Asbestos

bensurdi

Name
Benjamin Surdi
Under what circumstances would you be taking a wall sample and sending it out to be tested? Every job? Age of home?

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Ben,

As you get started I would sample if you have any indication of asbestos. It is a very expensive cleanup if you spread it through a home or business. We had a local company go bankrupt after taking a state job. They followed the specs of how the job was quoted but the floor was asbestos and the state never bothered to test it ahead of the bidding of the job.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Have you taken the RRP course yet? If not I suggest you do. Anything built before 1978 has to be tested for lead. Where you find lead, you more than likely will find asbestos.

Reactions: EDS

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
When you acquired this new WDR business did you not get a procedures manual?
Did you keep any of the previous staff?

I'd suggest you invest in as much training as you can get, basic through advanced. If you don't you're going to end up in court with your ass in a sling. Asking questions on BB can help for technical but its no way to run a business. Too risky!

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
We test all drywall mastic and vinyl. Other items are a judgement call. Many recent shipments of drywall came from China that were positive for asbestos. 5 day course for AHERA certification from the DEQ. 475 charge on every job and I know I am doing it right. If you contaminate a home built in 2010 you are still liable.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
So what do you do if the wall contains asbestos?
Rip it all out or dry with out fans?
No you must be an abatement company to do that. Its regulated and not just anyone can do the abatement.

Processes are very similar to mold remediation but mold as of today is not federally regulated. Some states have there own certification programs but not federal...yet.

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
It was sulfur before I think but not sure. Drywall that is intact is not friable so you can dry it with fans but with semi gloss paint or vinyl wallpaper you will spend a lot of money doing it. Now if it is flat paint there could still be a layer of semi gloss under it. Test test test. 85 per test if you are not an inspector but if you are then it is 475 per job. You will pay for that AHERA course in a year or so. Also different situations require different amounts and types of testing. Also if it is under 1% you are legal to take it out (in Oregon) but even at that if someone does an air suck after you are done and the space is contaminated you are still liable. If you don't have CPL coverage it is on you personally.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

TPI

Name
Ted
In Washington state department of ecology states that anything that is not glass metal or wood must be tested. It is not illegal to sell products that have asbestos it is only illegal to remove it. We just had a job last month that the roof mastic was hot. The home owner bought the mastic at home depot just this spring. Clean air athority in our area will be all over you for not testing without a license , abating with out a license, transporting of hazardous materials without a license. Check with your local athoritie's and they will provide you with documentation to keep you out of trouble.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom