Apples and Oranges

Bob Foster

So many of us are trying to make sense to what is said about tip size and flow. It's my pet peeve that people say things that could be interpreted so many different ways.

10flow - what's that? 2 jets 4 jets 5 jets and on what size of wand. So what does 10 flow really mean if you don't know the other relevant information. Is a Greenhorn or a PMF? Is it a 2 jets or what? Is it a 12 inch or a 14 inch?

Most of us get the drift - flush is good and how much is limited by our experience or experiments and how much water we can carry.

Why not flow per inch? Or better yet, why not talk about gallons per square foot?

Today I worked with my 02 x 5 14" hybrid glided Greenhorn on another bar that hadn't been cleaned for quiet awhile. What a beautiful tool. What a good pre-spray - Judson Juice 12 OZ in 4:1 H/F. 1.5 H/F gallons for 1500 sq. ft.

One half wand slow stroke. It was like using my 12" PMF for 4 stokes. 1530 square feet in 3 hours including a back forth stroke pre scrub with a beige padded Cimex and I used 100 American Gallons or .6 gallons a square foot EDIT CORRECTION I mean - 15.3 square feet per gallon.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
When someone refers to a term like "10 flow", they are generally referring to the total flow of all the jets combined:

5 jet wand with 02's: 5X2=10
2 jet wand with 05's: 2X5=10
etc..

High flow can be different depending on the machine and the wand hooked to it. High flow for a 33 blower with a PMF802 wand might be 08, for a screaming V or AT with a greenhorn or titanium it might be 24. It's all relative.

If your jets are angled toward the lips of your wand you can run higher flow and more pressure than someone who's wand jets point straight down at the carpet, which tends to push the dirt and water deep into the pile/backing where it is harder to recover completely.

Take care,
Lisa

Greenie

Flow per inch is a good standard, let's call it the Bob standard.

010 flow on a 10" butler 3 jet is one thing

010 flow on a PMF 16" would be a whole other animal.

Good point Bob.

ps: .6 gal per sq. ft. is a whole lotta water!

TimP

I couldn't imagine using .6 gal per sq ft. I did about 2000 sq ft commercial carpet today and didn't fill the 110 gal tank in my cds up. If I was running .6 gal per ft that would of been 1200 gallons. I would of had to dump 10-11 times and that's crazy. I figure I used .055 gallons per ft max if I would of filled the tank up, I do think it was close however. However I don't know what was left in the carpet. I used 150 ft and as I got closer to the door 100 ft, I turned the flow down to 450 cause the carpet was wetter than I liked at 500 psi and 150 ft with the RX.

Bob Foster

I think I need to redo my math 1530 square feet with a hundred gallons....15.3 square feet per gallon. The waste tank was pretty full too at the end of the job. Just think if I had a some better vac and cfm.

Carpet was very dry by noon but there is AC that would have helped dehumidify the place it.

The Preacher

did you get to drink free beer while scrubbing the puke and spilled licker???

if not you got hosed!!!

Bob Foster

No beer but I go there and eat chicken arms on Thursday nights. Hey I'll take 26 cents a foot for that work.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
All that water to clean a half inch fiber.

Geez this ain't rocket science.

Back
Top Bottom