Average room sizes

-JB-

Name
JB
What would you say they are?
(This is for phone training purposes/creating phone estimates)

as for mine...

Living Room
Small 120-169sq.ft.
Medium 170-220sq.ft.
Large 221-300 sq.ft
XL 310 & up

Dining Room
Small 80-140sq.ft.
Medium 141-200sq.ft.
Large 201-250 sq.ft
XL 251 & up

Family Room/Den
Small 120-169sq.ft.
Medium 170-220sq.ft.
Large 221-300 sq.ft
XL 310 & up

Master Bedroom
Small 120-169sq.ft.
Medium 170-220sq.ft.
Large 221-300 sq.ft
XL 310 & up

Bedroom
Small 80-140sq.ft.
Medium 141-200sq.ft.
Large 201-250 sq.ft
XL 251 & up

Sound about right to you?

CleanEvo

Sounds about right.

Do you have prices for each different room? I thought charging by the room was supposed to make things easier?

Able 1

Name
Keith
Living Room
Average 180-275 sq.ft

Dining Room
Average 120-160sq.ft.

Family Room/Den
Small 120-169sq.ft.
Medium 170-220sq.ft. ? get an idea on the phone
Large 221-300 sq.ft
XL 310 & up

Master Bedroom
Average cleanable area 120-180sq.ft.

Bedroom
average cleanable area 80-140sq.ft.

You really don't need to make it that complicated... What are you going to do ask the custy on the phone, Sq. footage? forget about that!! Make it a general price per room and let them know that if the room size is over lets say 200sq. there will be an additional charge.. What I usually do is tell them anything over 200 but under 300sq is 1 1/2 rooms over 300 is two rooms.. You really don't get screwed over that often and doing it this way makes things simple.. JMO

-JB-

Name
JB
I charge per sq. ft.

This is just so you can offer accurate phone quotes, works well about 90% of the time.
Start by telling them we can work up a price right over the phone, can you tell me is your LR a S,M, or L LR based on other homes you've been in? People usually know that, then use the chart to determine approximate size, now you have a basis of comparison for the rest of the job.

"So you LR is likely about 240 sq. ft., and your DR in comparison is? Smaller? Larger?" So on and so on.

Has worked well for us in the past.

GRHeacock

While over the phone estimates work for some people, I preferred to see it before giving a price estimate/quote.

The main reason is- "How dirty is it?"

The customer says- "Barely soiled."

This means it is The Pit From Hell.

If she says- "It is filthy", that usually means it is almost pristine, and only needs a quick touchup.

You ask if there are any stains.

She says "None."

This means it is fully occupied with urine, red beverage spills, scribbled with kid's crayons or felt tip markers, etc.

If she says "A few", this means Sherlock Holmes could not find them.

So..... I want to see it before giving a price. The customer is ALWAYS prejudiced either for it or against it.

They never know their own measurements.

"How big is it? "

She says- "Average sized."

This means you cannot see the far end because of the curvature of the Earth.

She says- "It's very large."

This means about the size of a broom closet.

You get the idea.

Gary

CleanEvo

Gary is totally right. It's always amazing that the customers who say the carpet is dirty are the cleanest jobs, then the customers that say they're barely dirty, those one's are trashed.

I found the same thing when I try by the room pricing. It works out 25% of the time and the rest of the time you're kicking yourself out the door for not making enough money.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Gary is totally right. It's always amazing that the customers who say the carpet is dirty are the cleanest jobs, then the customers that say they're barely dirty, those one's are trashed.

I found the same thing when I try by the room pricing. It works out 25% of the time and the rest of the time you're kicking yourself out the door for not making enough money.

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:26 pm

GRHeacock
Post subject: Re: Average room sizes

While over the phone estimates work for some people, I preferred to see it before giving a price estimate/quote.

The main reason is- "How dirty is it?"

The customer says- "Barely soiled."

This means it is The Pit From Hell.

If she says- "It is filthy", that usually means it is almost pristine, and only needs a quick touchup.

You ask if there are any stains.

She says "None."

This means it is fully occupied with urine, red beverage spills, scribbled with kid's crayons or felt tip markers, etc.

If she says "A few", this means Sherlock Holmes could not find them.

So..... I want to see it before giving a price. The customer is ALWAYS prejudiced either for it or against it.

They never know their own measurements.

"How big is it? "

She says- "Average sized."

This means you cannot see the far end because of the curvature of the Earth.

She says- "It's very large."

This means about the size of a broom closet.

You get the idea.

Gary
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

While that is the drawback to room pricing, most people aren't that psycotic.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom