Axminster Construction

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
OK the difference between a Wilton (which has dead yarn) material buried. The Velvet does not. This is why we are capable of using seam tape on velvet constructions. On a Wilton any material that has 3 rows of yarn (3 colors in one row) should be hand sewed. The reason being is that the buried yarn under the backside ride on the hard seam tape . This creates friction and eventiontally will wear through to the face. The Wilton in actuality would be harder to stretch in the lenght than a Velvet. Why? Alot more material in the row. Makes it stronger ,therefore in the velvet you will get more out of the lenght. Now speaking of Stretching what about Axminster. How the the materials stretch better in the lenght or width. What does the face yarn on Axminster resemble. Anyone know.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Re: The velvet weave .

Harry, I'm interested in this, just been extremely busy for the past week and looking like it won't stop any time soon.

Saturday morning here and on my way out for another day.

I have quite a bit of axminster here in my shed so will take a couple of photos later and put them up with thoughts when I get in later this afternoon.

John

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John

IMG_3814.jpg

IMG_3815.jpg

John

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John

With the Axminster, you'll always get good stretch in the length but minimal in the width.

Jute filler cords running across the width seem to stop the stretch.

The length has the cotton threads and you can get a good stretch that way.

I've almost never seen a proper hand sewn woven carpet. Most that I come across are still done with heat bond tape (traditional) as seen from this piece above.

This came out of a commercial building that was flooded. About 100 lineal meters of broadloom 12' axeminster. $300/meter supply only price.

It pulled the tackless out of the concrete floor and pulled a good 6" in from each end as it shrunk in the length. Minimal if any shrinkage in the width.

John

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
John to answer 1 of your questions is that an Axminster does not require to be hand sewed. It can be taped. What makes the velvet and Axminster simular is they both can accept tape. Why? If you look at both backsides (not backing) Wovens don't have backings. You will notice pourosity. This is what will imbed the seam tape(Glue to adhere) to the back. Unlike some of your wiltons. Mostly any material woven through the back can be taped. Ok . Now the Axminster does require a special stitch on cross seams only. This is the most difficult stitch to do. This stitch is required due to the construction of the Axminster. Also the Axminster is capable of handling the most colors of all the wovens. . About the face yarn it will always be a cut pile and never looped. Can any one tell us the 2 looms that Axminster uses.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Look at Johns disected Axminster and describe what we learned so far. This is why the Ax won't bend in the width . Also why you get minimal stretch in the width. Observe closely.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom