Apartment high rise strategy

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Anyone have any high rise experience? I am getting started with a CC business in a major city and I would like to capitalize on everything above the third floor. Unfortunately I will have to drag my portable/hoses/equiptment upstairs,or into elevators, and deal with parking issues. I was thinking of maybee using a shopping cart to get some supplies upstairs, and maybe charging extra to have a second helper. Anyone have some tips based on experience? Thanks

royalkid

Supportive Member
Name
Gulf Coast Carpet Care
sloth love chunk!

As far as high-rises...i would charge a few bucks extra for the PITA you WILL encounter...security, parking, using a service elevator and 2-3 trips...if they have carts there, try to get everything in one trip. You're gonna do a pre-inspection before you start hauling all of your stuff up...so grab the vacuum at that point (with paperwork), then you can do walk-thru and vac before going down and take vacuum with you (one less thing)...but they are usually a byotch so go for more $$$....we did a lot in Miami and they were unreal...(wanted insurance paperwork, business lic., drivers lics, work-order, call owner, and you better be out by 5:00pm)....Good Luck!

Mr.V

I've only done up to the 10th floor personally but I think u should just charge enough for a helper

or talk to Willy P on this board and ask his advice,,,,,,he's a pro at hauling everything at once.

GRHeacock

Lotsa high rise experience here.

Forget a shopping cart. Use professional equipment.

Get a portable with large, stair climbing rear wheels.

On the portable, if it does not come with a hose wrap and wand carrier, make one. So that all the needed items are in one place, nothing forgotten to make more trips to the truck for them.

Same with leaving. One glance shows all is present.

Use a turbine vac instead of an electric vac. It is powered by the vacs on the portable. And it can be used for dry vacuuming and for wet agitation of the pre-spray.

A rack or some place on one side for the cleaning concentrate jugs. Dilute on the 18th floor or wherever.

Spot bottles, foils, blocks in the same rack, so they do not have to be carried separately.

Use a fill hose and hose drain instead of buckets.

Get the idea? EVERYTHING IN ONE TRIP!!

If the combination is too heavy to lift in and out of the truck, use a ramp.

A lot of high rises have parking for service trucks and people. Many times it is not close to the service elevator. Lots of buildings have a 2 elevator system. One from the parking to the lobby, then from the lobby on up. This increases the difficulty of having to make several trips to get everything up- and down, going through security several times- etc- get my drift?

Gary.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
just you watch. you will have a job on the 15th floor and the elevators will be out. and you will have to haul all that stuff up the stairs. ha ha...

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I could get everything up in two trips by myself.
vacuum, groomer, wand, uph tool, the porty itself.
Solutions were in a 5 gal bucket, slipped into a2nd 5 gal bucket and bungied onto the back of the porty.

I would charge a little extra as well, market it as a highly specialized steam cleaning equipment for highrises.
Have lots of sliders and your lift buddy, with sticky tabs and blocks. There isn't much room in some apts/condos.
If you want to use a computer and portable printer, use one of those half size computers, everything for a portable office in a small backpack.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
And bring some kind of a defoamer. A lot of times these carpets have never been steam cleaned because of the PITA factor and have GodKnowsWhat used to "remove" spots and stains. Your porty will not like sucking up a quart of Resolve in a small area. I like Chemeister's RinseMaster; you can spray it on the carpet or put it in the waste tank or your vac hose.

Might wanna look into the DurrMaid or Rotovac mini portable extractors. Then you could certainly carry everything up in one trip with a small cart. However, you'll be lacking in heat, pressure, and some vacuum. You can still get around that though by using your cleaning pie. Get good chemicals, agitate, let dwell, and do extra dry strokes. I think you've got the right idea serving the high rise community in the bronx. I'm sure that's an underserved market. Good luck. I'm just north of you in the Hudson Valley.

Greenie

Dominick Cassano said:
Might wanna look into the DurrMaid or Rotovac mini portable extractors.... However, you'll be lacking in heat, pressure, and some vacuum.

You trying to discourage him?
Brother, you will want all heat pressure and vac you can cram on two circuits if this is gonna be your MAIN weapon, don't skimp.

You can still get around that though by using your cleaning pie. Get good chemicals, agitate, let dwell, and do extra dry strokes.

And...You are gonna do the above as a STANDARD part of your service, not some "extra".

I think you've got the right idea serving the high rise community in the bronx. I'm sure that's an underserved market. Good luck. I'm just north of you in the Hudson Valley.

I see it as an opportunity or a nightmare...it's as simple as this, you are either gonna be a Booutique cleaner that charges $75 a room in the big city and does kick ass work and have a charming personality, or you are gonna be like every other rookie and not appreciate your own labor and be selling your stuff on Mbay in a year.

I have a couple 5 story buildings that I do. Get a garbage can cart at home depo. Put a bucket full of pads on it , your vac, and sprayer, spoters. Push that in with one hand and drag an OP behind in the other. Simple is good. If I had to wheel my portable and all that goes with it I would not enjoy doing these acounts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom