bad diesel fuel and you

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
guess a few people had this problem so was asked to start a thread...

filled up diesel and got a terrible batch of it with lots of water in it. The gas station is about 6 min drive from my place. Went to start the truck the next day and the fuel filter light and engine light was on and the engine sounded very restricted.

Drained the fuel filter and sure enough, water!
Drained the tank and sure enough, water!

Now what has happened is the engine is in D rate ( basically safe mode) limiting the engine to 2000rpm.

Has anyone else had this exact problem with a diesel?

Thank goodness for back up equipment!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
It's possible that water got through the separator and damaged your fuel injection system. You may get by with new injectors or you may have to replace everything. Or, you may find that safe mode is exactly what you're in, and a reset is all that's needed. What does your owner's manual say?

We used to buy fuel from a company on the other side of our fence, but after complaining (the owner said they didn't have any other complaints) and finally a $3,500 bill for fuel system repairs we stopped buying from them. The shop said there was no question that water in the fuel did the damage, the fuel station owner said, "Sue me. It's not my problem. No one else is complaining." They're now digging up their leaky tanks and paying to clean up the environmental damage under EPA supervision, so somebody else must have complained.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Used to buy D at a station across the street from our shop, Crystal Flash. I changed fuel filters at least every 9-10k due to the warning lights.

We moved, and we now buy from Speedway.

I'm now changing every 20k (what's recommended) without a warning light.

Thankfully never any fuel system damage.

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
yeah thankfully i didn't run the truck for more then 8 seconds with the lights on.
Pulled all the old fuel out and put a new filter on and truck started great, sounded like it self...

Seems two things happened at the same time....by fluke

got the flash codes off the machine and coming up with a problem of the vnt turbo :(
isn't creating enough boost. Without pulling the turbo off and inspecting it hard to say if its either the actuator or the turbo it self...oh joy.

Anyone ever replace a turbo? Scared what that price tag might be..

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Yes just did another one last month. Not very hard to do yourself, just very time consuming. I have mine rebuilt for about 500 with. Three year parts warranty.

Find a turbo rebuilder/remanufacturer in your area and if you don't want to take it off see who he recommends.

What year is you truck?

On the two trucks we have replaced the turbos, both times the exhaust housing was cracked from the actuator all the way across the housing. Housing for our turbos were only 150 so it wasn't too bad.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
And if your turbo is cracked or loosing boost for any reason you will love the way the truck feels after you get the turbo in new order again. You will climb hills a little better and accelerate a little quicker.

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
its a 2007 ud 1400, according to Nissan and hino (its a hino J05) the vnt is part of the turbo and these cant be rebuilt...?
its not bad though, a new turbo is 1500 for all the parts.

If you or anyone else has had a UD variable turbo rebuild if would love to chat with you.

Back
Top Bottom