area carpet and urine

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Just wondering what your procedures are for removing urine from area rugs.

Have a simple rug pit, tarp over 2"abs pipe
I've a synthetic shag, soaked in an acidic + quatalot, worked it in and waterclawed
then another soak with O2 and some DD12
slow thorough rinse with greenhorn on both sides
That didnt do it so another soak in acid + Quat
last soak was with just DD12

Still missed areas.
Gotta find a more efficient way of removing urine. This is just too time intensive for what I can charge for a $80rug.

Luis Gomez

Name
Luis Gomez
On cheap rugs, I use Interlink's pet zone or CTI's OSR, but make
sure you flush the carpet with a garden hose until the water
runs clear.
Luis

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Anything with a latex component, particularly Indian or Chinese hand-tufted rugs, can't be completely decontaminated. You'll get lucky a time or two, but these rugs aren't worth the time and expense to get them back to pure anyway.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Ron i have more then once used good old fashion bleach. i mix 2 cups per 5 gals.. i soak the rug with just water and then pour the mixture over it. i have even used it on a wool rug with no noticeable change in color or texture. the rug is already soaked in urine, tell them that it may loose some color or even be permanently damaged . dirt cheap and works

gene

GeneMiller said:
Ron i have more then once used good old fashion bleach. i mix 2 cups per 5 gals.. i soak the rug with just water and then pour the mixture over it. i have even used it on a wool rug with no noticeable change in color or texture. the rug is already soaked in urine, tell them that it may loose some color or even be permanently damaged . dirt cheap and works

gene

This a joke?

Luis Gomez

Name
Luis Gomez
Ron... if you can not get OSR talk to the customer and try
Gene's solution it should work. Magic Wand makes OSR for wool, I have
used regular OSR on Tibetan vegetable dye wools (that have been
peed on by three chihuahuas and shitted by a guacamaya) and have not
seen any apparent damage to the fibers. The odor and stains where removed,
but that is not to say that the fibers where not altered.
Luis

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
:shock:

Its not rocket science.. if its tufted they usually don't want to pay.. if its woven.. its in the pit with skunk out.. nothing more needed but time, a little rolling action and lots and lots of flushing.

While bleach has supposedly a very quick reaction time.. why risk it.. when there are safer products out there.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Osr on an Oriental rug will damage the cotton foundation. It is ok to use on a wool tufted rug . Bit oxidizers and cotton , I dont know .

rhyde

Name
rhyde
GeneMiller said:

gene

You can do this with some rugs but you need to be careful it will bite you at some point di chlor is safer not safe but ER

it's like Russian roulette it's not the five empty cylinders you need to worry about it's the sixth one

Reactions: Jeff Madsen

Nathan544

Name
Nathan Koets
Time is part of the cleaning pie that is often ignored. How long did you soak your rug, Ron? Saturation (note that I didnt say "application") of any rug with properly diluted Microban Clean Carpet Sanitizer, overnight, rarely fails. And like RH said, dichlor (pool shock) would be a better/safer choice than Clorox; after all, it takes a while to ruin a swimsuit. :)

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Ron K

Nate;
Nice to hear you're still out there
The "TIME" part is quickly forgotten by most!
Ron

rhyde

Name
rhyde
I agree, chemistry can save time but it’s not the end all.

Who here hasn't spent a money on products that fail to preform or In an attempt
shave time/ money on a job fail to give adequate time resulting in unsatisfactory cleaning, complaint, loss of customer or subsequent re-wash that in the end was a much greater time and money waster
than spending a little bit more time the first go around.

Yes we can bounce the percentages of the ol' pesky pie chart around but it still applies.

Ron K

Our way of thinking is remove the source remove the odor. If you put "Odor" in you're just as bad as if not worse than the offender. Aren't we the ones that are getting paid to remove the urine not just mask the odor. I agree time is money sooooo maybe you should charge more for your time.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
I charge more for my time Ron $1.00 more a sq ft Urine decontamination . I use alot of flushing for me is the key. I have been very sucessful in cat urine and that blows .

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Our way of thinking is remove the source remove the odor. If you put "Odor" in you're just as bad as if not worse than the offender. Aren't we the ones that are getting paid to remove the urine not just mask the odor. I agree time is money sooooo maybe you should charge more for your time.

I whole heartedly agree.

There are many ways to succeed and be effective. My bias has led me now to use U-Turn. It breaks the unwanted urine down on an atomic level fast and safely. That saves time and floor space. Why do I say floor space? Because the typical approach to soaking a rug flat for hours and possibly overnight in various pits takes up premium floor space that could be used for other things. The objective is to get urine that has bonded on the textile off, and then flush it away. When it is gone, so is the odor.

I too believe that clean is the smell of a rug, not perfume.

All of you rug washers are making good points!

Side point:

I was at a rug plant recently that had been using, mainly during the popular trend, glacial acetic acid (in concentrate). Not only was it harmful to breath for workers, it was problematic for storage. It literally ruined a very nice concrete wash floor by pitting it excessively. The company decidely took a different approach to urine removal. Having reported that, this is not to say it could not be used safely. But caution is required.

(U-Turn is plant based and safe)

Ron K

Knowledge is the key!

If you know what you are doing to what you are doing it to, you can soak rugs in many ways and still do the right thing and be cost effective too

prodrying

On those badly urine soaked rugs we usually soak them in the pit with just water for a while and let as much urine as possible come out. Then when we have it all out, then we will use an enzyme, osr, Chemmax's triple deodorizer, or something else similar.

BST1

Name
Brian Terpstra
You need to make it worth your time and charge more. Soak, scrub, rinse, and repeat if necessary.

jdonald

Name
Jay Donald
I have two dogs and they have accidents on occasion. I have found the best thing to use is white vinegar. I saturate the rug in the area stained and let it dry naturally. This will neutralize the urine smell although there will be a faint vinegar odor left behind. I then use my carpet shampooer to remove the odor from the vinegar. This works every time for me.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I have two dogs and they have accidents on occasion. I have found the best thing to use is white vinegar. I saturate the rug in the area stained and let it dry naturally. This will neutralize the urine smell although there will be a faint vinegar odor left behind. I then use my carpet shampooer to remove the odor from the vinegar. This works every time for me.

You are not serious...

Are you selling that Hoover that is all over your website? I have a feeling not many around here will want it..

Last edited:

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Ron we would flush the urine soaked rug with clean water first in a pit- to release as much urine as possible before introducing chemicals.

That way I believe we have a better chance to remove the odor with less chemicals used.

I second the idea of not even dealing with tufted junk....or charge enough to make it worth it. Especially with a secondary backing that could end up coming loose and broken down. I regularly tell people that, to fix a cheap chinese rug that THEIR pets damaged will cost them a lot- where they will not be wanting to pay for the cleaning. Especially if the backing was turning into powder already and need reglued after a soak destroys it...

Or tell them they will get wanded out and treated with some deodorizer but no guarantee on odor removal.

Name
nunzio billante
urine spots

Good to flush with warm water blott it dry a couple of times . Maybe use a live enzyme to eat away at the urine do this a couple of time while blotting it up then rinse again with warm water and you can u a wet vac to get all the water out from the carpet and pad. Then spritz the carpet with a lttle bit of vinegar and then your dog or cat will not go back to that site .

Last edited:
Name
nunzio billante
I use the rotovac 360 I and that gets any stain out I have never found somthing I could not get out with my machine. A good pre treatment let it dwell and everything comes right up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom