Area rug cleaning question

I picked up a rug for a customer that was a referral. The rug is unique because it is several pieces of scrap shag material that has been seamed together. The rug has a strong urine smell from cat urine. I have always been able to remove pet urine odor from rugs by thoroughly washing and flushing them. This rug cannot be scrubbed and aggressively cleaned because of the seams. I was planning on saturating the rug and extracting with a water-claw and repeating this process several times and then treating the rug with a bio-enzyme solution.

Should I clean the rug using the above method or return it to the customer and pass on this job?

G

Pit clean it after a good saturation in your favorite odor chem. Post pit extract it; hang it dry.

okccarpetman

spray the shit out of it with enzymes , and water its a soluable also. then come back about 1 to 2 hours and then extract it in 2-3 directions.. then spray it with a good disinfectant!!!! it may take awhile to dry so get as much as you can out of it...and you might even charge alittle more for a double trip!!!!!

tip by james

shouldn't every carpet cleaning be this good!!!!

Mikey P

Administrator
Joe Appleby , who cleans a lot of rugs, I mean a lot, says just flushing with plain water will get urine out.

anyone else find this to be true?

okccarpetman

yes but to make it easier on the material , plus it DRIES QUICKER , if not just use water!

or for that matter you could even clean it with a dry foam method with the right tools!!!
i started with a dry foam emalsufier, its the best way to clean rugs anyway!!!

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Mikey P said:
Joe Appleby , who cleans a lot of rugs, I mean a lot, says just flushing with plain water will get urine out.

anyone else find this to be true?

More so with fresh urine when it's stewed in the rug awhile it’s a little tougher to remove.

As for the rug It going to depend on how it’s seemed together if the issue the seams soften up ( glue) or can’t handle the weight of being moved wet wash it and run air movers under it and dry in place

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
You can soak a contaminated "rug" for a few hours to break up the solid crystals in the cotton foundation (a little acid helps too). No need for a pit but it helps. Run lots of clear water through while pressing out the pee pee with just your wand until its clear yellow free water. No need for chemicals. My mom never washed my cotton diapers in deodorizers and enzymes and she still doesn't.

If you've got a domestic carpet with seams, warn the customer about delaminating and possible seam separation.

When we're finished decontaminating there should no odor. No foo foo cherry, grape vanilla odor either. Charge double.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
My mom never washed my cotton diapers in deodorizers and enzymes and she still doesn't.

You should be ashamed. Do your own diapers. :oops:

The rug is unique because it is several pieces of scrap shag material that has been seamed together. The rug has a strong urine smell from cat urine. I have always been able to remove pet urine odor from rugs by thoroughly washing and flushing them. This rug cannot be scrubbed and aggressively cleaned because of the seams. I was planning on saturating the rug and extracting with a water-claw and repeating this process several times and then treating the rug with a bio-enzyme solution.

Should I clean the rug using the above method or return it to the customer and pass on this job?

You have two problems with this rug, the seams (although you don't say if they're hot melt tape, glue gun or hand sewn) are most likely hot melt tape, and the latex (I'll make another assumption that this is machine tufted carpeting) binder. Due to the latex wanting to hold on to urine, and the length of time you'd have to soak the rug to remove the urine, you may have a rug that will be damaged by the process long before you can improve the odor.

Make sure the owner of a "scrap shag" carpet is willing to pay you enough for the time involved.

John Watson

Joe Appleby said:
My mom never washed my cotton diapers in deodorizers and enzymes and she still doesn't.

Come on Joe, give mom a break,

They got depends now

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom