gonna last ya at least 5-10 years.

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
I've got to disagree with Tim.

The Maxx series of TM's use old technology. The 427 is next generation tech.

We've sold a few 427's and haven't had any major problems with them. Not as problem free as the 421 but nothing big.

T

The Magician

I agree with Tim. The Maxx with cast iron engine block and true water cooled will last much longer that the Boxxer. More horspower too.
Micah what old technlogy you talking about?? My dist doesn't like the boxxer pumps.

Know You See---- It but Where?

TimP

MicahR said:
I've got to disagree with Tim.

The Maxx series of TM's use old technology. The 427 is next generation tech.

We've sold a few 427's and haven't had any major problems with them. Not as problem free as the 421 but nothing big.

Last I heard the max series uses the same bucs coupler. What other "new" technology is on the 427. If I heard wrong what's wrong with belts everyone else uses them. I think the engine is much better on the max. Not to mention the best heat in class for sure. I figure you're listening to your HM rep and not thinking for yourself. Cause as far as I understand they uses the same technology.....and really there isn't much technology in a TM.

TimP

Greenie said:
You are right Albert, I think the 470s are belt drive, it's the 450s that are using the BUCs as well as the 427.

What is funny is HydraMaster talks about the bucs being all that, it delivers 100% of the avail. power then goes and puts belts on it's premium machines...lol So which is better HM, belts or couplers?

What year is the 470 you got?

That's where I read it at.....so I don't know one way or another. I'm just relaying what I heard/read.

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
The biggest difference is the catalytic heating. The other is the design and wiring.

Sure the Maxx's are bigger machines and will produce more heat, but like other manufactures Hydramaster has decided to simplify and make their machines more user friendly.

My service guy would much rather work on a 427 than a Maxx. So would my customers that have owned a Maxx. More simplified design = fewer headaches.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
MicahR said:
The biggest difference is the catalytic heating. The other is the design and wiring.

Sure the Maxx's are bigger machines and will produce more heat, but like other manufactures Hydramaster has decided to simplify and make their machines more user friendly.

My service guy would much rather work on a 427 than a Maxx. So would my customers that have owned a Maxx. More simplified design = fewer headaches.

Micah is spot on. The 427 is a much better choice for +90% of users.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
I do have to disagree with Shawn and Micah. Even though the 427 is a great machine I have seen far less issues with the Maxx and it is capable of a lot more. The only downfall of the 427 is the coupler. That thing drives me nuts.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Here ya go :)
100_0572small.jpg

100_0573small.jpg

100_0574small.jpg

100_0576small.jpg

100_0579small.jpg

John Olson

Name
John Olson
:p I only said it was my favorite Hydrmaster Picture. It only had 500 hours on it and was 11 months old. The fire didn't start until they where wrapped up and driving home. Could have been really really ugly.

Interlink had to yank it and send it back to hydramaster to completly re-wire and re-plump it. Personally I wouldn't have taken nothing less then a new machine. I am still waiting for them to call me and tell me it burned to the ground.

Chris i'll go take pics of the 427 we have here that is in peices and get the ones of the one that was sent back to Interlink in peices if that would make you feel better :lol:

On a serious note I love the CDS units. I have nothing bad to say about them at all. Matter of fact I recommend them over Butlers all the time. If I am going to lose a sale the least I can do is help them make the right choice.

TimP

I can tell you there really isn't much to a CDS as far as wires and stuff. And not much for a heat control either. Very simple design.

G

Geezus, I own a 427 900hrs nothing major. What's the story with that pic?

Steve1

427 Here, around 1200 hrs no major probs, starts right up uses no oil between 150 hr changes. Only have to put new seals in the HP pump, drips water when running.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
I have sold around a dozen 427's since I've been here and the only major issue I've seen is one that overheated and warped the head but that was user error. Ran it dry on oil. The couplers coming loose are the only other thing but as long as you keep an eye on it and tighten it once in a while you're ok.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
the first time I use my 427 at night I just about wigged out. The exhaust pipe was cherry red and glowing. If I had abestos gloves I probably could have formed the pipe to any bend I wanted to

I watched a pro chem mechanic litle his cig on it on day

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
That will happen when you have up to 900 degrees rolling through there. Freaked me out the first time too.

G

Heres my problem with that machine and many like it WTF is with all the circuitry,may as well put your cpu from your desktop right next to your truckmount.I guess it does rain alot in Washinton,those guys need to go out and play,and it is not overengineered,it is rediculously over complicated.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Interesting insights and pics.

For the distributors present:

How many units (of any brand) have you (or an employee) installed that you've been able to follow through most of the units' life?

I'll go first: 618 units installed new.

Units we've sold new:

BlueLine (Inc BlueLine Vortex)
Hydramaster
Masterblend
Prochem
White Magic
Workmaster (That one will date me!)

Units we've reinstalled and/or serviced that we don't sell (I have no record of how many of these)

Aerotech
Aquatech
Ballweber
Bane Clene
Butler
Chemko
Chemtex
Cleanco
Endura
Fox
Judson
Powerclean
Steamaction
Steam Genie
Steamway
Turbotech
Vortex (pre BlueLine)

I'm sure I've forgotten some brands in there over the past 35 years.

I'm not bragging, because I know Shawn Forsythe, Les Jones, and perhaps others have handled more. But it would help me to satisfy some curiosity that I have about the subject at hand.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
I haven't been around long enough to get that big of a list but I know the ins and outs of just about every machine we've sent out since I've been here. I have seen some off brands come through for repairs or replacement like Timbuktuu (spelling?), Masters Touch, RC Engines and a few others. I also got to do an install for one of Cobb's machines.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom