Aren't you just LOVING these higher gas prices.

FOR REAL!

I know it is a little less profit at current pricing levels, but you can always just charge a little more.

Ok so here is how you handle higher fuel prices. This is what I do.

First you buy a super expensive (ok not that expensive truckmount - 25k).

Next you drive an average of 15-20 miles one way between jobs in a truck that gets maybe 10 mpg.

Next when gas prices climb 50 cents per gallon in less than 6 weeks you slash your prices, offer free baths, closets, and small hallways.

You never upsell except for occassional upholstery add ons.

You advertise no hiddnen charges meaning if a carpet takes three times longer to clean, you just man up and do it for your already low advertised price. We are talking about some nasty carpet from frying wings on a daily basis. The carpet is just plain nasty. You could do a rotary scrub and rotary extraction, but you have to stick to your low price.

Next you promote your stellar service with the BBB and will do everything in your power to keep it PERFECT.

The best part is with 3.25 per gallon gas you clean three rooms for 75 dollars with a super bad ass truck mount.

That is the recipe for success right there.

:roll:

Name
Lee Stockwell
Going up from $80/wk to $100/wk doesn't really rock my world. If it doubled again to $200/wk it would really be noticed, but life goes on.

My big concern is what this does to my customers' state of mind.

I hope they go up more! Thin out the weak guys. You can always tell the weak ones, they get squeamish when something falls apart or the gas goes up a little.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Lee Stockwell said:
Going up from $80/wk to $100/wk doesn't really rock my world. If it doubled again to $200/wk it would really be noticed, but life goes on.

THAT's the real issue.

Name
I'm Rick James
Lee Stockwell said:

I agree from an O/O stand point..I watch costs and like to keep them low as possible, but I have to much other things to deal with than worrying about gas going up a little bit.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
so where is this coming from Daniel???

you just decided to get on a rant about someones business??

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Daniel,

Let's see if I'm getting this right.

You have higher costs due to rising gas prices.

SO, you compensate by, LOWERING your rates and LIMITING your up selling.

Does this mean that if your costs increase (gas my get up to $6.50 a gallon) even more you will lower your rates even more and up sell even less.

What a plan!!!!

I wish my competition was as brilliant as you.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
its $3.40 here im expecting it to be 4.50 this summer.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Dave, I believe he was being facetious.

Paid $3.29 about 15 minutes ago getting ready for my big Groupon day tomorrow. LOl

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
3.97 here in Oceanside this afternoon.

I believe we will see Euro prices by the summer. It will bring another wave of cheap 6, 8, 10 cylinder engine cars and trucks to the market.

I support the smaller engines with better performance.

Interestingly enough back in Europe they have had vans, cars, and trucks, -with half the size of the engines we run here- and they get the job done with half as much gas.

I personally owned cars that were getting 45-55mpg. They were good size cars not these tiny little jokers. One of them was a Passat TDI- pretty big car.

Gas is over 3.30 per gallon here.

I am trying to figure out how a cleaner can use an EVEREST 650 HP unit in a one ton van and clean 3 rooms for 75 dollars with no hidden fees EVER, actually stand behind that and clean even the nastiest carpet for 75 dollars, and not charge a cent for clostets or baths. My hood is very spread out. It is not uncommon to drive 40 miles one way between jobs on a daily basis.

I bet they are sweating bullets at the gas pump. Idiots.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
danielc said:
Gas is over 3.30 per gallon here.

I am trying to figure out how a cleaner can use an EVEREST 650 HP unit in a one ton van and clean 3 rooms for 75 dollars with no hidden fees EVER, actually stand behind that and clean even the nastiest carpet for 75 dollars,

you talking about Crowely??
he roto scrubs 'em too, right?
If so, it really doesn't take all that much longer to clean a trashed carpet compared to a moderate soiled one

a "clean" carpet with a few complex stains can take longer than a heavy soiled rag with no complex stains

and no, I'm happy about gas prices going up
It SUCKS for EVERYONE....Directly and indirectly

and whoever said he hopes they go up more... is a fckin' idiot... :roll:

..L.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
HOLY JUMPIN' JEEBUS...
i saw $3.55.9 today...reg/cash....

Hang on boys an' girls..........

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
ascrubabove said:
Oceanslime, last time I was in that town was 1992 !

Sooo...is that something against me, or is it just a statement you wanted to make...- it having to do nothing with the topic?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Actually higher gas prices can be great for the carpet cleaner!!!

When gas prices go up. So does the price of new carpet.

This means that clients will be replacing their carpets less and it increases the value of holding on to their carpet longer with regular carpet maintenance.

Easy sales of additional rooms & protector and clients clean more ofter.

It's all money$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Dave Yoakum said:

This means that clients will be replacing their carpets less and it increases the value of holding on to their carpet longer with regular carpet maintenance.

Bingo.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
maybe if you make shit rentals in north memphis and orange mound your core business Dan you too can clean 3 rooms for 75 bucks shiteatinggrin

tracywalker

Name
Tracy
Dave Yoakum said:

I know of no one installing new carpet anyway. The trend here is laminate or tile. Higher carpet cost will just drive this trend even more. Gas going way up benefits no one in a small town with double digit unemployment. Adding an extra couple hundred dollars a month to already tight budgets isn't going to equate to easy sales of additional rooms & protector, or will clients be able to clean more often. When gas hits $5 everything else will go up too, not just the cost of carpet. I am now targeting businesses that need carpet and VCT maintained no matter how high gas gets to hopefully advoid this. I think it is silly to believe that higher prices is all money$$$$$$$$$$$$. just my 2 cents.

Dave Liahona

Finaly remembered my log in details. Petrol here converted to the US dollar is approx $10:50 a gallon, granted the gallon here is bigger but not by that much. I think its 2 pints bigger here in England. Still, its bloody expensive here. Having said that, if the price of fuel or chemicals for that matter is an issue then you aint charging enough in the first place.

Best, Dave

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
tracywalker said:
Dave Yoakum said:

I know of no one installing new carpet anyway. The trend here is laminate or tile. Higher carpet cost will just drive this trend even more. Gas going way up benefits no one in a small town with double digit unemployment. Adding an extra couple hundred dollars a month to already tight budgets isn't going to equate to easy sales of additional rooms & protector, or will clients be able to clean more often. When gas hits $5 everything else will go up too, not just the cost of carpet. I am now targeting businesses that need carpet and VCT maintained no matter how high gas gets to hopefully advoid this. I think it is silly to believe that higher prices is all money$$$$$$$$$$$$. just my 2 cents.

Thanks for a reality check, Tracy

I'm sure the knuckleheads saying it's a good thing for business had a huge jump in sales when gas hit $4.00 a gal a couple years ago.... :roll:

fckin morons

..L.T.A.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
meAt said:
tracywalker said:
Dave Yoakum said:

Thanks for a reality check, Tracy

I'm sure the knuckleheads saying it's a good thing for business had a huge jump in sales when gas hit $4.00 a gal a couple years ago.... :roll:

fckin morons

..L.T.A.

I did.

I started cleaned during the tail end of Jimmy Carter.

We tailored the sale around carpet maintenance and longevity.

It actually made up-sales easier.

It's just frame of mind.

The more they spend the more they save!!!

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Well.....I got the gas loving Genesis59. Could burn up to 3 gals per hour under full load. But I get the cleaning results I need, especially the vac on WD jobs.

I keep the tank full. If you fill up today, and gas goes up 20 cents a gallon, you made money!

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Dave Liahona said:
Finaly remembered my log in details. Petrol here converted to the US dollar is approx $10:50 a gallon, granted the gallon here is bigger but not by that much. I think its 2 pints bigger here in England. Still, its bloody expensive here. Having said that, if the price of fuel or chemicals for that matter is an issue then you aint charging enough in the first place.

Best, Dave

uh huh, and England is how big???? the size of nebraska maybe??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

shoot you guys have those TM that are in bike pulled trailers dont you??? shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin

Back
Top Bottom