Application of Carpet Protectant

4RealMustang

Name
Spencer
Everyone,

I have been a lurker on this site for a while and have recently gotten into the cleaning business. I have been doing a lot of research on carpet cleaning and all of the aspects which go with it. One thing I just cannot really get good information on is carpet protectant. What is the process of that once you are done with the carpet? Do you simply spray and walk away? work it in with a special brush or something? I just want to make sure if we are upselling this, we are doing it right for the customer. any videos/resources you may have will be thoroughly welcomed. :)

Thanks in advance for any/all help!

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Everyone,

I have been a lurker on this site for a while and have recently gotten into the cleaning business. I have been doing a lot of research on carpet cleaning and all of the aspects which go with it. One thing I just cannot really get good information on is carpet protectant. What is the process of that once you are done with the carpet? Do you simply spray and walk away? work it in with a special brush or something? I just want to make sure if we are upselling this, we are doing it right for the customer. any videos/resources you may have will be thoroughly welcomed. :)

Thanks in advance for any/all help!

A few thoughts:

1. Be sure not to oversell what the product can do. Protector lessens resoil rates - if the carpet is vacuumed regularly. Protector should resist oily and water based spills-but does not make them stain proof.

2. Apply your protector in a sprayer that is only used to apply that product. Cross contamination with detergent or deodorizing treatments can significantly diminish the performance of the protector on the carpet or upholstery fabric.

3. Protector works best when there is as little residue left in the carpet or upholstery as possible.

4. Protector works best when worked into the pile of the carpet. A CLEAN carpet rake or brush will do the trick. On coarsely woven or fabrics that have a pile, use a clean brush to work the protector into upholstery fabric. Solvent based protectors don't need to have this step done.

5. Protector doesn't come out each time you clean, but does wear off in traffic areas over time.

If you have the time, you should test the protector you want to use yourself. Doing so will improve your confidence in the product's performance.

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Also have an understanding of what fibers it excells on
An those it does not.

4RealMustang

Name
Spencer
A few thoughts:

1. Be sure not to oversell what the product can do. Protector lessens resoil rates - if the carpet is vacuumed regularly. Protector should resist oily and water based spills-but does not make them stain proof.

2. Apply your protector in a sprayer that is only used to apply that product. Cross contamination with detergent or deodorizing treatments can significantly diminish the performance of the protector on the carpet or upholstery fabric.

3. Protector works best when there is as little residue left in the carpet or upholstery as possible.

4. Protector works best when worked into the pile of the carpet. A CLEAN carpet rake or brush will do the trick. On coarsely woven or fabrics that have a pile, use a clean brush to work the protector into upholstery fabric. Solvent based protectors don't need to have this step done.

5. Protector doesn't come out each time you clean, but does wear off in traffic areas over time.

If you have the time, you should test the protector you want to use yourself. Doing so will improve your confidence in the product's performance.
Thank you very much for the response!

Tom Forsythe

You can get crunchy carpet from both too much encapsulant and protector. Typically a good vacuuming will remove it. I only remember one call over twenty years as a result of crunchy carpet. It happened in a room that was almost never used, but cleaned and protected on a regular basis.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I'd talk more out of carpet protector than into it
Why is that? I am genuinely curious as I have heard this, but no real justification. crunchy carpet?

Given real-world experience of the value of protected vs. non-protected textiles, I too would like to hear some fact-based reasons for talking people out of them.

Something better than, "It leaves the carpet at night to club baby seals."

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
crunchy carpet?

Do you have nylon cut pile in your home?
If so, clean it, apply protectant according to manufacture's recommendations.

I'd also suggest you leave a control area unprotected to evaluate effectiveness in the months following application of

You won't have to take my, or anyone else "word for it"
You'll also have to do the same on different carpet types in different environments as well to get a more complete picture .

Regular quarterly and bi-annual accounts are a perfect place for that.

..L.T.A.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
I carry a gallon or two and a dedicated sprayer on the truck, but I never try to sell it because I'm lazy and don't like to unpack the respirator necessary so I don't taste solvent protector for the following twelve hours. But I know it works. I recently spilled a full cup of hot black coffee on the wool rug under my recliner. I last washed and applied Cobb's solvent protector about four years ago. Spill came right up with my little wet-dry shop vac. No stain.

Last edited:

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
"It's so expensive to get carpet cleaned, can you put a protector on so I don't have to get it cleaned so often?"

well maintained places I won't generally try and talk out of applying

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
I offer Protector to those that request it, but I'd rather not deal with it.

To do it "right" I:

-Buy and maintain a dedicated $600 electric sprayer with the proper pressure and jet.
-Mix up the product fresh for every application.
-Apply at the proper dilution and rate.
-Thoroughly work the protector in with a grooming brush.

When done properly and to spec I don't find protector application to be nearly as quick nor as lucrative as the industry supply houses would have us believe. It also noticeably extends dry times when applied at the indicated rate.

I'm sure it's quick and easy money for the guys that charge $20 a room and mist an ounce or two down with a bug sprayer, but at least I can sleep at night.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
-Buy and maintain a dedicated $600 electric sprayer with the proper pressure and jet.
Except for the need to spend $600 on a sprayer, I'm with you. And you're right, it isn't as lucrative to apply it correctly than take shortcuts. Nothing is.

Although people with well maintained homes are more likely to buy protectant, the poorly maintained homes needs it more. If the owner won't pay for protectant in a difficult to clean property, we apply it and don't tell them. Our cleaning "lasts" a noticeably longer time, and it makes life easier for the next tech that has to clean that carpet.

If you have a contract to clean restaurants or other heavily soiled areas, try an application. Hellholes become cake.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Except for the need to spend $600 on a sprayer, I'm with you. And you're right, it isn't as lucrative to apply it correctly than take shortcuts. Nothing is.

Although people with well maintained homes are more likely to buy protectant, the poorly maintained homes needs it more. If the owner won't pay for protectant in a difficult to clean property, we apply it and don't tell them. Our cleaning "lasts" a noticeably longer time, and it makes life easier for the next tech that has to clean that carpet.

If you have a contract to clean restaurants or other heavily soiled areas, try an application. Hellholes become cake.
I apply more protectant on commercial carpets than residential. Build it into my price. Makes cleaning next time a lot easier.

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
apply just like you apply prespray with a pump up. No big deal. No degree or iicrc credentials needed

in some cases for the cheap bastids that give you a hard time, use a trigger spray bottle. Spray spray here and there.
‘Yes Mr / Mrs Chisler, protector was applied‘
(that will fix em...don’t mess with me)

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
I offer Protector to those that request it, but I'd rather not deal with it.

To do it "right" I:

When done properly and to spec I don't find protector application to be nearly as quick nor as lucrative as the industry supply houses would have us believe. It also noticeably extends dry times when applied at the indicated rate.

I'm sure it's quick and easy money for the guys that charge $20 a room and mist an ounce or two down with a bug sprayer, but at least I can sleep at night.

Have you tried solvent protector?

No mixing. Actually accelerates drying because solvent evaporates faster. No need to brush in, I'm told.

You can also spray bug juice from a $600 electric sprayer. I have two battery Multi Sprayers. A good dedicated pump up sprayer works well for protector.

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Have you tried solvent protector?

No mixing. Actually accelerates drying because solvent evaporates faster. No need to brush in, I'm told.

You can also spray bug juice from a $600 electric sprayer. I have two battery Multi Sprayers. A good dedicated pump up sprayer works well for protector.
Solvent protectors is very expensive and very toxic.

Reactions: Hack Attack

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom