At what temperature..

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
does the water in the truckmount freeze causing damage?

i ask because the other day it was 28 and my hx was frozen but it did not break anything. i just got to my first job and it had thawed out , with out any leaks.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
If you detect or even suspect any amount of ice or slush in your lines, DO NOT start your machine until it thaws. Starting a machine that can allow the slush to move around can cause hydraulic pressure that may create even more damage than the freeze itself.

Always thaw slow as well.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
dealtimeman said:
does the water in the truckmount freeze causing damage?

as Dink-a-rama said, water freezes at 32

sounds like it wasn't cold long enough to make enough ice to pop any corks on your TM .

longer periods at 28 is sho-nuff cold enough to blow pipes
it would just take longer than at 18, 8 or minus 28

..L.T.A.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You're probably alright, but don't be surprised if you still don't have some problems with fatigued or stressed brass or metal.

It doesn't always break after the first use, it may be days or a week later.

Hopefully it won't, good luck!

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
32º freezes water, as we all know. Don't you put a heater in at night, or park in a warm garage? Don't take a chance on nothing happening inside your van when it hits 28º.

As Larry mentioned, the length of the freeze determines the damage. As Jim pointed out, slow thaw or you will cause damage yourself by trying to use the machine when it still has frozen internal places.

Years ago I did just that - tried to run a frozen machine. We had a night of 29º and I didn't put a heater in that night. When I tried starting the machine, the Cat pump wouldn't pressurize, so I kept trying to turn the clutch ON and then OFF again and again to get it going. One of the connecting rods in the Cat snapped in two, and that was it for that pump that morning. I do keep a backup, so I had to switch out pumps for the day. Then I had to order a new connecting rod, seal, etc., for the Cat.

That Cat pump I repaired is still good today.

Just a few weeks ago I had to have brakes done on my Astro van (truckmount inside). They left the van out overnight (27º) even though they said they would keep it in the garage. I did the slow thaw thing, all day. Luckily, the only permanent damage was the high pressure gauge, and the water temp gauge (delicate things go first). I had to get both new gauges and replace them.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
did u charge them for the parts you had to replace?

T

The Magician

consider your self lucky and get one of those temperature guages at Best Buy.

My first truck mount that I bought had been frozen at one point in time. They replaced the one heat X change that was leaking. Every thing that was related to wather on that thing failed in one year. Pressure pump, main heat X changed,chemical pump. Machine only had 600 hour on it when everthing finally went bad.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
i put a heater in the truck but my main hx is out side the truck. i will be just more carfeull from now on and empty my heat excahnger at the end of the day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom