Are your marketing materials filled with platitudes?????

FredC

Village Idiot
First let me say again...you will not find where I agreed or disagreed with the material in the OP.

Yes. Yes I have. I would say that results differ based on the medium and the product/service offered.

for example here in internet world in areas of higher search volumes some of the "platitudes" have a distinct advantage in that they also double as common search terms.

Exploiting these "distinct advantages" requires certain placement/emphasis on them...........

Last edited:

FredC

Village Idiot
took a nap after the hamburger helper...probably the blood restriction from the clogged arteries making me tire..

but alert and working now...

and I have an idea...or two

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Thought I'd make an account just for this thread.

Since I can only assume what has happened in here is that FredC has taken advantage of Beeks lack of knowledge, I thought I'd maybe elaborate on Beeks points.

First off, these overused phrases that are being used in advertising are still generating leads because there is no other choice for the consumer.

If you open the yellow pages, and every company is telling you they're "Honest. Reliable. Ethical." you've still got to make the choice to call ONE of them.

However, say if ONE of those companies makes a statement such as, "Will respond to all emergency floods in 12 hours or less or your service is free.", who will you choose? Are you still going to choose to go with the company that is making empty claims as to their honesty, reliability and ethics? Do you HAVE to be honest, reliable and ethical to make these claims in the first place?

This gets us into the subject of conversion rates.

As FredC says, these overused statements still work, but if you're focusing on direct-response marketing, you're really focused on your ROI. So, whenever your conversion rate can increase, it's always something to be interested in, especially when it's as simple as crafting a USP. Sometimes, by increasing your conversion rate, you can get into marketing channels that were previously not viable for you due to the fact your conversion rate wasn't allowing a ROI.

The great thing about a USP, is that you can speak directly to the target market you are in fact targeting. For simplicity sake, let's say as a carpet cleaner, you're targeting hotels, and you decide that direct mail is the best way to do this.

You decide to split-test to see which results would be superior, using a USP vs. using an empty marketing slogan.

In variation A, the marketing slogan says, "The Carpet Cleaning Company You Can Trust."

In variation B, the USP says, "We help hotels get their rooms looking their best and back on the market in under 1 hour per room."

Who do you think the owner/manager is going to call back? The "me too" carpet cleaner, or the carpet cleaner that SPECIALIZES and GUARANTEES their work to the hotel.

Perhaps one of the most famous examples of a USP being used successfully is Domino's.

Instead of saying, "We deliver pizza", they said, ""You get fresh, hot pizza delivered to your door in 30 minutes or less -- or it's free." According to Domino's that USP was worth $1 Billion dollars to them, as it positioned them in the pizza restaurant industry as the number 2 player in the game (apparently they've always been second to Pizza Hut).

With all this being said, here is a REALLY simple formula for you to use to create your own USP.

"I/We Help _________________________ Who struggle with/want to ______________________ Get __________________ in/with/without ___________"

Just fill in the blanks.

Since it's sometimes hard to see it from the consumers point of view when you're the service/product provider, let's use this formula to create a USP for a chiropractor for examples sake.

"We help car accident victims who struggle with back pain get over their pain in 90 days... 100% guaranteed!"

Once again, no car accident victim is going to keep shopping around reading the same old typical "Best in Town" garbage, when they've got a chiropractor telling them they specialize in helping people in their exact predicament.

Anyways, hope this helps.

Sincerely,

thebestmarketeralive

Yes, but do YOU know how to write a YP ad.... :oldrolleyes:

Whenever someone pulls out national businesses as examples its usually a sign they have no clue what they are talking about.
BTW

I have heard those examples a thousand times, what you jokers seem to overlook is they spend a $Billion dollars a year on advertising. Even if they didnt have some clever USP they would still be successful, Its icing on the cake NOT the cake.

Name
Jimmy
First let me say again...you will not find where I agreed or disagreed with the material in the OP.

Yes. Yes I have. I would say that results differ based on the medium and the product/service offered.

for example here in internet world in areas of higher search volumes some of the "platitudes" have a distinct advantage in that they also double as common search terms.

Exploiting these "distinct advantages" requires certain placement/emphasis on them...........

I apologize.

In your first post it certainly seemed as though you were attacking him based on some of his thoughts or whatever he had read on platitudes. As this was the first thread I've ever read on this forum, perhaps I just wasn't picking up on your style of educating.

If you find search terms with search volume that are in fact platitudes, that's great, but you could still put a USP in there at the top of the page, which wouldn't hamper the SEO results.

Name
Jimmy
Yes, but do YOU know how to write a YP ad.... :oldrolleyes:

Whenever someone pulls out national businesses as examples its usually a sign they have no clue what they are talking about.
BTW

I have heard those examples a thousand times, what you jokers seem to overlook is they spend a $Billion dollars a year on advertising. Even if they didn't have some clever USP they would still be successful, Its icing on the cake NOT the cake.

Um yep, written Yellow Pages ads before.

Here's something simple to keep in mind, where you see a phrase that is a platitude, replace it with a USP, and BOOM, you stand out amongst all of your competitors.

I think you're getting confused, you're right these companies spend huge amounts a year on marketing, and more often than not, very ineffective marketing at that, usually in the form of branding campaigns which as a local carpet cleaner, you shouldn't be worried about.

However, using a USP is an aspect related to direct response marketing, as you actually are giving your prospect something to move them closer to the sale. And in all direct response marketing, it's very trackable, meaning you can track the amount of leads generated from a particular ad, figure out your conversion rate on the ad and decide if it's a profitable place for you to do your marketing or not.

Really, you should speak with such passion against platitudes, because they lean more towards the branding side, "Loyal. Ethical. Nobody Cares.", this is the type of marketing you're actually speaking out against when you say, "Well they have billions of dollars in advertising".

A USP is simply discovering your target markets pain point, and then solving their problem.

Let's not look at this as though it's Domino's and instead a small local pizza place. The local pizza place finds that their target markets biggest hurdle in ordering a pizza is the fact pizza delivery often takes an hour and by the time it arrives is often cold and is better served to the garbage then their stomachs (pain point).

So, they craft a USP that alleviates this problem, "Pizza delivered in the 30 minutes --- or it's free!", and not only are they alleviating the problem, but they're stamping it with a guarantee that is EXTREMELY simple to understand.

Okay, how do they market it? Direct mail flyers? Sure. So, they buy 5,000 direct mail flyers, and say you MUST mention this offer to redeem it (there's the tracking), and send them to apartments and houses.

Let's say to create the flyer and send it out they spent $3,000.

The average order comes in at $20/each and the advertisement does well and converts at 2%, and it generates 100 orders or $2,000.00. Unfortunately the initial ad doesn't generate an ROI.

However, in the process of this, they have collected the name and address of each person that redeemed their ad, now they have a very small but strong list to re-market to as they've proven themselves as buyers. The campaign slowly builds out as they continue the initial mailings + build out their buyers list.

Perhaps they use a loyalty card that is only given to customers that were generated via that direct mail, and they realize over a 6 month period, that customer isn't only worth the initial $20, they've actually ordered a pizza every month over a 6 month period, so that customer is now worth $120 to them.

So, let's say 25% of those generated from the initial mailing went on to prove that their value was in the form of $120, that would be 25 people X $120 = $3,000.00 + the other 75 people that only ordered the first time = $1,500.

Now the campaign has went from generating $2,000 initially, to generating $4,500, providing an ROI on the initial investment. Of course I really don't know the costs of making the pizza etc.

From here, they can further market promotions to their buyers list, implement referral programs and on and on.

I know you could pick all those numbers apart, but they're fairly conservative, and I'm trying to illustrate the point that it's not a matter of Domino's having a billion dollars in their marketing budget, it's a matter of crafting a marketing piece that generates enough business that your marketing is ROI positive. Also note, that I don't believe Domino's did anything I mentioned, this is just a way that it COULD have been done, it's a matter of looking at previous successful marketing campaigns that are done, and re-crafting them to suit your business, and adding your own spin to pump the campaign for more money than even one of the big guys thought to do.

In saying all of this, the best USP implementation I've found by split testing myself was for a dentist.

We were targeting women, between 25-40, who were engaged, we were using the very invasive Facebook as our platform, haha. The product we were marketing to them was Invisalign, and hitting the pain point of having crooked teeth in their wedding pictures.

All of the copy remained the same, but, in the top left, before any of the copy started, we ran two different variations.

One had the dentists logo and his little slogan of, "Best Dentist in _______"

The other one I used the formula I mentioned in my first post, "We specialize in helping brides-to-be get their perfect smile in 120 days or less..."

I can only conclude that it acted as a hook, as it was in the top left, before any of the copy started. So, instead of reading the head line first and saying yae or nae, they stayed because here's a dentist that specialized in helping THEM fix THEIR problem.

The conversion rate moved from 0.3% -> 2.4% just with the USP.

Let's say Fred had one of the flashing advertisements on this page, and his said, "We specialize in Websites and SEO for Carpet Cleaners."

And I had an ad on here that said, "We specialize in Websites and SEO."

Now, neither of us would have posted here, so you wouldn't have the rapport or have seen the knowledge that Fred portrays, you're acting purely off the advertisement.

Would you not go with Fred? Would you not even be willing to pay Fred more because he SPECIALIZES in helping YOU specifically?? You would believe, and rightly so I'm sure, that Fred has specific knowledge in helping YOU as a carpet cleaner. Where as I would only be able to apply strategies that I've seen work in other markets.

Anyways, I think we've all said enough on this subject for people reading this to come to their own conclusions.

Please accept that I simply came here to add value to a thread that I thought needed it, I am not aware of the other content on this forum, so whether I repeated what everybody else is saying or not, I don't know.

Last edited:

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Um yep, written Yellow Pages ads before.

Here's something simple to keep in mind, where you see a phrase that is a platitude, replace it with a USP, and BOOM, you stand out amongst all of your competitors.

I think you're getting confused, you're right these companies spend huge amounts a year on marketing, and more often than not, very ineffective marketing at that, usually in the form of branding campaigns which as a local carpet cleaner, you shouldn't be worried about.

However, using a USP is an aspect related to direct response marketing, as you actually are giving your prospect something to move them closer to the sale. And in all direct response marketing, it's very trackable, meaning you can track the amount of leads generated from a particular ad, figure out your conversion rate on the ad and decide if it's a profitable place for you to do your marketing or not.

Really, you should speak with such passion against platitudes, because they lean more towards the branding side, "Loyal. Ethical. Nobody Cares.", this is the type of marketing you're actually speaking out against when you say, "Well they have billions of dollars in advertising".

A USP is simply discovering your target markets pain point, and then solving their problem.

Let's not look at this as though it's Domino's and instead a small local pizza place. The local pizza place finds that their target markets biggest hurdle in ordering a pizza is the fact pizza delivery often takes an hour and by the time it arrives is often cold and is better served to the garbage then their stomachs (pain point).

So, they craft a USP that alleviates this problem, "Pizza delivered in the 30 minutes --- or it's free!", and not only are they alleviating the problem, but they're stamping it with a guarantee that is EXTREMELY simple to understand.

Okay, how do they market it? Direct mail flyers? Sure. So, they buy 5,000 direct mail flyers, and say you MUST mention this offer to redeem it (there's the tracking), and send them to apartments and houses.

Let's say to create the flyer and send it out they spent $3,000.

The average order comes in at $20/each and the advertisement does well and converts at 2%, and it generates 100 orders or $2,000.00. Unfortunately the initial ad doesn't generate an ROI.

However, in the process of this, they have collected the name and address of each person that redeemed their ad, now they have a very small but strong list to re-market to as they've proven themselves as buyers. The campaign slowly builds out as they continue the initial mailings + build out their buyers list.

Perhaps they use a loyalty card that is only given to customers that were generated via that direct mail, and they realize over a 6 month period, that customer isn't only worth the initial $20, they've actually ordered a pizza every month over a 6 month period, so that customer is now worth $120 to them.

So, let's say 25% of those generated from the initial mailing went on to prove that their value was in the form of $120, that would be 25 people X $120 = $3,000.00 + the other 75 people that only ordered the first time = $1,500.

Now the campaign has went from generating $2,000 initially, to generating $4,500, providing an ROI on the initial investment. Of course I really don't know the costs of making the pizza etc.

From here, they can further market promotions to their buyers list, implement referral programs and on and on.

I know you could pick all those numbers apart, but they're fairly conservative, and I'm trying to illustrate the point that it's not a matter of Domino's having a billion dollars in their marketing budget, it's a matter of crafting a marketing piece that generates enough business that your marketing is ROI positive. Also note, that I don't believe Domino's did anything I mentioned, this is just a way that it COULD have been done, it's a matter of looking at previous successful marketing campaigns that are done, and re-crafting them to suit your business, and adding your own spin to pump the campaign for more money than even one of the big guys thought to do.

In saying all of this, the best USP implementation I've found by split testing myself was for a dentist.

We were targeting women, between 25-40, who were engaged, we were using the very invasive Facebook as our platform, haha. The product we were marketing to them was Invisalign, and hitting the pain point of having crooked teeth in their wedding pictures.

All of the copy remained the same, but, in the top left, before any of the copy started, we ran two different variations.

One had the dentists logo and his little slogan of, "Best Dentist in _______"

The other one I used the formula I mentioned in my first post, "We specialize in helping brides-to-be get their perfect smile in 120 days or less..."

I can only conclude that it acted as a hook, as it was in the top left, before any of the copy started. So, instead of reading the head line first and saying yae or nae, they stayed because here's a dentist that specialized in helping THEM fix THEIR problem.

The conversion rate moved from 0.3% -> 2.4% just with the USP.

Let's say Fred had one of the flashing advertisements on this page, and his said, "We specialize in Websites and SEO for Carpet Cleaners."

And I had an ad on here that said, "We specialize in Websites and SEO."

Now, neither of us would have posted here, so you wouldn't have the rapport or have seen the knowledge that Fred portrays, you're acting purely off the advertisement.

Would you not go with Fred? Would you not even be willing to pay Fred more because he SPECIALIZES in helping YOU specifically?? You would believe, and rightly so I'm sure, that Fred has specific knowledge in helping YOU as a carpet cleaner. Where as I would only be able to apply strategies that I've seen work in other markets.

Anyways, I think we've all said enough on this subject for people reading this to come to their own conclusions.

Please accept that I simply came here to add value to a thread that I thought needed it, I am not aware of the other content on this forum, so whether I repeated what everybody else is saying or not, I don't know.

Thanks! good stuff but i can google "marketing case studies" or "usp case studies" and find 1000 more just like it.

How about you create something real specifically for carpet cleaners, a direct mail postcard. If your interested pm me and i can set up a demographic and problem to solve.
If its really good i will buy the design from you, if not then you go on the very long list of people who are full of shit on forums.

See most veterans are just tired of discussing this in the abstract...

Beeks

Name
J.R.
This is some good info guys, and i can say thanks for elaborating for me Jimmy, though i could have done something similar if asked, but no one did so i went on my way.

Shane there is a good book that goes into great detail about this information, i know you being an avid reader would enjoy it, and implement some of the strategies, if you are interested let me know ill pass it your way.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
"The Best Marketer Alive" is a good sport, he did contact me and is creating a postcard.

Maybe mike can put it up for auction if its good BUT if its really really good i am keeping it for myself, screw you guys...

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Maybe mike can put it up for auction if its good BUT if its really really good i am keeping it for myself, screw you guys...
If it's really good I'm paying more than $2.00 to get it from you! :p

I'm willing to go as high as $5.00 over your best offer! :headbang:

:biggrin:

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Yeah its like the Price is Right... but you have more money then me :madd:

This could be an interesting thread if the guy follows through, his facebook example was excellent. Too often we end up running an advertisement listing our services and using our business name as the headline which is only going to give us low/medium results. But if we can learn to create specific ads for a specific group then the real results will follow.

We'll see....

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Update ****

"Jimmy" did contact me and says he needs a week to research the industry and info i gave him, which is fair enough...

I put it at 1% chance he comes through but hey someone has to win the the lottery :p

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Turns out this best marketer alive poster is the real deal. He wrote me up some copy for a direct mail piece and its pretty good, definitely original, unique.

Also, he sent 2 pages of cliff notes explaining why he chose certain keywords and reasoning behind each section. Pretty cool if you ask me, never had anyone do that before.

I will post it only after paying for it, his wish.

Beeks

Name
J.R.
Turns out this best marketer alive poster is the real deal. He wrote me up some copy for a direct mail piece and its pretty good, definitely original, unique.

Also, he sent 2 pages of cliff notes explaining why he chose certain keywords and reasoning behind each section. Pretty cool if you ask me, never had anyone do that before.

I will post it only after paying for it, his wish.

Interested in seeing it, as i too implemented this type of information in my last mailer, it will hit the streets on the 22nd

Good stuff, like i said before Shane, there is a book that goes into great detail on how to, when to, and why for the exact same info as i and TBMA talk about in this thread. Let me know if you want me to pass it your way.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Interested in seeing it, as i too implemented this type of information in my last mailer, it will hit the streets on the 22nd

Good stuff, like i said before Shane, there is a book that goes into great detail on how to, when to, and why for the exact same info as i and TBMA talk about in this thread. Let me know if you want me to pass it your way.

Definitely!

Either pm me or email, which ever is easiest for you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom