Auxiliary fuel pump installation?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I got the fuel tap installed today. That was actually relatively easy. My questions is where to install the fuel pump and how to wire it up. Should I install it under the van or on the machine? I know it’s better to install close to the tank, but then I’m not sure how to wire it. If I ground the negative to the vans frame and run the positive to the machine ignition would it drain the vans battery?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Under so the heat doesn't damage it in the summer.

On ours we always grounded it to the frame with one of the bolts, I don't know about draining the battery?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
The allowable location)s) of the fuel pump depends on the characteristics of the particular fuel pump, e.g. it's lift and pressure characteristics. However, fuel pumps generally work much better at creating pressure, than drawing against vacuum or load. Therefore, you would ordinarily want to locate the fuel pump at, or near the fuel source (the tank). This means usually under the van, mounted to a chassis/frame component. Also make sure the orientation is correct. Some fuel pumps must be mounted in a particular orientation horizontally/vertically in order to have any longevity.

Wiring the positive power lead on the pump to the ignition post on the TM ignition switch is ordinary. If the TM frame has good continuity with the van chassis, then you can also use the van chassis as your fuel pump ground. No worry about draining the van battery.

Name
Lee Stockwell
We mount ours under the van above a frame rail. With due respect to Murphy's Law we run two wires to the pump and ground it directly to the TM. I run them thru flex metal conduit to minimize potential for tearing them up.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Thanks for the replies. It’s been a hard lesson to learn but next time around I’m going to buy a new TM, let someone else install it, then trade it in every 5 years or so.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom