auto convertible top cleaning...anyone??

GRHeacock

Convertible tops used to be cotton canvas- some still might be.

A friend with a Corvette convertible has an acrylic canvas top.

My Buick with a canvas top (it is called a Phantom Top) is also acrylic canvas.

Soap and water, with a fairly stiff brush should do the trick.

I harldy ever wash my own car, usually go through the car wash place- that cleans my top just fine.

Gary

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
i have a 97 camaro and i clean the top on 600 psi with fiber plus then a water rinse. i use a sprayer wand with a 9503 tip. works great . i get it 1-2 inches away on the mold areas and it comes very clean with ease. i usually spend about 20 minutes when i do it. top looks almost new. hope this helps.

gene

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
gene so you are saying to just pretty much pressure wash it at 600 psi??
i wonder if i can pre spray it with cobbs powermax?
thanks for the info
dave

Name
jack zerkie
Make sure whatever you you use that you clean only in the shade no sunlight also wet the lower section of the painted areas of the car. When I detailed cars used many things westley white wall cleaned,or high ph cleaner witha brush. The main thing is to keep water rinse on the paint at all times. jz

Ron K

Cleaned a newer, Jaguar it cleaned up great. Call a dealer and ask what that particular car-maker uses for material but what we cleaned seemed like" Sunbrella Type" material. Tarp the body so you don't scratch the paint, we also just used a pump up sprayer, minimal agitation and a portable to Vacuum/extract.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Newer tops are acrylic or polyester, some older or replacement tops are vinyl coated cotton, only really old tops are cotton.

Anything that is appropriate for outdoor fabrics should be OK, as the newer tops have to be made to withstand a car wash. Apply, scrub LIGHTLY with a soft brush, rinse. Apply appropriate outdoor fluorochemical treatment. Find out what the maker recommends before you take the job! (For example, Sunbrella will require you to use 303, at a significant extra cost over what you're used to paying for protectant.)

If you use the wrong stuff, you can damage the color. If you use water over 80 degrees, you'll shrink the top. If you use a high-pressure washer, you'll risk damage. It might have leaked before you started, but any convertible top or boat cover you do will leave you with the liability that it will leak when you're done. Even light degrees of moss can damage the top to the point that it will leak when clean. Boat tops may still be sewn with cotton thread, which can come to pieces as you clean. Check out replacement costs before you decide you can make a quick buck doing this.

Winsol makes specific chemicals for outdoor fabrics, or see what's available at the local boat shops.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
yep, i basically pressure wash it with fiber plus and then rinse with water. it hasn't hurt it yet. I have pressure washed some sunbrella awnings to remove mold that accumilated and I did it the same way. They were blue and turned out fine. I didn't pretreat with anything, just let the pressure do its job. We also clean outside furniture which we pretreat with fabric prespray and the scrub with a white brush. It can be anything from sunbrella to acrylic. we have lots of mold here in south florida.

gene

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom