Assistance on Laminated Wood

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
I have an opportunity to bid on a few locations that have (not very well cared for) laminated wood floors. The finishes are very dull due to not having properly been cared for. I have done a few scratch and recoates with BP products but I do not believe this will take care of them. They want to have their floors done 2 times per year and they are wanting them waxed. So my question is do they make a wax for wood floors? And if so would you use similar procedures as VCT or just clean with a floor cleaner then wax? Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

They are looking to have 30 locations in the next 2 years, some in western Ky, so Lee that is why I sent you the message, I told them that I had a fellow cleaner near Paducah that can service the ones they have there now if this pans out. I am going within the next 2 weeks to do one location and then we will see if both parties are happy and they want to pay my price. They average around 500 sq ft each, 80 of which is tile & grout that they want cleaned and sealed.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Dave you do realize that this

What is ingredient that makes LamanatorPlus so beneficial for restoring my laminate or hardwood flooring?
It is a 20% solid thermal plastic acrylic.

is basiclly what floor finish is (wax)...i have looked at the system and am not impressed....

back to the original??.....have you done a search on the brand of flooring???...do they know??

give me a call i have 2 that i have done recently and have achieved 2 different results, becuase of 2 different floors

801-898-6210

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Thanks Doug,
They are supposed to get back to me by Friday on manuf. I will post and give you a call when I get this info.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
goomes said:
floorguy said:
It is a 20% solid thermal plastic acrylic.

is basiclly what floor finish is (wax)...

Plastic acrylic is similar to wax?

Floor FINISH.....yeah....they all have there little tweaks to what exactly they have, but yeah...ever seen it dry and peel off of the bucket or lid???

its plasticy...

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I've had very good resuts with the laminatorplus products. Not just the finish. It also come with a cleaner to prepare the surface. It does not peal off the floor.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Often laminate floors look bad because of a build-up of the wrong cleaning solutions causing a film or haze. They may benefit from cleaning more than applying any kind of finish.

Try cleaning with the BP Wood Floor Cleaner you have. Similar procedure to a hardwood floor, but use a microfiber or cotton bonnet instead of the maroon floor pad that would be used on wood.

You can try finish on a small area to see if you like the results. Many finishes will improve the appearance short term, but can peel off or flake off in high traffic areas. Several manufacturers of laminated floors state that any finish will void the warranty.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
ahhh yes, but when you go to the mfg site and look up the maintence it tells you a finish to use....usually a johnson or spartan product...

i did 2 floors...one that i just buffed out, and 1 that i have kept finish on, they scrub and recoat every 3 mths...and i keep track of how i am putting it on....

with all that said....thats why they make laminates for a wax free floor.....problem is they all look like shit after x amount of time...i dont care who or what it is...NONE of them hold up like they promise

Name
Lee Stockwell
Most commercial laminate is NOT wood. It runs the gamut from the very low end that has a very thin "wear" layer akin to woodgrain shelf paper over pressed wood (think sawdust), to the better Pergo equivalents that have a decent AC rating.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Ok they finally got back to me. The name of the product used is Matworks WMLVT 7"X48" Plank. It was manufactored especially for Walmart for some of their frontall sub-lease shops. Again as I mentioned before the two that I went and looked at had probably not been cared for well at all and had a very dull finish appearance.

I put a call into Matworks yesterday however, I think they will be hard to get through to. So Doug I will call you today after my last 2pm job.

Any further suggestions greatly appreciated. I will also check out the basiccoatings.com website. Also, I will not be able to use the truck mount since they do not have their own access door and I wouldn't even think of tromping through wally world, so will have to suffice with bucket/mops/175 buffer equipment.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
You certainly don't need to use a truckmount on laminate and likely not even a 175.

At least watch the video on laminatorplus to get a clue.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Thanks Dave, I should have explained further. They also have restroom/s with tile & grout hench the preference for the truck mount a whole lot easier than the old fashion elbow grease method.

dgargan

We also have had great lasting results with Laminator Plus system. We do a fair amount hardwood and laminate and have never been disappointed

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Ok from their web site here is their maintenance suggestions. Has anyone use Taski's Vision Star?

Spray Buffing
Floor should be cleanedwith a neutral detergent,
rinsedwith cleanwater and allowed to dry.
Two light coats of a commercial floor finish, such
as Taski’s VisionMatte or Vision Star, should be
applied. Regularmaintenance should include
sweeping, spot cleaning and spray buffingwith a
polishingmachine. This is the least expensive and
most effectivemethod.
Full Build Up Coating
Floor can be coatedwith a sealer and then
several coats of a high-quality commercial floor
coating. Floor should be swept regularly,
washedwith a neutral detergent, then stripped
and recoated at pre-calculated intervals, or
when it becomes apparent it can accept no
morewear.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
BLewis said:
Ok from their web site here is their maintenance suggestions. Has anyone use Taski's Vision Star?

Spray Buffing
Floor should be cleanedwith a neutral detergent,
rinsedwith cleanwater and allowed to dry.
Two light coats of a commercial floor finish, such
as Taski’s VisionMatte or Vision Star, should be
applied. Regularmaintenance should include
sweeping, spot cleaning and spray buffingwith a
polishingmachine. This is the least expensive and
most effectivemethod.
Full Build Up Coating
Floor can be coatedwith a sealer and then
several coats of a high-quality commercial floor
coating. Floor should be swept regularly,
washedwith a neutral detergent, then stripped
and recoated at pre-calculated intervals, or
when it becomes apparent it can accept no
morewear.

Billy.
You can give me a call..?
My # is in your last couple of PM's...!

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
see just like i said......commercial floor products...

and i have used taski on a rubber floor that "said" it HAD to be that...after a few times i tried regular stuff and it worked just as well...

do it like we talked about and you should be fine

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Ok, demo job is complete. Went to this newer location and to be honest the floor was not in bad shape at all. However, they wanted a glossy finish. So I cleaned with squeeky clean X 2 to get off all reside. Buffed with a white pad on the second app of squeeky and got some wax/white residue up which I followed by buffing up with Glad Pads (Thanks John G.) However, even though they looked much better at this point they were originally a satin finish so no way to make that shine. So I buffed again with red pad, rinsed with damp clean mop and put wax on as they requested. Outcome was just what they wanted, now we'll wait and see how it holds up. If we get 6 months out of it that will be ok since they are going to have it done every 6 months.
Can't wait till the next one or the one I looked at originally cuz we can make a much bigger before and after with it. And I believe the clean and polish just might suffice for it.

LaminateFloor005-1.jpg

Thanks to everyone for their help and advise and very useful tips. In the end they wanted wax so the monkey is on their back.

TimP

Just so you know that stuff that's in wal mart is vinyl floor. A VCT. Just colored and cut differently. It looks like a vinyl floor to me. You should have no problem with whatever floor finish you use. That's not a laminate or a wood. And if it was they did a crappy job because the joints should be staggered in laminate and wood.

For laminates and engineered woods you should clean with a wood product. And recoat with a wood finish product made for the floor. And yes floor guy is right people call floor finish wax. And it's not wax at all it's acrylic. Very similar to the stuff women get their nails done with, ever notice the same smell coming from those nail parlors????

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom