Austin stone hearth

Jwalk90

Name
Joshua Walker
Hey guys, had this as part of a job package and it turned out great except for 1 spot. Wanted to tap yalls knowledge and see what yall think. I used 30 second clean, it is probably just repackaged bleach because it smells just like it. Cleaned up great. But there is 1 spot the customer and I arent thrilled with and now Im not sure what product or method can be used to remedy this dark spot.

20200822_104544.jpg 20200822_102754.jpg 20200824_135253.jpg Screenshot_20200824-135314_Gallery.jpg

Jwalk90

Name
Joshua Walker
you could try a granite counter poultice to prove me wrong..

Ah, you're the man with the plan Mikey! I'm going to give the poultice a shot and will report back! Turns out I need a check reissue unfortunatley, since my bank forgot about customer service, need to seek another bank and she will see that I care if I do a poultice and if it doesn't come out then I can let her know there isn't much else to be done. Thoughts on ingredients? I want to play it safe, so should i do acetone and baking soda? Thanks again for the poultice angle man.

Mikey P

Administrator
Ah, you're the man with the plan Mikey! I'm going to give the poultice a shot and will report back! Turns out I need a check reissue unfortunatley, since my bank forgot about customer service, need to seek another bank and she will see that I care if I do a poultice and if it doesn't come out then I can let her know there isn't much else to be done. Thoughts on ingredients? I want to play it safe, so should i do acetone and baking soda? Thanks again for the poultice angle man.

if thats a gas fireplace DO NOT USE Acetone in the poultice.

Jwalk90

Name
Joshua Walker
I would hate to chance it and didn't even think about acetone volatility next to a fire place (so embarassing). I will just use water and baking soda, if it was my home and I had control over the environment I would use acetone. I don't want to put that responsibility on her. Just in case anything can happen. It is mid summer here in Texas, and they might not have it lit since they just had it converted. But man, that would've sucked.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
I'm wondering if that's not oil of some sort that seeped into the stone and that's why it didn't clean off. It is right under the hinge. Maybe someone lubed the hinge and it dripped....

Reactions: Jwalk90

Jwalk90

Name
Joshua Walker
I'm wondering if that's not oil of some sort that seeped into the stone and that's why it didn't clean off. It is right under the hinge. Maybe someone lubed the hinge and it dripped....
That is a very possible theory that I didnt consider. I would expect it to be on the other side too though? UNLESS, they goofed on the first shot and realized, were more cautious the 2nd go round.

Todd Slamen

Name
Todd Slamen
you'll have to put plastic wrap over your poultice to slow up evaporation, remove in 24 hrs let stone dry 24, hrs, take pictures before and after compare pictures, dont trust your memory. If stains gone great, if looks better do another poultice, If the same a different poultice. I would start with acetone, take the hearth outside. I have had to poultice 6 time to take stain from limestone. I have also taught customers how to poultice so I dont have to come back.

Jwalk90

Name
Joshua Walker
Apologies for not replying earlier. So I did baking soda water poultice and saw no results. Thankfully, she was very pleased with her 2 restrooms and the cleaning/mortarjob on the hearth. I will want to try the chlorinated solvent next time. Unfortunatley taking it outside wasnt a possibility. I was razor thin on my bid as it was.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom